Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks that's what I was looking for, now I can place the order.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I pre-ordered from lapg. It arrived last saturday, the 23rd.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone that ordered from LAPG heard anything yet?

yes, i received an email with shipping notification this afternoon.

Same here. I was a little upset when I saw people with them already in hand while LAPG was still saying backordered. Hopefully be getting it tomorrow or Monday!

I pre-ordered from lapg. It arrived last saturday, the 23rd.

Nice Got mine in today...itching to get home and throw it on!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, these are nice. I like the one cell. Price is great. Goodbye Surefire.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered from Primary Arms.  They have the RM2 for $102 until Monday.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had good luck w/a number of TLR-1's in the past, nary a problem. I'm tempted by these new lights but good reviews are just about non-existent.
So, rather than start a new thread w/a poll, do you consider these new Streamlights gtg on a HD carbine? Thx!...
Tomac

ETA: 350 lumens sufficient on a carbine or go for the 625?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow, these are nice. I like the one cell. Price is great. Goodbye Surefire.
View Quote

Just purchased one.

I like that I can swap to a AA in a pinch.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had good luck w/a number of TLR-1's in the past, nary a problem. I'm tempted by these new lights but good reviews are just about non-existent.
So, rather than start a new thread w/a poll, do you consider these new Streamlights gtg on a HD carbine? Thx!...
Tomac

View Quote

That's what I bought mine for...but I want more of a "flood" than a "throw"
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tomac

View Quote

I've had mine for about 2+ weeks.  So far so good.  I haven't got a lot of trigger time with it, but what I have had, it's worked well.  I will be at the range on the 18th and get some more rounds down range with it.

For me, I put the RM1 on my 10" AR pistol.  It is perfect for what I am using it for (HD / indoor / closer range gun).  For a work gun or something that you will be shooting farther distances, I'd go with the RM2.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone here confirmed if this will work with Scout mounts? Some google searching have a few guys saying yes.

Specifically I am wanting the geissele mount for my MK4 rail.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anyone here confirmed if this will work with Scout mounts? Some google searching have a few guys saying yes.

Thanks
View Quote

Yes it will.  I am using an Arisaka Scout mount with mine.  I know some other guys using various Scout Mounts on theirs too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes it will.  I am using an Arisaka Scout mount with mine.  I know some other guys using various Scout Mounts on theirs too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Awesome. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, I originally dismissed these, but I am digging the single cell!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

As had I. I think I'll give the RM1 a try as an experiment.
Tomac
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know if the pressure switch will fit the Magpul Illumination Kit's pressure switch holder? Thx!
Tomac

ETA: The pressure switch cable appears to be permanently attached to the tailcap. If so, once the pressure switch is attached to the handguard, to change batteries you'd have to either remove the light and unscrew it from the tailcap or remove the pressure switch in order to unscrew the tailcap from the body of the light, correct?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys, mine shipped Friday. Should be here mid-week, finally upgrading from zip-tied handheld on my FSP

ETA: meant to quote regarding my LAPG question
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I have 2 600Us, a 300B, 2 Arisaka/Malkoff 300Ts and an Elzetta CQB.

I am thinking about trying a Streamlight RM1 on my traveling gun, a Sig M400 pistol with Shockwave blade and Aimpoint Pro. Had been using the Arisaka Scout, but this cheaper option with more versatility is calling my name.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw a stack of both the single cell and dual cell at a shop I frequent. I want a single cell but he had them at $140. I like to give him business (and have a lot) but they are $99 on ebay and $109 at JBO's. For $140 the scout beside it looked pretty good at $219.

These did look very nice though, with the overall appearance of quality. I like how the SF lights look and didn't want to cheapen up a higher end(ish) build I am doing but after seeing them in person I do not have that fear any more.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#19]
ProTac RM1 on my BCM KMR with Magpul MBUS Pro front sight and our Inline Scout Mount. These lights seem pretty decent for the price.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do these have the same tailcap activation as the scouts? Press in slightly for momentary, fully press for constant.
View Quote

Yes, it's similar to the Surefire Z68 tailcap.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#22]

I like the fact that they're easily modified to work with MLOK. That's going to be perfect for my MI rails

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have been following this thread, but I generally am a deep lurker here and almost never post (I think this is #2).  Anyhow, I wanted to report this datapoint...

I received my Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 1 in the mail today.  It looks nice and is about what I expected but, it only worked correctly for a few minutes.  Multi-tap started acting weird.  Strobe was not a true strobe, but was randomly switching between high and low at irregular intervals (such as sometimes staying on high few seconds at a time).  Ten tap programming would not work consistently (only a few times) and eventually it failed and stayed in low mode and stopped responding to any taps.  Same problem with both switches and with different batteries.  I did get it to work somewhat again twice after that if I let it sit a few minutes, but it would again act weird.  I can imagine it might have passed initial QC as it doesn't fail immediately, but it is really DOA.

I can see others using this as an opportunity to jump down Streamlights throat, but anyone can have a defective item, so for now I don't hold this against Streamlight.  I already have an RMA to exchange it for another identical unit.  I am mostly just posting this on the off chance there is a trend and maybe QC issues with the first batch?  I actually couldn't find much in the way of examples online of people having this type of problem with a Streamlight.  If the replacement is defective I will reply.
View Quote

Just wanted to report back.  My replacement unit arrived and it seems to work just fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Are these multi or single mode?

ETA: Disregard, just read the breach bang clear review.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my RM1's from DSGArms today. For those of you still using the legacy MOE handguards, here's what I've done:

I like vfg's (but am not married to them) and dislike tapeswitches (but I'll use them if needbe).
So, is a practical setup possible for the shorter RM1 while using the Magpul vfg w/o using a tapeswitch?

Technically, yes. However, the RM1's shorter length places the button farther forward than I prefer to avoid FSB shadow (doable, but not optimal, see pic below).
Besides this requires either shooting all the time w/the support hand thumb on the left side of the handguard (again, doable but not optimal) or moving the support hand thumb to the left side only when anticipating use of the light.

Next I tried the Magpul Scout Mount. The RM1 mounted perfectly w/the included Magpul hardware just as easily as my Surefire M600U's. For use on the left side of the rifle it's necessary to remove the RM1's base and attach it directly to the Scout Mount. For use on the right side of the rifle, you can still use the RM1's factory mount to attach it directly to the Scout Mount.

Once mounted, the RM1's button is easily accessed w/the support hand thumb w/o shifting your grip, w/both momentary & constant-on easy to choose w/little chance of accidentally activating the wrong mode (speaking of modes, I prefer High-only but YMMV, the Ten-Tap was easy to set).

Tested the RM1 in the darkened basement at my work and the 350 lumen hotspot looks good but peripheral spill (while definitely adequate) isn't as good as I remember from my M600U. I'll have to do a nightshoot sometime soon for testing just out of curiosity.

Bottom line: For less than $100 I'm impressed w/this little light. No, I wouldn't take it on deployment with me but so far I have no reason to doubt it's adequate for my civilian needs (YMMV).
Tomac

ETA: Total weight of RM1 w/battery, Magpul Scout Mount & all mounting hardware is 4.95oz.

RM1 on Magpul Scout Mount:

Close-up of RM1 on Magpul Scout Mount:

Both Scout Mount & VFG setups:

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Before going into my issue I should shay I have contacted Streamlight and they have been VERY helpful so far and are sending me out new parts to try and solve it.

I picked up the Protac RM2. Noticed an issue with mine. With the tape switch the light will "blink" off and on real fast as I rack the bolt, send it into battery with the bolt release or knock the buttstock lightly on the ground to simulate recoil. Basically I think there is a battery bounce issue with mine, but this ONLY happens with the tape switch, the thumb switch has zero issues. I am still using the tape switch as I wait for the parts in the mail since this "blink" does not turn off the light when activated.

Anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Before going into my issue I should shay I have contacted Streamlight and they have been VERY helpful so far and are sending me out new parts to try and solve it.

I picked up the Protac RM2. Noticed an issue with mine. With the tape switch the light will "blink" off and on real fast as I rack the bolt, send it into battery with the bolt release or knock the buttstock lightly on the ground to simulate recoil. Basically I think there is a battery bounce issue with mine, but this ONLY happens with the tape switch, the thumb switch has zero issues. I am still using the tape switch as I wait for the parts in the mail since this "blink" does not turn off the light when activated.

Anyone else notice this?
View Quote

I appreciate you posting this problem.  I Just grabbed my rifle and gave it a good banging around, knocked the buttstock several times on the ground, and cycled the bolt and slammed it home several times.  My Streamlight ProTac RM2 remained dark the whole time.  

Here is a picture of mine with how I set it up.  One thing I found out is I don't like the constant on switch on the pressure pad to be located towards me.  I am going to turn the pressure pad around so I have to stretch to reach the constant on switch.  Funny, though, most pictures I see are set up the way my picture shows it.  

One other thing I don't like - the two very silver screw holes from the removed picatinny rail adapter.  Those bare screw holes are screaming for some black paint.  

Very bright - but not too bright.  I'm glad I didn't get the single cell.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I appreciate you posting this problem.  I Just grabbed my rifle and gave it a good banging around, knocked the buttstock several times on the ground, and cycled the bolt and slammed it home several times.  My Streamlight ProTac RM2 remained dark the whole time.  

Here is a picture of mine with how I set it up.  One thing I found out is I don't like the constant on switch on the pressure pad to be located towards me.  I am going to turn the pressure pad around so I have to stretch to reach the constant on switch.  Funny, though, most pictures I see are set up the way my picture shows it.  

One other thing I don't like - the two very silver screw holes from the removed picatinny rail adapter.  Those bare screw holes are screaming for some black paint.  

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o525/nelsd99/AR15/Aero%20Precision%20AR15/IMG_20160506_120159430_1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone else notice this?

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o525/nelsd99/AR15/Aero%20Precision%20AR15/IMG_20160506_120159430_1.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I apologize I should have clarified that this happens when the light is ON only and "blinks" off but comes right back on. Could you try again? Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone else notice this?

I reinserted the factory mount screws after removing the mount.
Tomac

ETA: It appears the Streamlights have the same lockout feature as the Surefires: Rotate the clicky-switch tailcap at least 1/4 turn counterclockwise to deactivate both the momentary & constant-on.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anyone else notice this?
View Quote

Mine has been fine.  I haven't noticed any problems with the "blinking" when I was shooting with it.  I also just went and grabbed it and tried knocking the buttstock on the ground, etc and no problems.

Since you said it doesn't happen with the clicky cap, I would assume is was a problem with the tape switch.  

Keep us posted when Streamlight gets you a new one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mine has been fine.  I haven't noticed any problems with the "blinking" when I was shooting with it.  I also just went and grabbed it and tried knocking the buttstock on the ground, etc and no problems.

Since you said it doesn't happen with the clicky cap, I would assume is was a problem with the tape switch.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone else notice this?

Spoke with Streamlight, there was a mix up in the shipping department and they are trying to figure out what is going on so they can get me a new tape switch.  

So in the meantime I did more testing, I can get it to blink off (turns back on immediately) with the thumb switch sometimes, but only with a pretty hard impact (specifically sending the bolt into battery from hitting the bolt release). Most of the time it is fine. I did stick a balled up rubber band in the coils of the tape switch cap to increase stiffness of the spring, which helped a lot with my issue....

I doubt those with the RM1 version would experience this since it is only one battery.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Took mine out again today and ran it.  0 issues with my light.  Tried running it with both the momentary and constant on pressure switch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Took mine out again today and ran it.  0 issues with my light.  Tried running it with both the momentary and constant on pressure switch.
View Quote

Good to hear, thanks. New tape switch did not work.  Spoke with CS again and they are sending a new one over to me and wanted to know exactly how to duplicate the issue since this is a new product.

Needless to say, I am impressed with how they have been dealing with this and have complete confidence it will be resolved.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Compared it to our TRL-1s which we have on our carbines at work now (which have no held up well)

Seems to have a tighter and father throw and is also somewhat yellower than the TRL-1. The TRL-1 has a better spill and weirdly, I'd almost say brighter although the lumens advertised say otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Okay, I tried banging my rifle around again with the light ON - and it does blink when slamming bolt closed or bumping stock on the ground.  

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this....  I haven't removed the tape switch and attempted the same 'bump' test with just the clicky tail cap.  Although I probably should.  

I don't think a minor blink when shooting the gun would be a big problem for me.

I'd be interested to see how Streamlight handles this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Okay, I tried banging my rifle around again with the light ON - and it does blink when slamming bolt closed or bumping stock on the ground.  

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this....  I haven't removed the tape switch and attempted the same 'bump' test with just the clicky tail cap.  Although I probably should.  

I don't think a minor blink when shooting the gun would be a big problem for me.

I'd be interested to see how Streamlight handles this.
View Quote

That is the exact issue I am having. I told them it is likely due to battery bounce since the tape switch spring is weaker than the clicky tail cap. Informed them the "home made" resolution I found was to put pieces of a rubber band in the spring, which increased the tension and resolved the issue.

I have been in contact directly with the service manager and he has been very helpful and thankful for me the troubleshooting.  If they use a stronger spring it should be resolved. I really like the light, fills the room better than my 350 lumen TRL but is not burn your eyes out bright.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Compared it to our TRL-1s which we have on our carbines at work now (which have no held up well)

Seems to have a tighter and father throw and is also somewhat yellower than the TRL-1. The TRL-1 has a better spill and weirdly, I'd almost say brighter although the lumens advertised say otherwise.
View Quote

My buddy lives next to a driving range with a patch of trees around 300 yards out. Took my TRL-1 and the RM2 out to see what would happen. My experience was a bit different than yours. The RM2 is a bit brighter and more yellow, also has better spill and a bit more range (the lens design is different allowing for this and why I think it doesnt appear to be a 600+ lumen light). The TRL-1 is a great light, tighter overall beam but the centers on both are pretty hot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My buddy lives next to a driving range with a patch of trees around 300 yards out. Took my TRL-1 and the RM2 out to see what would happen. My experience was a bit different than yours. The RM2 is a bit brighter and more yellow, also has better spill and a bit more range (the lens design is different allowing for this and why I think it doesnt appear to be a 600+ lumen light). The TRL-1 is a great light, tighter overall beam but the centers on both are pretty hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got a RM1 and I was only comparing at 25 yrd. Either was Streamlight put out a good product here
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We got a RM1 and I was only comparing at 25 yrd. Either was Streamlight put out a good product here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you prefer the brighter RM2 or are you happy with the RM1 when compared to the TRL? I am debating getting the RM1 for my home defense rifle or another RM2 (the battery blink isnt a deal breaker as I know some Surefires do it too)
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Would you prefer the brighter RM2 or are you happy with the RM1 when compared to the TRL? I am debating getting the RM1 for my home defense rifle or another RM2 (the battery blink isnt a deal breaker as I know some Surefires do it too)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grips with the TRL1 are that it is not holding up to being on patrols rifles. TRL1 is a great light, but it is designed to be on a pistol in a holster until you take the gun out to use it, thereby saving it from alot of wear and tear. Just from being taken out and checked and banged around in the truck of the cars the rear housing has been bent, lenses cracked, pressure switches cut and sheered.

I am hoping the RM series will be much more robust, they certainly seem to be.

For HD purposes the single battery unit seems great. The RM2 I think would be better if you saw yourself searching dark alleyways, parking lots, and fields.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to jump in, but...

I have the RM1 on my 10" AR Pistol.  This is primarily my home gun.  There is plenty of light for my intended use (inside the house / around the property). The smaller size of the light works well on the 10" gun.

If this was going on my work rifle, I would go with the RM2 for extended range / light.  Right now I have a 500 lumen WMLx on my work gun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#43]
5 RM-1's and so far all have been 100%. The more I use this light, the more I like it. Only time will tell how durable/rugged they are, but so far it's my #1 choice for a good quality light that won't break the bank.

Tomac
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got one of these. First impressions are good. Seems well built and is bright. I like the constant on button on the pressure switch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Arisaka 45° keymod mount on a Samson rail. The mount was ordered Saturday afternoon and arrived the following Monday.
The light is mounted using the top mounting holes and the MBUS tab was shaved down to accommodate for clearance.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I really wish they would introduce a dual tape/button tailcap. LDI, Insight, and Surefire all have one, I'm not confident in tape switches enough to have that be the only activation on a light.
View Quote

Has anyone confirmed that a Surefire E series tailcap will not fit these lights?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Has anyone confirmed that a Surefire E series tailcap will not fit these lights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really wish they would introduce a dual tape/button tailcap. LDI, Insight, and Surefire all have one, I'm not confident in tape switches enough to have that be the only activation on a light.

E series or M300/600 heads and tailcaps will not work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In six months someone on CPF will have made an adapter.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#50]
My RM1 came in today. Really like the light, but...

With the clicky cap and the pressure switch, if the light is turned to constant on and I rack the bolt, the light will wink. Compared to my elzetta, the streamlight is letting me down. Not sure if I should just deal with it or what.
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top