Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2016 1:23:53 PM EDT
These look to be a fairly new release. 10/2015?

What's your thoughts in comparison with other brands / models?
I watched a few video reviews. The clamp lever does not appear to "lock"

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#1]
So far pretty much any light olight has released is solid as hell. I wouldn't expect any difference here.

There is absolutely zero reason to spend tons of money on surefires and elzetas when you can get olights for way less. The abuse they can take is unreal.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#2]
im a flashlight connoisseur i have 4 Olight flashlights....ill agree Qlight makes pretty amazing lights.  this looks like a nice looking light and sootch00 likes it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwn7MCP2djs

Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty interesting. For $100 and 400 lumen, I'm tempted to try one out. Really interesting design and features. Seems well thought out. Only thing that may not be appealing are the activation switches....are those similar to the APL style paddles?
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn. I'm going to sell my TRL 3 for one of these.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
If I didn't already have a SF and several SL's, I think I would order one myself
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting. I will probably wait for some more reviews but it certainly looks interesting.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. I will probably wait for some more reviews but it certainly looks interesting.
View Quote

I'll review one the second my Streamlight sells.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Done deal. Hopefully I'll get it in the mail by the end of next week. I'll do a mini review when I get it.

Edit: I've been doing more research and there is a small part of me that wants to chicken out. I'm not sure of the longevity if the mount. Didn't another popular light start out with a similar mount and the gen 2 version dumped it?

And the mount has a piece that sticks out making finding a holster a tad more difficult. I'm pretty sold but the mount scares me and the TLR 1HL seems really amazing too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
That latch (mentioned in my OP) is my concern also. I can see the light (or not?) unexpectedly not being there in time of need

That latch might be easily replaced with a shoulder-screw? Worth the fuss?
I can vouch for the TLR-1 HL. I have two of them. One with over 3000 rounds

I'm holding off buying until after SHOT, but for further range, I've plans to buy a TLR-1 HPL

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That latch (mentioned in my OP) is my concern also. I can see the light (or not?) unexpectedly not being there in time of need
That latch might be easily replaced with a shoulder-screw? Worth the fuss?

I can vouch for the TLR-1 HL. I have two of them. One with over 3000 rounds
I'm holding off buying until after SHOT, but for further range, I've plans to buy a TLR-1 HPL

View Quote

Yeah I wish I could handle one prior to buying. I love how small it is though. I guess nothing is impossible, right?  I have confidence in olight but this is a new light from them the the tlr-1hl is proven.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll drop by a few shops tomorrow if I can. See if I might be able to play with one

One would "think" there are others that have reviewed them with an un-biased report

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll drop by a few shops tomorrow if I can. See if I might be able to play with one
One would "think" there are others that have reviewed them with an un-biased report  
View Quote

There seems to be some YouTube reviews and they all really like the light. James Yeager did a mini review and in the comments he later said the light made it through a five day course he took.

But that's not a year or two or three of mounting dismounting. That's my only concern.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one for $75 before Christmas and I gave it away tonight to a 10 year old kid for his airsoft pistol...

1) It's VERY BRIGHT.

2) There is about a .5-.7 second delay when hitting the momentary button which seemed odd and very irritating...

3) The blue nav light feature is very cool.

4) I liked the feel of the rubber operating levers.

5) Despite being very compact, the locking lever protrudes a bit on the left side which kept me from being able to put it into a holster which is designed to accommodate the slightly larger Inforce APL.

Ultimately it's a decent light and worth the money. The delay on the switch was very much a PITA, so that's why I gave the light away.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's pretty interesting. For $100 and 400 lumen, I'm tempted to try one out. Really interesting design and features. Seems well thought out. Only thing that may not be appealing are the activation switches....are those similar to the APL style paddles?
View Quote

Compared to the APL levers, I really liked the non-slip feel of the rubber pads on the Olight.

If the Olight levers had been as responsive as the APL it would have been a better tac light, IMHO.

That delay made it absolutely impossible to manually strobe the light, which is my preferred technique.

YMMV

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I'm not liking that protruding locking level either.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm not liking that protruding locking level either.
View Quote

If they work that out and make the switch more responsive it will be a rock solid light.

It's a "good" light" but not a game changer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Knowing olight I'd be willing to bet they revise it inside a year or so if there are enough complaints
and it sells well enough, if you really want it fixed, catch up with their rep on the candlepowerforums and let em know.
The flashlight biz as a hobby is super competitive, I like olight and have a few and have
seen them revise stuff based on feedback and issues more than a few times, I appreciate that.
I'd love to see them make some dedicated weapon lights that were less...   Busy..  than their previous
one's.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#18]
A WML from Olight? Watch the video

Olight Rocks EDC and Weapon Lights: SHOT Show 2016

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Now I'm glad I didn't chicken out and mine is coming. I didn't know that the locking lever is only half the equation. You can use a penny to tighten it on the other side too

So I'm going to assume, as usual, it's user error from people who have theirs come off. Either not using the right mount for their gun or not tightening it correctly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I got it today. So far I'm really digging it. It's compact and bright.

The buttons feel really nice. The rubber doesn't slip and you can operate them pretty much anywhere on them. As in you don't have to press right in the middle.

The clamp feels strong. I shook the gun as hard as I could and I racked the slide as fast as I could several times and it didn't love.

Some people said to use the momentary on feature you had to hold the button in for 1.5 seconds. No way. Not even close. I'd say .5 seconds. It took me about three tries to perfect it.

Maybe I'm being a fanboy but I really think they nailed the button configuration. Click once for on. Double click for strobe. .5 seconds for momentary. I dunno. The best way to describe it is just natural.

I loved my TLR 3 but the momentary on meant you gad to press the knob down but full on you had to press the complete other side of the knob in the other direction.

It just seemed to be complicated. If I'm using momentary with the olight and I identify a bad guy I can quickly double click and get strobe. With the TLR the light would go off for a second while I pushed the other side of the knob to turn the light on. Maybe more practice would have made it feel better for me. I dunno

Anyway, even though the new TLR 1 HL is 800 lumens I'm glad I got this.

As long as the clamp mount holds up I think this is a winner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Right on.

The new model has a laser built in. That one may get put on my list when they release it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Sootch & I picked ours up from Marshall
at the IV8888 shoot, last monsoon.

I haven't shot with mine mounted yet,
but one feature I really like is the ability
to mount or dismount the light in seconds.

This allows you to dismount to use as a hand
held, like sweeping rooms, and remove the
muzzling concerns, but also allows you to
quickly remount as needed. I don't intend
to buy a holster to carry it mounted, because
I believe it the light will cycle on & off a lot
with side pressure in the holster from,
standing, sitting, etc, so the toggle protruding
a little is a non issue for me. The toggle also
allows me readily mount it on any firearm I
have with a picatinny rail.

Also, I believe the delay in the light coming on
is a common issue with LED lights in general.

Another feature I like for the Valkyrie is that it
can use the 3.6v rechargeable batteries.

I really like it & I intend to buy another one or
two.

John
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top