Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2015 7:26:20 AM EDT
Which do you use on your weapon mounted light and why?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I generally position the light in a way that will allow me to hit the button because I don't trust tape switches.  With my luck I'll snag the cable on something and it will be unplugged when I try to use it.  And really I've just found buttons on lights to be easier and more reliable to activate.  I've had times when I've pressed on the tape switch and didn't hit it right to activate the light but I can always press in on a button even wearing winter gloves.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Both. Tailcap with button on top and tap switch. Sometimes you need the light on for extended periods and don't want to fatigue your hand having to hold the switch.

Other times you need to instant on/off of the tap switch and re-positioning your hand gets old.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The light in question is a SF Mini Scout M300B. I have it mounted on an Arisaka Offset Keymod Scout Mount at 11 o'clock and I'm currently using the clicky tail cap. Last weekend at the range, I ran a few mags through a buddy's SBR and he had a similar setup, but with the light mounted at 1 o'clock and an SRO7 at 12 o'clock. I gotta say, the SR07 at 12 o'clock felt more natural (to me). Has anyone had any reliability issues with an SRO7? Is it worth the $75 price tag?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the light, but either a rotary-only (no clicky) or standard momentary/clicky.

With the Elzetta Alpha for example, I ordered it originally with the clicky tail (A112 I think). After an indoor range trip (where I could use the light while firing) I noticed I was accidentally clicking it from momentary into constant-on while firing on my 10.5" pistol. I replaced it with the rotary-only tailcap (which still has the momentary function) and have been very happy since.

With a Primary Arms Gen-II light, I've left the clicky tail cap as is. It is surrounded by a deep aluminum ring (pretty soft aluminum but it works) and the constant-on function takes a pretty deep press to activate. Mounted to the 12:00 on my 16" carbine, I have yet to accidentally click it into constant-on while firing.

I too am generally leary of tape switches, but I'll admit I've only used them recently very briefly, so my opinion may be overly influenced by mediocre experiences of 10+ years ago.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]

I've got an SR07 and have had limited time using it on a SF Scout on a patrol rifle.  I got it used on the EE many years ago for dirt cheap.  The form factor, like you mentioned, seems awesome - ambidextrous and with positive controls.  You do need to zip tie it down though.

I took it off because I didn't fully trust it.  Once while reconfiguring my light mount (to the Arisaka) the cord got to tightly curved and it seemed to short.  I went back to the clicky switch and haven't looked back.  Now to be fair, the SR07 went to a training rifle and has never once been a problem.  

If SF redesigned their Scout sized switches to allow for a back up button as well now that would be sweet.  I don't know how on earth they'd do that since they're so small but a man can still dream.  I also wouldn't mind a redesign of the 1 inch dual switch tail cap.  The thing as is is a monster.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Clicky cap for now.

If TNVC/Unity Tactical ever releases TAPS, that's what I'll be using.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought that was supposed to be released this summer, any updates?
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Never been a fan of tape switches.. wires and connections that can get bent or broken. Accidental activation of light... and tape switches with multiple switches to run multiple devices are just there waiting for Murphy to have you hit the wrong portion of the switch at the wrong time.

A simple robust click switch with a shroud . Big fan of the Surefire Z49's until they discontinued them.

The Scout Clicky switches work well.. light press.. momentary light.. full press until a click. Light on for good... Simple, easy, intuitive and Murphy proof.

I wish more flashlight companies would make Clicky switches with a decent shroud.
Just my take after running a light for a lot of years...
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I generally position the light in a way that will allow me to hit the button because I don't trust tape switches.  With my luck I'll snag the cable on something and it will be unplugged when I try to use it.  And really I've just found buttons on lights to be easier and more reliable to activate.  I've had times when I've pressed on the tape switch and didn't hit it right to activate the light but I can always press in on a button even wearing winter gloves.
View Quote

Nor do I.  I've had way too many fail over my years of shooting (even "high end" ones) to trust one.  Tailcap it is for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Harv. Shielded push button switches are the best option if you can use them. There are situations, however, where tapeswitches can be useful, I use one on my rifle with a 7" rail, as an example. I would recommend trying to avoid them in general, unless it's necessary, the light offers a redundant method to activate, such as the remote tailcap for X300s or the older SF Millennium tailcaps, and you can place the remote in a location that is somewhat protected. As an example of the last one, I have a switch on my Mk18 knockoff that is semi-protected from going off if it brushes against something by a CQD sling mount stuck immediately below it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
For whatever other shortfalls they may have (price/availability mainly), I still think that the WMX200 by far has the best currently available tailcap setup.  

Dual function tailcap that is both a push button and a tapswitch port, including tapeswitches with integrated "buttons," half-press for low power light (if you should need it), full press for high intensity white light, double click for constant-on.  

If the tape switch breaks, the push button function is mechanical, and does not depend on the switch electronics at all, and you can still use it even if the whole tape switch gets ripped out of the socket.  Low profile and protected.  

I'm also looking forward to the Surefire SL tailcap if they ever release it - basically an XM tailcap, but for Scout format bodies.  It is, of course, currently vaporware, however.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
No clicky,  no tape.     Momentary only.   It's too easy to activate the constant on with the clicky when you only want momentary.  Constant on could be very dangerous in a low/no light encounter.     If I really need constant on,  I can just do a quick turn of the cap.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No clicky,  no tape.     Momentary only.   It's too easy to activate the constant on with the clicky when you only want momentary.  Constant on could be very dangerous in a low/no light encounter.     If I really need constant on,  I can just do a quick turn of the cap.
View Quote

I would clarify that you're not talking about a momentary only light in this post - if it has a push button momentary, and a rotary constant-on function, it is dual function, though not a "click" cap.  

With that being said, there are lights that I personally wouldn't recommend that are true "momentary only" lights.  

"Momentary only" briefs well, but in reality, the work doesn't end when the shooting (if there was any) does, nor does the need to have some illumination.  

In the fantasy "SD" situation, after you've subdued the home invader(s) and they're still alive, how exactly do you plan to dial the phone the call someone to collect (and possibly treat) them while keeping them covered with a momentary only light, especially if they're the type who might be inclined to just about anything to avoid going [back] to prison once it sinks in that that's the next logical step?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If SF redesigned their Scout sized switches to allow for a back up button as well now that would be sweet.  I don't know how on earth they'd do that since they're so small but a man can still dream.  I also wouldn't mind a redesign of the 1 inch dual switch tail cap.  The thing as is is a monster.  
View Quote

Surefire makes a tape switch with a pressure pad (momentary) and button (constant on) if you have the proper tail cap. Or are you talking about a plug for tape switches AND button on the tail cap?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both. 16" jack of all trades carbine has a elzetta FSB mount for my light so I can toggle it by pushing in on the sling swivel against the cap or twist it more for constant on. My SBR has a scout light with a remote switch. I used the LaRue rail covers with cable hooks to make sure the cable stays in place. I have had no issues with either one.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top