Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 1:58:12 PM EDT
Sorry if this has already been gone over, but I'm in the process of trying to decide what Magpul MOE mount and tactical light to get. What have you guys and gals found that works best for you?

Here are some specifics:

- I've got a Mid-Length hand guard

- I'm right handed

- I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a lighting system - Where's the best value per dollar?

Seems like I see three popular options out there:

1) MOE Illumuniation Kit + Pressure Switch Tactical Light

2) MOE Scout + Surefire G2

3) MOE Cantilever + TLR-1  

Did I miss anything?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Inforce lights. Amazon has them I think
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So a Cantilever mount ($5) +  Inforce ($150) ?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smc-1-light-mount-n-slot-w-g2x-tactical-by-surefire/
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what I use on my MOE hand guards:

Impact Weapons Components

Get this mount and use a handheld flashlight (there is a list of applicable lights in the drop down menu). This is rock solid and I've had no issues. Get an LED light and you're set.

I've searched and I can't find the thread but there was a recent thread on Inforce lights cracking when used on rifles. I don't have any experience with them myself but it's something I would look into before buying. I'm a Surefire guy. A little pricier but rock solid.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is what I use on my MOE hand guards:

Impact Weapons Components

Get this mount and use a handheld flashlight (there is a list of applicable lights in the drop down menu). This is rock solid and I've had no issues. Get an LED light and you're set.

I've searched and I can't find the thread but there was a recent thread on Inforce lights cracking when used on rifles. I don't have any experience with them myself but it's something I would look into before buying. I'm a Surefire guy. A little pricier but rock solid.
View Quote

We use them on our in car patrol rifles. I have not seen one crack yet, but they are also not seeing heavy use. The training rifles also have them and they are holding up fine. Not saying you are wrong, just saying our are running fine.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Streamlight TLR-1HL lights. Botach has the rifle kit at a good price. I have use two of the kits and have several of the TLR series lights on various guns. No failures yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the cantilever and TRL-1 on a rifle.  I don't think it extends out far enough.  One thing I have come to realize over the years is that the carbine-length hand guard is too darn short.  Putting a light on it further reduces the area you have for your hand.  I like the look of the IWC mount linked to above.  It looks like it might help if only a bit.

ETA - But I see you have a mid.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the impact weapons mount n slot and a surefire light.
Mount it on left side of handguard, as far forward as you can.
This reduces barrel shadowing while putting what little shadow there is on the far right.
Gives best visibility and easy access to the light with left hand thumb.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Question: What would be the pro's/con's of the MOE Scout mount versus the Impact Weapons mount?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'be been messing around with lights for a while and this is what I settled on. M300 aint exactly a budget light but there are others, the Inforce lights look neat but I've never tried one. How are you planning on mounting the G2 to the scout?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't.   Inforce lights are junk.

Read
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How are you planning on mounting the G2 to the scout?
View Quote

With the Light Mount V-Block and Rings 1913 Picatinny #MAG614 - "the Light Mount V-Block and Rings allow the user to install lights with a body diameter from .75" to 1.04" onto the MOE Scout Mount"

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The TLR and the Inforce both look like they work with the MOE scout mount. It also looks like the scout mount puts the light out further then the cav. mount
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
This:

Surefire M300C Mini Scout w/ IWC mount.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
After some experimentation, I went w/the Streamlight TLR-1 Long Gun Kit on a MOE scout mount at 1 o'clock w/the pressure switch at 9 o'clock. Scout mount at 11 o'clock would have worked as well w/easier cable management but I wanted easier access to my nav light. Tried the cantilever rail but didn't care for the barrel shadow on the opposite side.

Here are a couple of pics of that setup on my son's rifle (taken before I reversed the pressure switch and ran the cable over back over the hand guard):

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I put an Arson Machine MOE mount on my wife's gun (before I switched the handguards out to the MOE SL), and ran a G2X.  About $100 out the door for both.  Worked rather well.  Switched out the MOE mount for an M-LOK and it is still truckin away.  Good combo IMO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I use Vtac mounts & Surefire G2 or 6PX tactical's on my rifles.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Update:

This is what I ended up going with ->

- G2X Tactical - Desert Tan: $63.00 Shipped
- MOE Scout Mount: $7.85 Shipped
- MOE V-Block & Rings: $17.95 Shipped

Total to-my-door: $88.80

This fit my needs and price point.

I appreciate that a majority of the cost is in the GX2 which is not a dedicated weapon light. Later on if I go with a different handguard or rifle, I can take the light off and use it as a regular flashlight. This thread help me realize the merits of going this rout verses a dedicated weapon light. Thanks for the comments everyone.

I can actuate the GX2 perfectly with my hand on the vertical grip

One could say that I'm a big Magpul/FDE fan
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top