Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2015 9:36:35 PM EDT
The set up - shot a two gun match - the last stage you had to shoot five targets thru a barricade - using a different port to hit each target.

I saw people with a mounted light having problems getting their barrels thru the port holes to make the shots.  the targets were about 14 inches tall ant four inches wide.

I use a red dot for the primary sighting system - was thinking of mounting the light at the top end of the rail and the back up front iron sight behind it.

What do you guys think/say?

Red

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
where were the lights mounted that had problems?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of mine set up that way. I really like it. TLR-1 at 12 o'clock at the end of a DD Lite 10.0. Very intuitive activation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The lights mounted at three or nine o'clock could not use the ports on the barricade as well as the people with no lights mounted on the gun.

I just know that before two long - they are going to have a stage that is going to require a light...

Red

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The lights mounted at three or nine o'clock could not use the ports on the barricade as well as the people with no lights mounted on the gun.

I just know that before two long - they are going to have a stage that is going to require a light...

Red

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red

damn, small ports.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I was taught to never stick my barrel through a port - just stand off a few inches and watch your sight offset.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had good luck with mine. It makes the rifle seem just a little more snag-free in general.

ETA; I should add, with an Aimpoint PRO and the APL, there is no field of view issue. Whether using the optic or the irons, you don't see it at all. (Absolute cowitness.)
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
An X300 up there is definitely one of the most ergonomic light setups. Only problem is it eats up the best real estate for a laser, but if you have no intention of getting into NVGs, it's nice to slim the AR down, and cast the shadow down instead of off to the side.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm a fan, x300u at the 12 o'clock is my standard configuration for a rifle with an FF arm.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got an TLR-1s on the top rail of my 7.5" 2-gun / trunk gun.
No issues, other than it blocks a little bit of your field of view through a dot sight.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Red

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red

ounds like shitty ports for competition not bad light mounting
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#13]
12 o'clock is IR laser's home.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#14]
An X300 @ 12:00 with a Daniel Defense front is the best setup I've ever used.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have one of mine set up that way. I really like it. TLR-1 at 12 o'clock at the end of a DD Lite 10.0. Very intuitive activation.
View Quote

I have the exact same setup on a middy I built. Excellent, buis rides right behind it, no issues.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a fan of the 12 o'clock mount point. I prefer it with a Mossie Tactics mount that lowers the height of the light closer to the barrel and provides less obstruction of the sights/optics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No issues, other than it blocks a little bit of your field of view through a dot sight.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20130421_202559_725.jpg
View Quote

That's exactly the setup I've been considering for my buis/light (also on a 7.5" albeit a 9mm). Now, I'm sure; thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's exactly the setup I've been considering for my buis/light (also on a 7.5" albeit a 9mm). Now, I'm sure; thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20130421_202559_725.jpg

Great information. Was working on my AR last night trying the TLR-1s with a flip up front sight. Seemed to block a little of the sight, but seeing these posts have convinced me that this is the way to go. My rifle is a Daniel Defense V5 LW with a 16" barrel FWIW. The optic is an Aimpoint Pro.

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of the 12 o'clock mount point. I prefer it with a Mossie Tactics mount that lowers the height of the light closer to the barrel and provides less obstruction of the sights/optics.
<a href="http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Zzyzx313/media/SMG/008-1_zpsa7f3af8b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/SMG/008-1_zpsa7f3af8b.jpg</a>
View Quote

I just looked up this Mossie MT2400TRN mount.  Did you modify your rail, or just put those rail covers on so they'd protrude around the barrel?  It looks great!
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Yup, it is my preferred position for a light.

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I posted these originally in the DD pic thread. Their keymod SLiM rail 12.0 on a 16" middy. I like the placement so far, though I've since moved the front sight back a couple notches to give my thumb more room. Not saying this is the perfect placement, but it does have some advantages. The light is an Elzetta Alpha with a rotary tail cap.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#22]
12 O'clock

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I run a TLR-1S on a 12:00, really dig it. The dot of the Aimpoint Micro sits right above the TLR.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I posted these originally in the DD pic thread. Their keymod SLiM rail 12.0 on a 16" middy. I like the placement so far, though I've since moved the front sight back a couple notches to give my thumb more room. Not saying this is the perfect placement, but it does have some advantages. The light is an Elzetta Alpha with a rotary tail cap.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/s34ntx/SLIM%20RAIL_zpsnfarafo0.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/s34ntx/SLIM%20RAIL-3_zpssbhz6zol.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/s34ntx/SLIM%20RAIL-2_zpsiclxllin.jpg
View Quote

Who makes that mount?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Who makes that mount?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/s34ntx/SLIM%20RAIL_zpsnfarafo0.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/s34ntx/SLIM%20RAIL-3_zpssbhz6zol.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f166/s34ntx/SLIM%20RAIL-2_zpsiclxllin.jpg

Who makes that mount?

The light is mounted in a single 1" scope ring made by Millet I think. It was the lowest height of 1" ring I could find locally the weekend I was looking. I think I spent about $20 for a pair at Gander Mountain. These rings are low enough that I can even use a Primary Arms Gen-2 light and still have a bit of unobstructed post for my BUIS, although it wasn't low enough to work with an older SureFire with the larger weapon-light head.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:45:45 AM EDT
[#26]
OP, are you currently not running a light? If not, train accordingly with whatever configuration works best for you and your shooting style. Personally, I run my mini scout in an Arisaka offset mount and an SR07 at 12 o'clock. With the Arisaka mount, my light hugs the rail at 1 o'clock.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top