Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2015 12:20:56 PM EDT
I've heard good things about the Surefire Fury, but I was wondering about the Protac HL?  Is this strong enough for Weaponslight uses?  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to be a Streamlight guy, but now I'm converting to Surefire. Streamlight only warrenties thir shit for 1 year and with the reciept. Surefir is known to rpair old discontinued mil-surp lights free of charge. I'v bought a Streamlight Scorpion that did not funtion out of the box. I JUST got a TLR-1S (because I could use my cabelas bucks, they don't carry SF) it came with the glock key installed, so I noticed the screw sticking out kinda far so I tried to tighten it, found out they cross threaded it and the nut just spins in the key. How's that for QC? I'm not returning it because I just use the glock key anyways.
It's your money, but in my oppinion surefire is a better investment.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I too was asking that same question. Then I learned about these

Amazon has good deals for them
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I own about a dozen streamlights....
I have had a couple issues over many years and lots of use and streamlight has never asked for a a purchase date, proof of purchase or a dime to repair any of my lights.

That is not a takeaway from Surefire.  I have not as many Surefires, and can attest that their customer service is also top notch.

If you contact [email protected] i am sure you will get an answer as to whether or not the ProTac HL is weapon rated.
it is EXTREMELY bright.  I keep on in the map pocket of my car door.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own about a dozen streamlights....
I have had a couple issues over many years and lots of use and streamlight has never asked for a a purchase date, proof of purchase or a dime to repair any of my lights.

That is not a takeaway from Surefire.  I have not as many Surefires, and can attest that their customer service is also top notch.

If you contact [email protected] i am sure you will get an answer as to whether or not the ProTac HL is weapon rated.
it is EXTREMELY bright.  I keep on in the map pocket of my car door.
View Quote

Well, my expieriance with Streamlight was that I needed a bulb for a discontinued model, all I wanted to know was if they still SOLD the bulbs. Their CS fired back "it only had a 1 year warrenty and only with original reciept, we no longer make the bulb". So comes another issue: Streamlight has everything proprietary (sp) Their bulbs and other parts are as far as I know not interchangable with anything. Surefire has a huge aftermarket and I have found through expierametation that many other lights are interchangeable with SF parts. Makes it much more likely that your expensive light will still be going in 10+ years rather than in the trash over a small part.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
For those guys using Protac HL's as a weapons light.  What mount are you using?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Primary Arm's Labor Day sale has the ProTac HL with a VTAC mount for $80. Still trying to decide if this is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Dual-output lights are problematic and not ideal for use as a WML on a long gun.  If you can program it just to run off the brightest setting, that's fine; but ensure that you don't accidentally reprogram the light.  Streamlight went to the TEN-TAP system, which requires 10 taps of the switch, so that's not a bad way to prevent accidental reprogramming.  

Streamlight makes a decent product, but SureFire lights are better suited for use on lights due to the beam design being more spotlight-oriented whereas Streamlights have more flood effect.  If you use the rifle for HD only, this is irrelevant and you can use whatever works.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top