Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2015 7:43:02 PM EDT
Does anyone have experience using the WMLx? I've seen in person a few broken WMLs with cracked polymer housing and one with the electronics literally falling out of the light so I was curious if Inforce has improved the durability when they released the WMLx model.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine's been flawless.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
In for info
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has been great I got mine late Dec and I just changed the batteries over the weekend while camping.

I've had it in Arizona mid summer and I spend a lot of time outdoors in the Rockies. I've banged it on tree's, rocks, barricades and even got a chance to muzzle ram a few windows out.  I shoot a lot at least 250rounds a week. I don't have access to any indoor training so most of my stuff is done outside but I've banged it around pretty good. Rain,snow,mud extreme temps low and high. It's performed well for me.

I'm not an expert on lights I don't own an elzetta or surefire but for my needs the WMLx has been great its super bright and for an avid mountain dweller that's important to me, I find the activation very comfortable as well.

Couple things to add. As said the batteries finally died. 7months and I use it a lot. The light dropped down to 150-200lumens I'd say, nice little warning. I cleaned my guns tonight and noticed dings on the light normal wear and tear. I checked the light and cleaned it "was muddy" everything was tight. Nothing was loose at all.

So take it for what it's worth this is just some basic results of my application.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine's been flawless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flhhKPWmV8
View Quote

MrGunsnGear himself. Have you accidentally dropped it or subjected it to any sort of wear that could have resulted in damage?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I seriously drop every rifle I own unintentionally.   I have this weird unstoppable urge to lean rifles against my garage door which is apparently coated in grease and the alway fall over.  I keep thinking "it won't happen this time" but it does.   EVERY TIME.    One day I'll win though.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I seriously drop every rifle I own unintentionally.   I have this weird unstoppable urge to lean rifles against my garage door which is apparently coated in grease and the alway fall over.  I keep thinking "it won't happen this time" but it does.   EVERY TIME.    One day I'll win though.....
View Quote

Thanks for the info and for making some of the best reviews on YouTube.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I understand the WMLx has both a high (500 lumens) and a low mode - both constant on... Can the momentary on be used in low mode? (I have a feeling that 500 lumens will be too bright for my environment).
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not put my own money into an Inforce after what I've seen.  I understand that the polymer body helps the price point, but they need to rework the light.  

I've posted this before, but these are lights from another SWAT team that had a pretty negative experience with the WML.  I'd have to see substantial evidence that they've resolved their issues.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:17:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would not put my own money into an Inforce after what I've seen.  I understand that the polymer body helps the price point, but they need to rework the light.  

I've posted this before, but these are lights from another SWAT team that had a pretty negative experience with the WML.  I'd have to see substantial evidence that they've resolved their issues.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g48/reedo302/B4D3EEAF-5E8E-4747-BBD7-785A6CD312E6_zpsqzwqb4rg.jpg
View Quote

And THAT is what I was referencing when I said I've heard of numerous WML failures.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Just showing broken parts doesn't really say much.  Any item/brand can break, what caused the break?  Muzzle breaches through windows?  Bashing them against walls or doors?  Our swat team has broken plenty of surefires and steamlights, so it all depends on the manner.  Also it appears that those are the original WMLs, not the WMLx that the op had inquired about.

My experience so far is the first WMLx I got the button pad had to be pushed a very certain way at the far front in order to operate and it was awful.  Got it replaced and the new one works perfectly.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had two for about 8 months.  Both are mounted on Hailey Strategic Thorntail Offset mounts.  One has gotten used everyday for work application and the other only a few times for home application.  I have had zero problems with both units and haven't had to change the batteries yet.  I too was a bit concerned about the plastic housing, but after using it inside some gun ports almost immediately after initial purchase, my confidence was bolstered.  That being said, I would welcome a newer model with an aluminum housing.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I had two sand-colored WMLx's develop cracks where the bezel screws into the body (similar to the topmost black WML in the photo above). Inforce said they had a bad batch of polymer (sand has been pulled from their website) and promptly replaced them w/FDE versions.

Now one of those has spontaneously developed a crack in the same location w/no abuse on my part (ie: rifle not dropped or slammed into anything, no classes attended w/the WMLx attached, etc). Inforce replaced this one as well but said this might happen again and that their graphite-colored version was probably the most durable.

Don't get me wrong, I *love* the WMLx, IMHO it's the best-designed WML to date, but now I'm concerned about the durability of the polymer they use.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had two sand-colored WMLx's develop cracks where the bezel screws into the body (similar to the topmost black WML in the photo above). Inforce said they had a bad batch of polymer (sand has been pulled from their website) and promptly replaced them w/FDE versions.

Now one of those has spontaneously developed a crack in the same location w/no abuse on my part (ie: rifle not dropped or slammed into anything, no classes attended w/the WMLx attached, etc). Inforce replaced this one as well but said this might happen again and that their graphite-colored version was probably the most durable.

Don't get me wrong, I *love* the WMLx, IMHO it's the best-designed WML to date, but now I'm concerned about the durability of the polymer they use.
Tomac
View Quote

Interesting. 2 of em'?

Still no issues with my sand I.R./white WML. I haven't put it through too much abuse yet either though
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting. 2 of em'?
Still no issues with my sand I.R./white WML. I haven't put it through too much abuse yet either though
View Quote

Three, actually. Two sand and one fde.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Tomac
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. 2 of em'?

Tomac

How are they breaking? Do you crank the head down as tight as possible or somethin? I'm just curious here because I'd like to know what to avoid doing to mine
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How are they breaking? Do you crank the head down as tight as possible or somethin? I'm just curious here because I'd like to know what to avoid doing to mine
View Quote

Unknown. Rifles are soft-cased during transport and I snug the head down but not excessively. I take care of my gear but don't baby it. As mentioned previously, rifles haven't been dropped or slammed into anything. To play it safe, you might want to snug the head down just far enough to ensure reliable electrical contact.
Regardless, even if the crack develops from hand-tightening the bezel (and it should not crack from something as simple & expected as that) , what would happen to an un-cracked WMLx w/a strong impact to the bezel? Something similar to the photo above?
I'm starting to reconsider the Streamlight TLR-1 HL Long Gun Kit that I recently installed on my son's AR.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a shame, I wanted to buy one but those fractures are no good. They should partner with Magpul.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's a shame, I wanted to buy one but those fractures are no good. They should partner with Magpul.
View Quote

I thought this was shit talk about magpul at first, but I realize what you're saying now.

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd rather it weighs another half an ounce if it means a stronger polymer.

Still no cracks in my WML though. (I.R./white version in sand)
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a WMLx for a bit.  It was a decent light, with good output and ergonomics.  But it was FDE or Sand and the body cracked, up by the head.  Sent it in and got a black one back.  Sold it to a friend as I just couldn't get a set up together that worked for my liking.  For an occasional use rifle, I think it would be fine.  For serious use I would go with an aluminum tube light of some sort.  Would be much more durable in the end IMO.  Not to mention, usually cheaper.  I really really wanted to like the WML and WMLx lights but I just can't get past the limited set ups you can run with them and the plastic body that just cracked for no reason.  I don't think that I even shot the rifle with it on there.  It has a lot of potential but just comes up a bit short IMO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine just shit the bed. The head came completely off under recoil. Seen about 5 range trips. Too bad I really dig this light.

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mine just shit the bed. The head came completely off under recoil. Seen about 5 range trips. Too bad I really dig this light.

<a href="http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/dmjerrywest44/media/DSC_0013.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af139/dmjerrywest44/DSC_0013.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's too bad man. Clearly they need to rework their polymer. How the hell have they not done that yet?

Update on mine- I noticed a small hairline fracture on the body, same spot as usual. (Mine is the white/I.R. in sand)

It's very, very, very small, but it's on a barky 10.5, so we shall see, I'll keep this updated.

We need to share this fucking thread with inforce. If they would strengthen their polymer, this would be the perfect light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's too bad man. Clearly they need to rework their polymer. How the hell have they not done that yet?

Update on mine- I noticed a small hairline fracture on the body, same spot as usual. (Mine is the white/I.R. in sand)

It's very, very, very small, but it's on a barky 10.5, so we shall see, I'll keep this updated.

We need to share this fucking thread with inforce. If they would strengthen their polymer, this would be the perfect light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/dmjerrywest44/media/DSC_0013.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af139/dmjerrywest44/DSC_0013.jpg</a>

Damn.  

I've been looking at this thing pretty hard.  Good price, nice activation mechanism.  But that's unforgivable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Damn.  

I've been looking at this thing pretty hard.  Good price, nice activation mechanism.  But that's unforgivable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn.  

Just to be fair, mine is almost impossible to see. If I didn't have damn good vision I wouldn't have even been able to see it.

If it doesn't get any worse it'll be a non issue. Will definitely keep this thread updated.

Also, according to inforce their black polymer units are supposed to be stronger than the sand colored polymer that I have. But we shall see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Have seen several come back to the local shop that sells them for warranty. Shop just gives out a new one as a matter of customer relations etc.....Not very confidence inspiring.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have to be aware of the issue. I know one shop that has sent several lights back for repair and out of a nation of 300 million people, they can't be the only ones....
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Guess it's worth mentioning mine is the black version. I'm surprised with all the issues, mine has worked flawless. Definitely a concern.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn.  i have one on a rifle but it admittedly hasnt seen much use.  

Hopefully, it will hold up

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I have two HSP models, a black one and an FDE one. Haven't had any issues, but the black one is on my house shotgun, doesn't get much use. The FDE one is on my 10.5 300 BLK pistol. I may have to upgrade to M300s and relegate the Inforces to .22s
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I was interested in a WML but had to shy away and go with a Surefire M300U instead due to reports such as these. I hope they get the issue worked out as I'd really like to purchase one and put it through the paces.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Im still trying to figure out how to mount one of these pieces of shit without it rocking back and forth.  Can't get the stupid thing tight enough.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was interested in a WML but had to shy away and go with a Surefire M300U instead due to reports such as these. I hope they get the issue worked out as I'd really like to purchase one and put it through the paces.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd2b0umwv.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskeramegg.jpg
View Quote

Have not heard of M300U. Is this new? Where did you get it? Been eyeing M300C but didnt know they had a M300U out already.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just showing broken parts doesn't really say much.  Any item/brand can break, what caused the break?  Muzzle breaches through windows?  Bashing them against walls or doors?  Our swat team has broken plenty of surefires and steamlights, so it all depends on the manner.  Also it appears that those are the original WMLs, not the WMLx that the op had inquired about.

My experience so far is the first WMLx I got the button pad had to be pushed a very certain way at the far front in order to operate and it was awful.  Got it replaced and the new one works perfectly.  
View Quote

Those pix show exactly how mine broke.

First time I took it to the range it broke, I guess slinging the rifle was too hard on it. It was literally on my rifle for less than 72 hours. I got to the range and made it through about 6 rifle drills before I realized the light bezel had broken off. A closer look told me why, about a 1/4" crack running down from the bezel towards the body of the light. Mine was a 2014 production from DSG Arms. I'm glad your works but when 10 people get the same product and 8 of them break, that's a shitty product and I won't be spending a dime with them until they fix the products for good. RJeff21 has gone through WML's like shit through a goose as well, he doesn't even get to the range with them, IIRC he's fried them just trying to program the damn things.

The only positive thing I have to say is that the customer service is good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. 2 of em'?

Tomac

Set it on the shelf in your safe but bubble wrap it first. Also avoid mean mugging it or letting out farts near it. Side effects of using a WML include breaking, frying of internal electronics, and dead batteries within a week or so.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Set it on the shelf in your safe but bubble wrap it first. Also avoid mean mugging it or letting out farts near it. Side effects of using a WML include breaking, frying of internal electronics, and dead batteries within a week or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. 2 of em'?

Tomac

I came to the conclusion that the way it mounts is what makes the split. There's no lock so it uses constant pressure to grab the rail. I think that and the combination of not up to par polymer is what's causing this issue, pulling the polymer "apart" on the side facing outward.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

First time I took it to the range it broke, I guess slinging the rifle was too hard on it. It was literally on my rifle for less than 72 hours. I got to the range and made it through about 6 rifle drills before I realized the light bezel had broken off. A closer look told me why, about a 1/4" crack running down from the bezel towards the body of the light. Mine was a 2014 production from DSG Arms. I'm glad your works but when 10 people get the same product and 8 of them break, that's a shitty product and I won't be spending a dime with them until they fix the products for good. RJeff21 has gone through WML's like shit through a goose as well, he doesn't even get to the range with them, IIRC he's fried them just trying to program the damn things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I've fried two of them trying to use some "programming" instructions that Inforce demonstrated in one of their very own YT vids.

They were both IR models that I wanted to use as a helmet light.  Now both are stuck in IR mode (doesn't matter which position the "selector lever" is in).  

A couple days ago I accidentally knocked the spare off the top of my safe and the screw that holds on the selector lever sheared off, so now no more selector lever (not like it matters since it doesn't work anyway).

FWIW, the IR still works fine, so I've still got it helmet mounted with an SF X300 on the other side for a white light source.  

I'll eventually shell out the cash for an X300V to replace it.  IMO, the WML's are absolute junk.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you everyone for your input and help. It looks like I'll be going with an Elzetta or Surefire instead.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I was about to order one today, before I read about battery drain and cracking. I don't like the switch position on my current light and I don't want to use a tape switch again. It's a shame, because the Inforce lights have the perfect switch position. If they would make one with a mechanical switch and aluminum body if get one in a second. As it is, I would have doubts about reliability and that's a no-go for a HD rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Just saw this thread and was ordering one of these lights..
Looks like I'm going to surefire again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#40]
banged up...they replaced it
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#41]
well damn,this thread has been informative.

I kind of wanted to try a WML but I think I will stick with streamlight
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I was looking at one and heard some rumors and held off.

Glad I did now.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top