Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2015 11:55:41 AM EDT
I am in need of a better light/mounting solution for my SBR. I currently have a TLR-1 slapped on there, works but not ideal due to limited hand space on the rail.

I am looking for a light weight mount which is also low profile. Must mount on the 3 oclock position in a mlok slot and I want it to mount the light hugging the rail at the 1:30 position.

Not sure which is the best light to put in it but I think I want something with about 250-350 lumens and prefer lighter weight but need a decent run time on full power. It would be nice to have a high and low setting and it will be used for defensive purposes as well as hunting.

What is the best option?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Elzetta CQB may fill your needs
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My personal preferences, pretty much in order:

1) 1" handheld flashlight in a good offset light mount like Arson Machine, Arisaka, etc. I like the Surefire E1D and Lens-Light Mini in the Arson Machine 1" offset mounts, but an Elzetta Alpha is a good choice, as is the Inforce 6VT, Surefire G2X Tactical, or even something like a Solarforce body with a Malkoff drop-in.

2) Elzetta CQB

2.5) Surefire M300 or M300 clone (Arisaka/Malkoff, etc) in an Arisaka, Arson Machine, Unity Tactical, etc. offset mount

3) Streamlight ProTac 1L in a Proctor mount (not exactly per your specific criteria but a good option nonetheless)

I'm 50/50 on the M300 vs. Elzetta CQB. Both are tough as nails and compact / configurable the way you want them. The Elzetta is well suited for short range / indoor stuff and the M300 has a much longer reaching beam. The Elzetta would be better for me but YMMV
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the Elzetta CQB.  I have them on several of my SBR's and that is the platform that the CQB shines on.  I still have several Surefire Scouts on my longer barrel/distance rifles but there is nothing better for up close in a small modular and affordable package.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to ask, where on the handguard do you have the TLR-1 currently mounted?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for some good suggestions, time to look into these companies and products. I have a few stream lights and surefires but I just learned about elzetta.

My needs lean heavier to outdoor/longer range than indoor (60/40) so maybe the surefire would be better.

My stream light tlr1 hl is mounted on the 3oclock position. I'm right handed. It is exactly where I want my fingers on the rail thus I am looking for another solution. It's only a 7 inch rail so not a lot of space and I hate using the magwell for support.

ETA: I have tried the stream light on the 12 oclock position but it blocks too much of my sight picture plus BUIS are on there way. And one more item I need to consider is an IR lens for running NODS. I figured that would be easier to find based on bezel diameter.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
After looking around some this morning I am thinking I might go with a magpul offset mlok rail and then a x300/400 of some flavor.

I like the rocker switches for the ease of use vs pressure pads and push buttons.

Am I heading down the wrong road here?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After looking around some this morning I am thinking I might go with a magpul offset mlok rail and then a x300/400 of some flavor.

I like the rocker switches for the ease of use vs pressure pads and push buttons.

View Quote

Nope, the X300 is a fantastic light.

One thing you should be aware of though, you cannot use an IR filter on an LED light.  Most LED's don't produce much if any light in the IR spectrum.  If you need an IR function I'd suggest looking at the X300V.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

X300 uses push forward operation, rock is only to lock perm on. The M600 is the far better choice here, X300 on handgun. Weapon lights should be activated with forward pressure from the weak hand IMO.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
DevL,

I understand you position but that is not what I prefer. I hate having any device mounted inboard on a rifle, catches and snags, and is just plain uncomfortable. Having a push button light in board is the only way I see you proposition working.

As I re-read surefires descriptions, I think you are mistaken. Seems they operate just as a streamlight, rotate toggle one way for momentary and the other for on. That is ideal for me to use with one finger while maintaining a firing grip.

Any way a light is mounted it should allow operation while maintaining a grip beyond that it is user preference.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

DevL,

I understand you position but that is not what I prefer. I hate having any device mounted inboard on a rifle, catches and snags, and is just plain uncomfortable. Having a push button light in board is the only way I see you proposition working.

As I re-read surefires descriptions, I think you are mistaken. Seems they operate just as a streamlight, rotate toggle one way for momentary and the other for on. That is ideal for me to use with one finger while maintaining a firing grip.

Any way a light is mounted it should allow operation while maintaining a grip beyond that it is user preference.
View Quote
I don't believe he is mistaken unless the half dozen x300s I've owned were all wrong in the same way.

I do use an X300U on my sbr with the xt07 tail cap and dual pressure pad on the top rail.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DevL,

View Quote

You're wrong and he is right.  I have three Surefire X300's (1 X300 and 2 X300U's).  You have to push forward on the "paddle" for momentary.  Rotating the paddle either way locks the switch into constant on.

ETA:  I'm confused on some of your terminology.  What do you mean by having the light "mounted inboard on a rifle?"  I'm not really quite sure what "inboard" means in that context.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
gotcha, after using a streamlight, surefires description sounds as if it is the same.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Gotta ask why someone would care about the light mounted on weak side. It blocks nothing, visually or mechanically. It's in the perfect ergonomic position. What is there to dislike?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for the confusion. What I am trying to say by inboard is that when slung, the side of the rifle hugging the body, for me as a right handed shooter and the weapon slung across the front it would be the left side of the rifle. I prefer 2 point slings most of the time.

Due to snagging and discomfort I like my light, or accessories to be attached to the right side of the rail.

Anyways, that is me, you all have given me some good items to look at and the decision is tough especially since I am reconsidering tape switches.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
This is where I have my light mounted. YMMV. It's a Surefire X300U.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://igcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t51.2885-15/10725197_885549438167780_701781720_n.jpg
View Quote

This is the only way to fly!  I like mine in front of an DD Fixed Front Sight.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://igcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t51.2885-15/10725197_885549438167780_701781720_n.jpg

a tlr-1 is3.26 inches long a x300 is  3 .60, inches.THE ELZEttA CQB is 4.1"

I can't think of anything shorter than a tlr-1 without going to about 80 lumens.  the tlr-3 is 2.71 but at 80limens and short runtime.  it's not really a good choice on anything

based on your post I assume- TELL mE IF I AM WRONG  1.you are activating the tlr hl using a paddle switch (not a remote tape ) with your left hand most likely your middle & pointing finger   2.  the light is inline with the barrel on the 3)clock  right side.  

put the light on the 9:00  .  and activate with your left thumb.  the tlr-1hl is very smooth on top it won't snag on gear.  if the sling mounts on the way move it.  also use a VFG to support not the mag well this opens up thumb or fingers on the left hand to activate with.   or use a hand stop to place your left thumb over the paddel at the 3:00

I finally went to mounting at the 6:00 but I have very different issues.  the TLR-1HL is a good light don't give up yet everything else will be longer heavier & more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the replies, tried the 12:00 position but it blocks too much of my sight picture. I don't like vertical grips nor the magwell hold. I know I'm picky.

I have long arms and am using a short rail so its just a compromise no matter what. I have found a good solution for now, bought a magpul mlok offset rail so it is allowing me to continue running the tlr 1 hl. Will post a pic tonight.

I have a feeling once the suppressor is attached I will have a nice shadow at 7:00.  Can't win them all. Oh and my damn BUIS cause fitment issues too.

I guess this is the fun of a building a complete system.

Still looking into the options presented above but I have a good workable solution until a final decisions is made.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#19]
SD307
You are right about my current deployment of the light. 9:00 just won't work especially with a sling, I need to grip the rifle some how and do not want a vfg. I have seen a lot of tape switches fail so I have stayed away from them, not ruling them out yet though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I have run 10:30 as a right hander for years on multiple duty rigs. Never had the light snag, ever, and run 2 point BFG sling. Dont use vfg or tape switches either. 9" rail, 13" rail etc.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright, you already seem pretty heavily against the 12 o'clock mounting, but I just want to throw some of this out there for you, mainly because I think there is no better way to mount a pistol light on a rifle.  It's ambidextrous, low profile, snag free, easy to reach, etc.  

So, first of all, the TLR-1 is a bad pistol light to use when judging the mounting location.  I've had one and tried it and it almost completely blocked out my irons sight picture.  Here's a comparison between some of the popular options.

As you can see, the X300 and by default the X300U are quite a bit shorter than the TLR-1 (so it'll block your sight picture a lot less).

Because the X300U's bezel is slightly larger than the original X300, and that picture above only shows the X300, here's some pics of my setup.

With irons and X300U mounted.  As you can see, the SF light doesn't interfere with the sight picture at all:

With my AP Micro on a Larue Lower 1/3 mount (the front fixed iron was removed for this photo).  The X300U is barely visible in the lower portion of the RDS.  This may differ slightly if you have an absolute cowitness mounted RDS:

Side profile pic:

Just figured I'd post this as some food for thought if you're still tossing around the idea of picking up an X300U.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Alright, you already seem pretty heavily against the 12 o'clock mounting, but I just want to throw some of this out there for you, mainly because I think there is no better way to mount a pistol light on a rifle.  It's ambidextrous, low profile, snag free, easy to reach, etc.  

So, first of all, the TLR-1 is a bad pistol light to use when judging the mounting location.  I've had one and tried it and it almost completely blocked out my irons sight picture.  Here's a comparison between some of the popular options.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/12-o-clock-light-comparison-460x304.jpg

As you can see, the X300 and by default the X300U are quite a bit shorter than the TLR-1 (so it'll block your sight picture a lot less).

Because the X300U's bezel is slightly larger than the original X300, and that picture above only shows the X300, here's some pics of my setup.

With irons and X300U mounted.  As you can see, the SF light doesn't interfere with the sight picture at all:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5693/20522682805_dbee0bd996_b.jpg

With my AP Micro on a Larue Lower 1/3 mount (the front fixed iron was removed for this photo).  The X300U is barely visible in the lower portion of the RDS.  This may differ slightly if you have an absolute cowitness mounted RDS:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5635/19901760223_cff870412a_b.jpg

Side profile pic:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5827/20496425776_0da5bf3227_b.jpg

Just figured I'd post this as some food for thought if you're still tossing around the idea of picking up an X300U.
View Quote

Dat paint!

Is this the rifle that turning back into a CQBR?
I still hate this light location, but I love your rifle configurations and paint nonetheless.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dat paint!

I still hate this light location, but I love your rifle configurations and paint nonetheless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/12-o-clock-light-comparison-460x304.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5693/20522682805_dbee0bd996_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5635/19901760223_cff870412a_b.jpg

Side profile pic:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5827/20496425776_0da5bf3227_b.jpg

Dat paint!

Nope, I sent off my 12.5" DD barrel to get chopped.  This rifle is staying as-is for "bump in the night" duty.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I actually really liked the 12.5".

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I actually really liked the 12.5".

~Augee
View Quote

Yeah, I liked it too, it just felt a little redundant when compared to my other AR's.  ACOG got moved back to one of my 14.5" guns and I'm probably gonna sell my VCOG seeing as I'm going to be losing access to the property where I do the majority of my longer distance shooting.  Figure what's the point of a 6x optic when I can't shoot any farther than 300m anyway.

Anyways, sorry for the derail OP.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#26]
No worries, I wanted the 12:00 position to work but I wasn't happy loosing 1/3 of my sight picture.

Here is my solution for now.

" />
" />
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No worries, I wanted the 12:00 position to work but I wasn't happy loosing 1/3 of my sight picture.

Here is my solution for now.

http://<a href=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/dag34/IMG_20150812_171540_zpsn1wzkycm.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/dag34/IMG_20150812_171347_zps5fvp6wpw.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

If it works for you, that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#28]
You dont often see ACOGs on SBRs.   There are better throwers than the TLs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Acog suits my needs...well I am open to more suggestions regarding the lights and mounts, tlr1hl works until I find my perfect solution.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

i disagree the tlr-hl is the best light out there for the money.  & it doesn't need a bulky mount

I'm sure you'll claim the surefire scout lights are better or the fury  but those are way beyond price of a tlr-hl, and still need a fancy expensive mount.  and with the hl offering 600+ lumen what are you gaining? a nameplate that's about it.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is the best place to mount a light, if you have the option of doing so. (Which is to say, a non-FSB rifle/no laser that should be there, etc.)
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

i disagree the tlr-hl is the best light out there for the money.  & it doesn't need a bulky mount

I'm sure you'll claim the surefire scout lights are better or the fury  but those are way beyond price of a tlr-hl, and still need a fancy expensive mount.  and with the hl offering 600+ lumen what are you gaining? a nameplate that's about it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because the light has a gazillion lumens doesnt mean it will project a beam at distance.  Yes you can melt a rock but thats anout it.   The reflector determines the throw.   With a magnified optic i "assumed" the op was interested in distance.  But then.....  its an SBR.   What do i know.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I recently rebuilt my SBR.

I put a Proctor PLM and a Streamlight on there. REALLY happy with it.

Super low profile, light weight. Granted the light isn't super powerful, but just fine for the application of the SBR.

For reference, I run X300 Ultra's on all my other rigs. They can be overpowering indoors.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top