Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2015 6:37:28 PM EDT
First, I've tried searching for this topic, and could not find anything about it.

So, I've purchased a light (Bushnell TRKR 140L, just in case if any of you are curious) that I plan on putting on my AR-15. The problem is that the diameter of the light is 0.875." My question is should I get a 0.825," 0.830," or a 1.00" light? Or, should I just get myself a different light? I appreciate any advice, guys.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Im pretty sure you need .915 rings for that light you have.  I would get a 1.00 diameter light since that is more universal and a light that doesnt change colors for a weapon light like a surefire g2/x if you want to save money.  But honestly I'd get a dedicated weapon light like the surefire 952v with a keymod mount.  The 952v can be had for $100 if you look hard enough, i got one here on the EE and one on ebay for $100.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with nchapa here.  You are probably going to have more headaches trying to find a mount for that light than if you just go with a regular 1" light.  Also, that Bushnell light is a multi-mode light which, if you are using it for defensive purposes, can be a liability.  Also, it is only 125lumens which isn't a lot.  Now it might work, but the range would be a bit limited and being that it uses a AA battery, your cold weather performance will be the suck.  If you look, you can get a SureFire G2X Tactical for around $50 and that is a killer light for the money.  Plus it has a 1" tube so it will work with a variety of mounts.   Food for thought.  But I will have to say that I disagree with the M951.  I find those lights to be necessarily heavy.  I used to have a few but sold most of them off.  Not a huge fan of them anymore.  I prefer regular tube lights as you have more adjustability with mounting them and on a Keymod rail you don't have add a pic rail section to mount the light.  There are some direct mounts for the M951 lights but they only work with those lights.  If you ever want to swap out lights you'd have to get a new mount.  Overall, they are kind of neat but their bulk kills the deal IMO.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im pretty sure you need .915 rings for that light you have.  I would get a 1.00 diameter light since that is more universal and a light that doesnt change colors for a weapon light like a surefire g2/x if you want to save money.  But honestly I'd get a dedicated weapon light like the surefire 952v with a keymod mount.  The 952v can be had for $100 if you look hard enough, i got one here on the EE and one on ebay for $100.
View Quote

I've considered the 952V, but having an 8oz light hanging near the muzzle did not sound like a good idea for a self-defense carbine.

What's wrong with Inforce WML series? (...of course with a keymod picatinny section or a Thorntail keymod mount)
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top