Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2015 2:56:27 PM EDT
I'm in the hunt for a new light weight weapon light for my go-to carbine and I have it narrowed down to either the Surefire m300 mini scout or the Elzetta CQB mini. Anyone out there have had their hands on both? Which would you choose and why?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't have the surefire, but my elzetta cqb is really nice. I was really difficult to mount on keymod for me though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't have the surefire, but my elzetta cqb is really nice. I was really difficult to mount on keymod for me though.
View Quote

What made it difficult to mount to the keymod system? Was it your particular rail or  their mounting system?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Surefire is the gold standard.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Surefire.  Their weaponlights are damn near bombproof.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm in the hunt for a new light weight weapon light for my go-to carbine and I have it narrowed down to either the Surefire m300 mini scout or the Elzetta CQB mini. Anyone out there have had their hands on both? Which would you choose and why?
Thanks
View Quote

I am in a similar situation, except with vehicles. I'll help you, if you help me. I am torn between a Honda Accord, and a Toyota Tundra 4x4. Which one should I get?

Now, to help you...what are you using this for? Indoors, or out-doors? If it's out-doors, I'd buy the Surefire. If it's indoors, I'd buy the Elzetta.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have several surefire lights they are very hard to beat.  Great customer service also.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I have mostly Surefires, but I certainly would feel 100% confident with either.

The mini-CQB and M300 have very different beams, so I would try to figure out what I wanted if I were you first...
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I used to think that til I went Elzetta.  Sold all eight of my surefires.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Streamlight HL
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What made it difficult to mount to the keymod system? Was it your particular rail or  their mounting system?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the KMR, it was probably just me but for some reason I had trouble properly aligning the nuts on the IWC mount.
however. now that I have it installed correctly, it is very solid.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Elzetta has a wonderful High/Low switch option too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is it that made the Elzetta that much better?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Live the switch.  Love the size.  Happy with the light output.  

Ive owned multiple g2, g2x, 6p, 6px, p2x models, x300 ultras, m300b and m600 scouts, the 951 too.  Forgot an outdoorsman too.

Ive decided i dont like pressure switches too.  

I like that i can change my bezel and type of lens rather inexpensively.  I like the integrated mount with multiple options on the cqb light too.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
streamlight TLR-1HL

why?
1. strobe feature
2. no need for a mount
3. 600 lumens
4. longer runtime
5. cheaper in cost
5. streamlights are tough as hell

of ops standaed fanboi choices the elzetta.

sure fire has slipped they are offering obsolete products & tech at this time.

sure fireLED generates 200 lumens of blinding white light and continues producing tactical-level light for 1.3 hours

The NEW Mini-CQB Weapon Light includes a 1-Cell Base Unit with a CQB Bezel, 375-lumen Alpha LED Module, and can be configured with a choice of mounts and tailcaps.

streamlight
C4® LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
12,000 candela peak beam intensity and up to 630 lumens.
TIR optic produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination
Run Time: 1.25 hours

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
streamlight TLR-1HL

why?
1. strobe feature
2. no need for a mount
3. 600 lumens
4. longer runtime
5. cheaper in cost

sure fireLED generates 200 lumens of blinding white light and continues producing tactical-level light for 1.3 hours

The NEW Mini-CQB Weapon Light includes a 1-Cell Base Unit with a CQB Bezel, 375-lumen Alpha LED Module, and can be configured with a choice of mounts and tailcaps.

streamlight

View Quote

TLR-1HL is my pistol light of choice.  I just don't like it on a rifle.  I'm not a fanboi of any particular company.  I just find what I like for me.  Carried a stinger and SL20 for years and a TLR1 too.  If the TLR1 had a slightly smaller head I would run it on a rifle in the 12 o clock position.  I like how low the surefire sits but prefer the streamlights activiation.  I don't trust Inforce after some customer service issues.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't own a Surefire, but I do have the Elzetta mini CQB. It is an awesome light, with great output, and beam pattern. 100% made in the USA, lifetime warranty no registration required.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
streamlight TLR-1HL

why?
1. strobe feature
2. no need for a mount
3. 600 lumens
4. longer runtime
5. cheaper in cost

streamlight

View Quote

Surefire is offering tip of the spear output and quality products. Their current 1 CR123 offering is 300 OTF lumens and nearly 10K LUX. From 1 battery. Two batteries gets you 500 lumens or 600 lumens. Their TIR optics are made of CoC. Much better in every way compared to polycarbonate. The current tint they use has the best contrast of any LED I have ever used, including custom 4500K 92+ CRI Nichia's from Malkoff. They offer IIIa anodizing and not the 2a on many SL offerings (although I am unsure what the SL light you reference uses, but I know my Protac 1L's scratch and gouge if you look at them wrong.)

Elzetta has a great product and the mini CQB is great, however, it only pushes out 1800 LUX. Keep that in mind. It's an indoor light.

Some people like strobe. It has some uses. But I prefer it in  a HL, not a WML. For a WML, there should be 2 or 3 settings: Off. On or Push/pressure-only.

I am a huge HUGE fan of Surefire, but I use other products where they suit me. Like Malkoff, Nailbender, EDC, and others. However, I find that my SF products of late have pushed all the others aside and I'm selling them off or they are collecting dust. Not because I'm leg-humping SF, but because their products are superior in performance.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for considering Elzetta products.  As others have said, the M300 and Mini-CQB are very different products.  The M300 has a narrow concentrated beam whereas our Mini-CQB has a wide diffuse beam (high-lumen/low-candela) designed specifically for CQB applications.  This video demonstrates the importance of beam pattern and intensity when choosing the best light for your mission (too much intensity is counter-productive for close-range work):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSOowE_LsY

Other factors to consider include durability (only Elzetta provides fully-potted electronics which make a HUGE difference in durability - no other flashlights come close to Elzetta toughness), modularity (Elzetta Modular Flashlights feature interchangeable Bezel Rings, Lenses, and Tailcaps to custom tailor your light to your preferences and mission and allow easy modification when your preferences or mission changes), and flexibility (the Mini-CQB directly attaches to M1913 Picatinny, Keymod, and M-LOK).

We have been an industry partner here on AR15.com for many years and appreciate your support!

View Quote

I dealt with Elzetta before you guys and Gene Malkoff knew each other existed.

From the very get-go, this company has been the definition of what you think of when you think of "American small business success through hard work and treating people correctly". If it fits your needs, there is no better source for it.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
streamlight TLR-1HL

why?
1. strobe feature
2. no need for a mount
3. 600 lumens
4. longer runtime
5. cheaper in cost

streamlight

View Quote

I have surefire lights, using the same number of cells, putting out the exact same amount of light as what you have posted (or similar)......

so please tell me how you quoting the output of surefires old gear makes them obsolete?

One of the joys of being a department armorer too is that I get to see virtually everything that breaks.

I would personally have to disagree with your sentiments that the TLR series lights are "tough as hell".   While I'd still state that they are perfectly acceptable and better than nothing, they're also the only one's I've seen break.

I'd love to give elzetta's lights a go, but unfortunately they won't work with how I have my lights set up.  The ones I have played with look great though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#21]

so please tell me how you quoting the output of surefires old gear makes them obsolete

I cut & pasted that right off the surfire website for the mini scout the OP  asked about I included elzettas mini cqb cut& paste

then cut & paste the TLRhl off stream lights web site

of the 2 choices the OP  offered the TLR  outperforms both by a wide margin.

how is the mini scout old tech typical fanboy defense of surefire which is behind the curve in every catergory at this time and been completley knocked out of the IR market

this is a tech forum so I have to bow out but
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Every Streamlight weapon light that I have mounted on a firearm has broken after firing the weapon. Every...single...one. I woke up after the fourth try and never went back.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]

I have a few Streamlights on pistols and they have all held up fine.  My shotgun has a Surefire but that is just the way things worked out but either way it has held up to many, many rounds of buckshot run through the gun without any problems.  I like them both.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#24]
You would be GTG either way.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Every Streamlight weapon light that I have mounted on a firearm has broken after firing the weapon. Every...single...one. I woke up after the fourth try and never went back.
View Quote

where are you in fla we can meet up I'll teach you how to properly mount a light
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#26]
The scout light is a damn good light for what it is.  And Elzetta lights are damn near bombproof and great lights from what I have seen.

I have a Fenix TK11 light in an Elzetta mount on my Patrol Rifle.  Love the mount and would honestly love to get an Elzetta light to go with the mount but there is no reason to buy one while the Fenix is working so good.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#27]
The SF 300 scout is 300 lumens... may want to check a little harder on the websites you get your info from.

You posted the old specs, SF upped the output the begining of this year and still maintains 1.3 hours of output on a single 123.

Not a fan boy by any means, but 17 years in LE and a full time instructor, I have used, carried or seen other cops use every type of hand held and weapon mounted light made in the past 20 years, and I have yet to see anything take as much abuse as the surefires. When the modern high output LED came about in hand helds and weapon lights, it made them damm near indestructable. I cant say that about any other brand I have seen used on the streets and in the shoot house.

From the days of D-cell maglites, to the newest LED wml's, its been a long strange trip.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I currently have either I all my non-pistol firearms.  As other have already pointed out they have different beam patterns and thus serve different purposes.  I keep a Surefire (M300 or M600U/P on weapons that I need more reach) and I have a couple Elzettas on my "house" guns.  For the money I believe the Elzettas have a better quality feel over the Surefires but I've been using Surefires for years without an issue.  I've beet the hell out of several Surefires and currently run them on both my duty pistol and rifle.  

You really can't go wrong with either but I will say that I've been very impressed with the new Elzettas.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#29]
elzetta....love the modular design, they will explain any and every single aspect of the illumination game to you, and they are rugged n sexy
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Tee hee! Thanks for the offer! But every other light that i have used, on or off duty, has held up just fine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I have found the weak point in the surefires is the tail cap either clicky or swivel they almost always fail have gone through 4 or 5 tail caps the clickys are much more delicate than the mommentaries.  .

I am not having similar problems with the stream light paddleswitch I just wish it had a true off setting.  Of the leds I have never seen one fail of either brand.  I have never owned an elzetta & have made no comments on them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Surefire TIR lens is hard to beat IMO.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#35]

I had no idea.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#36]
They are both quality lights, but I am slowly switching my rifles over to ElZetta, they are simply the toughest light I have ever used.  

NCH
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

streamlight TLR-1HL

why?

1. strobe feature

2. no need for a mount

3. 600 lumens

4. longer runtime

5. cheaper in cost

streamlight

View Quote
Surefire M300C is 300 lumen.

I have Surefire mini scouts and Streamlight TLR-1HLs. The Streamlights illuminate a whole room but do not throw far, the Surefire M300 throws like a boss but less spill. I like both, but they have different beams for sure.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:26:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Elzetta. Seeing the videos and reviews that have come out on the elzetta lights and my own experience it's an easy choice. Elzetta survives drops from helicopters onto concrete and a few shotgun shells too. Not to mention completely water proof. Learning of the fully potted electronics in elzetta lights I wonder why you would ever have a weapon mounted, serious use light without it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Elzetta all the way...... Both are great products but surefire does not offer the customization and configuration capabilities of Elzetta.  Either way you will have a great light but Elzetta takes the Gold medal.  I just wish they offered a multi configuration kit option (Elzetta IM me if you want to know what I mean by that)
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:38:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You are are wise to insist on fully potted electronics.  Potting does not just make a device a little tougher, it makes it tougher by orders of magnitude!  (Ever wonder how "black boxes" survive airplane crashes?)  Nonetheless, Elzetta and Malkoff are the only flashlight manufacturers we know of that pot the electronics in their products.  Does that make us "pot heads"?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urPDL1rTpqc

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Elzetta. Seeing the videos and reviews that have come out on the elzetta lights and my own experience it's an easy choice. Elzetta survives drops from helicopters onto concrete and a few shotgun shells too. Not to mention completely water proof. Learning of the fully potted electronics in elzetta lights I wonder why you would ever have a weapon mounted, serious use light without it.

You are are wise to insist on fully potted electronics.  Potting does not just make a device a little tougher, it makes it tougher by orders of magnitude!  (Ever wonder how "black boxes" survive airplane crashes?)  Nonetheless, Elzetta and Malkoff are the only flashlight manufacturers we know of that pot the electronics in their products.  Does that make us "pot heads"?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urPDL1rTpqc

EDC Plus has beautiful potted electronics.

I don't believe Surefire pots their SCOUT lights, but I have yet to hear of a failure secondary to that. I do wish they did, however.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a surefire with Elzetta guts. it works.

Elzetta cqb on order.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#44]
OK, looking to spend some hard earned cash on a weapons light.  I'm truly torn between the Elzetta Mini-CQB, and a Surefire x300 Ultra.  Both seem to have their positives, the 300 more of an outdoor weapon option, and the Elzetta meant for indoor (ala CQB) use.  Both seem pretty reliable and well built.  $$$ for either.  

I kind of think I'll end up with both down the road, but any input one way or the other?  I was leaning towards SF solely because I could throw it on either a handgun or AR out of the box and really think the exterior use is where I'll use it most.  The Elzetta more of a Home Defense SBR/Pistol/Rifle affair.  

Help me spend my $.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I am in a similar situation, except with vehicles. I'll help you, if you help me. I am torn between a Honda Accord, and a Toyota Tundra 4x4. Which one should I get?

Now, to help you...what are you using this for? Indoors, or out-doors? If it's out-doors, I'd buy the Surefire. If it's indoors, I'd buy the Elzetta.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

Ill help you both

Get the Toyota Tundra 4x4...the accord is just too androgynous, no excitement, no personality, just meh....not a bad choice, but it lacks the intangible

Get the Elzetta. Flood lens for indoors, normal lens for outdoors. Their flashlight education blogs alone got me to give them my business. They make awesome, rock solid, modular flashlights and their mounts are pretty sweet too.

Nothing wrong with Surefire but they get enough mil contract business already and i get tired of running into Surefire Fan Bois (might be me though...i have the same problem with Ducati riders and a couple other brands)
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Not positive,  but I heard you cannot run rechargeable 123's in elzetta's, due to voiding warranty.  That's whats kept me personally from elzetta lights.
I do not want keep feeding a light primary 123's with how much I use my work lights on the road, and not have a rechargeable option. .
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No, you will not void your warranty.  Even THIS didn't void Elzetta's lifetime warranty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozstdsnHNs  

However, while rechargeable batteries may be used in Elzetta Alpha and Bravo models for non-critical applications, they should never be used for serious missions where lives are on the line.  Only USA-Made CR123A batteries meet our quality standards for durability and reliability.  This video blog explains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZDht8scvUE

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not positive,  but I heard you cannot run rechargeable 123's in elzetta's, due to voiding warranty.  That's whats kept me personally from elzetta lights.
I do not want keep feeding a light primary 123's with how much I use my work lights on the road, and not have a rechargeable option. .

No, you will not void your warranty.  Even THIS didn't void Elzetta's lifetime warranty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozstdsnHNs  

However, while rechargeable batteries may be used in Elzetta Alpha and Bravo models for non-critical applications, they should never be used for serious missions where lives are on the line.  Only USA-Made CR123A batteries meet our quality standards for durability and reliability.  This video blog explains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZDht8scvUE

Thanks, good to know. Back to look at your current offerings....
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top