Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/6/2015 12:46:33 PM EDT
Hi, recently I had been watching military documentary clips about missions and just wondering, what kind of lights there using like the one from the below video clip?
Are those Surefire weapon lights or just only the PEQ-15 IR lasers?
Or, do they use both?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3qJ7woEYfc

The greenish beams look very bright, are those from the mounted weapon lights or from the PEQ-15 type IR lasers?

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
PEQ15s are pretty common.   Surefire IR capable lights are also pretty standard.  Sometimes scouts or 720s.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#2]
So in that video, they use both Surefire IR lights and plus the PEQ-15s IR lasers?
What Surefire lights in that video might they be using?
Any idea?

Perhaps maybe the Surefire M620V Scout Lights or the Surefire M952V?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It's kinda hard to tell what lights they're using, with it being so dark and all. They might not even be Surefire lights.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is another clip of their training at night, and looks to be that mostly they use the PEQ-15 IR lasers more than they use weapon lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXvEHECegvo

It Also depends on the situation.....If its covert operations they will not be using visible light. Either PEQ-15 IR lasers or IR capable weapon lights that may vary in brand and may not be even Surefire as you posted. Maybe Insight weapon lights. Insights are also one major supplier for the military. But Surefire seems to be the "Top Dog" when it comes to tactical/Military uses.  
They may even use Streamlights

And my other question -  Do Special Ops forces get to choose what type of weapon lights they get to use or does the military issue them?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread is on the verge of becoming more of a General Discussion.

But to answer some of your questions:

Normally a visible white light is used in conjunction with an IR Laser and Illuminator.  As far as unit purchases go, each unit can vary on what to buy; and each person can decide to purchase their own.  Generally speaking Insight and Surefire are widely used within the military.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#6]
For General questions like these, what forum area can I go?
I just registered and I am new on here.
Sorry in advance.

However, there is a site called PEO Soldier Systems and one can check what lasers and lights are used for the military.
http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/programs/pmssl/

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
That video in the OP is from Sadr City, and IIRC correctly, was from pretty early on in the war.  IR LAM's are probably PEQ-2's but possibly 15's.

I saw a couple SF 900 series VFG lights in the video, but due to the timeframe, I'd guess quite a few millennium series or early Scouts in the mix.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]
According to the link below, they get issued the AN/PEQ15s. But I do not know how updated this site is.
You can see all approved gear here.
http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/programs/pmssl/

On those videos, mostly there using IR lasers more than their weapon lights. Lasers have more throw in them with a tighter and stronger beam.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I just want to use a light what the Special Ops guys use so I can feel confident that its a robust, rugged, and bright enough light.
But like you all posted, it varies from brand being from Surefire, Insights, or Streamlights.  

Now, of course, being a civilian myself, I cannot even own IR related lights. So that's why perhaps the Surefire M600u would be the closest lights that they use except the fact, that this model does not have IR. Which is NOT a problem for me of course.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry about my font sizes, but I have poor vision...Sorry.
And I guess I will be buying the Surefire M600 Ultra then. Looks nice. I like the form factor.

I even came across this picture below.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/SOPMOD_2-2005.jpg

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Then I will get the M600 Ultra
But its on backorder
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Insight WMX200 is what is currently issued to Army SF.

However, individuals can buy what they want with their own money so you may see a wide range on guns.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then I will get the M600 Ultra
But its on backorder
View Quote

What do you mean it's on backorder?  I could probably find 10+ websites right now that have them in stock.

ETA:  FWIW the M600U is what I use on my work rifle (and strangely enough when I'm not carrying the rifle I use it as a handheld).  I'm by no means anywhere close to an SOF type, but it's a pretty sturdy light
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I will use it mostly as a handheld light as well.

Here is my other question if you guys don't mind.
If I leave the batteries in the light when I don't use the light, will these batteries leak like alkaline types do?
So if I just store the light in my room and not using it for a while, will it be OK to leave the batteries in the light?

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will use it mostly as a handheld light as well.

Here is my other question if you guys don't mind.
If I leave the batteries in the light when I don't use the light, will these batteries leak like alkaline types do?
So if I just store the light in my room and not using it for a while, will it be OK to leave the batteries in the light?

View Quote

You shouldn't have any battery leakage issues.  The M600U uses lithium CR123's, which to my knowledge aren't prone to leakage.  

When my work M600U isn't on my rifle, it sits in my truck in the Florida heat (it's a personally owned light so it comes off when my rifle goes in the armory).  My other 2 sit on rifles in my safe.  Also have had older SF Scouts in the past (plus a handful of other CR123 lights).  Never any leakage issues with them
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#21]
So, for the US Special Ops guys, are these the lights that get issued to them below?
http://www.insighttechnology.com/l3-products/vbl-iii-wmx-200

I looked at some videos about this light and the beam isn't all that bright...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYcTaEMXG8s

At 1:35  the beam is pretty small. Not a whole lot of throw.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So, for the US Special Ops guys, are these the lights that get issued to them below?
http://www.insighttechnology.com/l3-products/vbl-iii-wmx-200

I looked at some videos about this light and the beam isn't all that bright...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYcTaEMXG8s

At 1:35  the beam is pretty small. Not a whole lot of throw.

View Quote

Yes, that is the current issue SOPMOD weaponlight.  Unless you have NV + an ATPIAL (or other IR LAM with an IR Illuminator), there's no point in getting one.

Insight has also discontinued commercial sales, so you'll only find one on the secondhand market.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Is there any specs on this WMX200 light such as lumens on High and the lumen on LOW modes?
On the L3 site, they don't list the specs on it. I am just curious, that's all.
My guess that on thee High output mode it is 200 lumens, because I assume that is what "200" means in the WMX200.

But for sure, I will get the Surefire M600. Should be arriving next week.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

200 lumes, 45mW. Both are very diffused with lots of spill. I used this light for a while and found it lacking.

IIRC, the High output refers to the IR output, not the white. The white should be 200 lumens on both versions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any specs on this WMX200 light such as lumens on High and the lumen on LOW modes?
On the L3 site, they don't list the specs on it. I am just curious, that's all.
My guess that on thee High output mode it is 200 lumens, because I assume that is what "200" means in the WMX200.

But for sure, I will get the Surefire M600. Should be arriving next week.

200 lumes, 45mW. Both are very diffused with lots of spill. I used this light for a while and found it lacking.

IIRC, the High output refers to the IR output, not the white. The white should be 200 lumens on both versions.

I think he may have been talking about the "navigation" light output level you can activate by pushing slightly on the tailcap push button.  I think it's something like 5-10 lumens.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Slightly off-topic...

But, I had been thinking here regarding the Surefire M600 which I am waiting for. They said it will be in by next week.
Anyways, since I will NOT be using it as a weapon light, can I ask the store manager to give me a price discount if I tell them to take out the pressure switches and all the needed weapon mounted accessories?
Been thinking about this.
It wont hurt to ask them.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Slightly off-topic...

But, I had been thinking here regarding the Surefire M600 which I am waiting for. They said it will be in by next week.
Anyways, since I will NOT be using it as a weapon light, can I ask the store manager to give me a price discount if I tell them to take out the pressure switches and all the needed weapon mounted accessories?

View Quote

If you're not going to be using it as a weapon light, then don't buy a weapon light. Asking a store to not include the parts you don't need is stupid as it is a whole kit. And asking us, since you haven't told us where you bought it, is just as stupid.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I am surprised no one has brought up the PEQ-16 yet. Unless I missed it. That is a great piece of illumination gear. PEQ-16

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am surprised no one has brought up the PEQ-16 yet. Unless I missed it. That is a great piece of illumination gear. PEQ-16

View Quote

Meh I like having my white light seperate from the LAM.  AFAIK, the USMC is the only branch that uses it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I did not realize it was only issued to the Marines. Regarding the OPs original question, it can read as an open question with reference to a specific video.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Slightly off-topic...

View Quote

If you have no intention of using it as a weapon light, why would you buy a weapon light? you can get the same body and light head in a light made for hand held use thats mor comfortable and costs less than half. And if you want just a hand held, there are many lights that are far better than any of the weapon mounted lights?

I think you need to stop looking at what SF uses on rifles and get a realistic idea of what you need before you just go and spend your allowance on a light that is totally wrong for what you want.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Makes sense, yes. But I just like the size or the form factor of the Surefire M600 lights. There just the perfect shape.
That's the way how I look at it.
The closest thing I can get as far as a handheld, would be the SF LX2 or the E2D Defender.

But this is a decision that I need to make. And yes, I did cancel my order...

I wish I had my hands on the Insight WMX200. That's also on my wish list.  
But as I read, it is not even available commercially to the public.
Can someone confirm this?

And thanks to all who are trying to save me some money not to be buying a weapon light when I don't use it for a weapon.
But I do like the sizes of these weapon lights and like the way they look. And I can probably take off the mounting screws with special tools in order to use it as a handheld.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Makes sense, yes. But I just like the size or the form factor of the Surefire M600 lights. There just the perfect shape.
That's the way how I look at it.
The closest thing I can get as far as a handheld, would be the SF LX2 or the E2D Defender.

But this is a decision that I need to make. And yes, I did cancel my order...

I wish I had my hands on the Insight WMX200. That's also on my wish list.  
But as I read, it is not even available commercially to the public.
Can someone confirm this?

And thanks to all who are trying to save me some money not to be buying a weapon light when I don't use it for a weapon.
But I do like the sizes of these weapon lights and like the way they look. And I can probably take off the mounting screws with special tools in order to use it as a handheld.
View Quote

Yes, the WMX200 is no longer commercially available, although it was in the past.  Look to spend right around $500 to buy one on the secondhand market.

As for removing the mount on the Scout light, yes you can, but there's a large metal "shelf" (for lack of a better word) that sticks off the side of the body with some rather sharp edges.  I use my M600U on a Larue Mount as a handheld sometimes at work, but it's not very comfy.  If I were you, I'd go the dedicated handheld route.

ETA:  If you want a Scout to use as a handheld, the E2D LED Defender Ultra looks to be an exact copy of the M600U without the mount portion.  It's also quite a bit cheaper.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, I made the decision to get the SF E2DL Ultra.
I came to my senses, what's the point on having a weapon light when there is no need to. So yes...I agree, it was silly to order one but I cancelled it.
Again, thanks a lot for all your support.

On my video that I posted here on this thread from the previous pages, are these guys using the PEQ-16s or the PEQ-15 IR lasers?
The video is quite grainy but 720p setting should make it more clearer.
I love this video...I just like the lasers that these guys use and how bright these are .)

But one question on this video furthermore, I cannot tell whether there using regular mounted weapon lights or using the PEQ-15 IR lasers?
I cannot tell. The light seems to be coming off from the top of the barrels instead of from the sides it looks like to me.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks, I made the decision to get the SF E2DL Ultra.
I came to my senses, what's the point on having a weapon light when there is no need to. So yes...I agree, it was silly to order one but I cancelled it.
Again, thanks a lot for all your support.

On my video that I posted here on this thread from the previous pages, are these guys using the PEQ-16s or the PEQ-15 IR lasers?
The video is quite grainy but 720p setting should make it more clearer.
I love this video...I just like the lasers that these guys use and how bright these are .)

But one question on this video furthermore, I cannot tell whether there using regular mounted weapon lights or using the PEQ-15 IR lasers?
I cannot tell. The light seems to be coming off from the top of the barrels instead of from the sides it looks like to me.
View Quote

PEQ-15s is my guess without watching the video as only the Marines have the -16s.

What's with this laser and light obsession?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top