Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 4:26:28 PM EDT
I would like to add a laser sight and this will be my first mod. I really like green as I see it better. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The first question is, what is your budget?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a hunch, but I'm guessing you're new to this, and my suggestion would be to skip the laser.  They're tacticool as fuck, but visible lasers are pretty much useless outside of a few very narrow circumstances.  You'll be better served tenfold by an RDS of some sort.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a hunch, but I'm guessing you're new to this, and my suggestion would be to skip the laser.  They're tacticool as fuck, but visible lasers are pretty much useless outside of a few very narrow circumstances.  You'll be better served tenfold by an RDS of some sort.
View Quote

aww, don't discourage him  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would like to add a laser sight and this will be my first mod. I really like green as I see it better. Any suggestions?
View Quote

Yes, don't.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just kidding (not really).    So what's your budget?  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

After doing a few night shoots with a visible green laser I am now a big fan of them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
After doing a few night shoots with a visible green laser I am now a big fan of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I tested out a crimson trace unit on one of my M&P9 for the last year and a half.  Has helped with training consistent trigger pull, is great in low light, on movers, odd positions etc.  I still do the vast majority of my live fire practice laser off, but for me there is no denying the benefits to a visible laser on a defensive weapon, provided you train properly with it.

Based on that, I am considering putting a CT rail master on my new .300blk build I am doing.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  So, were you using this in defensive type training, hunting, or just plinking?  

IME, visible lasers tend to wash out in daylight as well as when they're used in conjunction with a bright weaponlight..  The more they wash out, the harder they are to pick up on.  It's always been much easier to use an RDS in conjunction with a weaponlight if NV+IR LAM isn't an option for low/no light type stuff.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Interesting.  So, were you using this in defensive type training, hunting, or just plinking?  

IME, visible lasers tend to wash out in daylight as well as when they're used in conjunction with a bright weaponlight..  The more they wash out, the harder they are to pick up on.  It's always been much easier to use an RDS in conjunction with a weaponlight if NV+IR LAM isn't an option for low/no light type stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was more 3 gun/action shooting like.  I was one leave and shooting with a friend, who along with the rest of his  SWAT team doing an impromptu competition.  Although I would not say they are substitute for other sights in all instances, they made hitting moving targets in low light while on the move pretty easy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
DBAL A3.

If you're gonna have a green laser, may as well have one that is slaved to an IR laser with an illuminator on board.

Next step, NVGs
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]
When shopping for a green laser make sure to look for one that is 520nm in wavelength. The old style of 532nm green lasers is a complicated system of optics and crystals that dramatically reduces reliability on a rifle. Here is a graphic showing part of the optics of an old green DPSS (Diode Pumped Solid State) laser:

Where as a 520nm green laser is simply this:

The advantage of direct diode lasers are many, but reliability, thermal stability, and vibration tolerance are the most important for firearms use.

Holosun and Primary Arms both offer red-dots with built in 520nm green lasers that have lifetime warranties. I highly recommend looking into those options.

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top