Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 9:39:04 PM EDT
I am getting a lot of mixed information on this WML as I do research on it. I bought it a few months ago for $100 and the light output is honestly not that bad, however, I am looking to upgrade.

Here are pictures:

From what I can tell, my two options are this or this.

My questions are: Is upgrading to either of these actually worth it in terms of light output? If neither of these are suitable, what would you do? Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Currently attempting to make those pictures smaller. Edit: Fixed
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy it from? The mount is actually not the quick detach type so technically it would be a 951 series. It also looks to have been upgraded already with what appears to be a P7 or similar LED drop in. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but something about the tailcap seems a bit off as well.

If you could post some pictures of the disassembled bezel, and most importantly of the actual lamp assembly, it would help to confirm if the upgrades you linked to would actually fit.

The Malkoff is pretty much the most recommended option because of it's build quality, features, warranty and the fact that it's made in the USA. Even if the Malkoff isn't the brightest option it is still a great upgrade for reliability and run time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought it from a sheriff's deputy who upgraded to an x300 Scout.

Here is a picture of the entire thing disassembled:

If it's not visible in the picture, the lamp itself says Surefire P60L - WH
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I've just seen too many counterfeit Surefires and become a bit paranoid. Either of the drop in modules you posted should fit fine but my preference for the Malkoff remains.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Does the malkoff lamp provide much more light output than the stock P60L-WH?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the malkoff lamp provide much more light output than the stock P60L-WH?
View Quote

Yes. Without looking it up I believe the surefire 60L is around 120lumen. The malkoff is around 350 lumens.

I have one of the ones from Amazon in 1 of mine. It works good, took a bit of trimming to get it to seat, but it's bright.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright, I just ordered the Malkoff drop in to be on the safe side. Thank you for your help, guys!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright, I just ordered the Malkoff drop in to be on the safe side. Thank you for your help, guys!
View Quote

you won't be disappointed.  It should have a considerably better amount of light output than what was in there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll update this thread with pictures of before and after light outputs for anyone else with the same question.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
In order to fit a Malkoff drop-in, you will have to remove the plastic ring inside the collar that connects the bezel to the body on the M951. You might also need to ream out the inside of the bezel end of the collar to get the Malkoff to seat far enough into it that you can tighten the bezel all the way down and eliminate gaps. Also, you may or may not need to stretch the spring on the Malkoff a little bit to ensure a good electrical connection. If you have any questions feel free to ask since I've done about a dozen of the M951 + Malkoff conversions.

ETA: Which Malkoff did you order? Any of them are considerably better than the mediocre SureFire P60L.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Better to get a custom LU60 adapter that is tailored for contemporary drop-in modules like the Malkoff.

See this thread or this thread for more information.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#12]
kevin at brightflashlights.com.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top