Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/14/2015 1:03:13 AM EDT
Arisaka and Rosch Works are using Don McLeish designed reflectors and xpg2 pills assembled by malkoff in their SL1 and E1 lights, respectively. Claiming 250 to 280 of lumens or so. I used my m31 drop in in a VME head for this test.

The M600U is a very successful wml featuring Surefire's TIR technology, and the M300c is its new little brother. Both are very popular.

The Streamlight Protac 1L is a 180 otf lumen 2.0oz light preferred by Frank Proctor so strongly that he had a special mount made just for him and that light by Unity.

Below, I compare the above as well as the high and low beams of my 2010 grand jeep cherokee. The target is a red 1 gallon gas jug at 50 meters wedged between the two small tree trunks center frame at waist level, with the larger light colored oak as a backdrop.

Jeep hi beams:

Jeep low beams:

SL PT1L:

Malkoff 280 otf lumen M31 in VME head with AR coated sapphire lens:

Surefire M300c (KE1F head):

Surefire M600U (KE2C head):

My headlights remain my most powerful WML's.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
An interesting comparison, thanks. The beam shots also help to show a bit of the differences between reflector based lights like the Malkoffs vs a TIR optic light like the Surefires which have a more narrow beam.
-Although some might say that comparing actual weapon mountable flashlights to a pair of 1k+ lumen headlights with their ~8x6" reflectors and 40+ pound battery is sort of apples and oranges. Interestingly, with the influx of new 6v multi-die LED's from Cree and FET/Zener diode modded drivers, there are some relatively simple flashlights out there now that will give your headlights a run for their money. For ~70 dollars you can put together a 6v XHP70, zener diode driver and a pair of Samsung INR batteries in a Solarforce L2-D18 host and theoretically be able to generate ~4k+ lumens for nearly half an hour. Let's hear it for Moore's law!
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An interesting comparison, thanks. The beam shots also help to show a bit of the differences between reflector based lights like the Malkoffs vs a TIR optic light like the Surefires which have a more narrow beam.
-Although some might say that comparing actual weapon mountable flashlights to a pair of 1k+ lumen headlights with their ~8x6" reflectors and 40+ pound battery is sort of apples and oranges. Interestingly, with the influx of new 6v multi-die LED's from Cree and FET/Zener diode modded drivers, there are some relatively simple flashlights out there now that will give your headlights a run for their money. For ~70 dollars you can put together a 6v XHP70, zener diode driver and a pair of Samsung INR batteries in a Solarforce L2-D18 host and theoretically be able to generate ~4k+ lumens for nearly half an hour. Let's hear it for Moore's law!
View Quote

What impressed me most was how far 1 CR123 powered lights have come. Here is a quick comparo at my apartment complex of my M300C and M600U:
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#3]
This illustrates the utility of each light in a small structure. From the door frame to the far wall in the kitchen is 6 meters. The edge of the door frame the lights were held against is about 1.2m from the wall seen to the right with the boxes stacked against it. The room is a total of roughly 4m across, with the first door on the left appearing at 3 meters beyond the entry door, and the second door at 5 meters. The second door is offset into the kitchen by roughly 1/2meter.

SL PT1L:

Surefire M300C:

Malkoff M31:
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top