Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2015 8:47:16 AM EDT
After thinking I'm prepared for most any contingent, I came to the realization that all of my LED flashlights that I have converted to, and love, would be utter worthless after an EMP attack, due to the circuit board thingy being fried. Am I correct in this?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#1]
No,you are not. Your LEDs will work just fine after the EMP attack that will never come.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
EMP is a long wave EMF.

It needs a long run of wire in order for the EMF to generate voltage and current. Think of it like a generator, a magnet and a wire. You need a long wound wire to get that voltage and current from the magnetic field.

Same with EMP.

Telephone line...trashed
Electric power lines and transformers....trashed
Power station generators....trashed
large motors........trashed, maybe even some small motors.

electronic items....likely ok

and if your LED flashlight has an aluminum body......most likely perfectly fine.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No,you are not. Your LEDs will work just fine after the EMP attack that will never come.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're house will never catch on fire either, so you can get rid of your fire extinguishers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're house will never catch on fire either, so you can get rid of your fire extinguishers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, your house could catch on fire.  What you're talking about is like worrying about a meteor strike and what you should do to prevent against that, except for the fact that meteor strikes have actually happened.

The EMP thing is so absurdly overblown it's not even funny.  A country launching a nuke would be committing suicide -- to do it for the purpose of maybe knocking out some portions of the electrical grid in the US would be silly.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, your house could catch on fire.  What you're talking about is like worrying about a meteor strike and what you should do to prevent against that, except for the fact that meteor strikes have actually happened.

The EMP thing is so absurdly overblown it's not even funny.  A country launching a nuke would be committing suicide -- to do it for the purpose of maybe knocking out some portions of the electrical grid in the US would be silly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you have it all figured out.  Ooh-Rah!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If there is an EMP strike where I live during the summer, I will probably die because there will be no air conditioning.  If I live through that, I will ride my sons bike 3 blocks to the Target and grab a few incandescent bulb lights.  I personally have a few bulb Maglites but if I did not, that would be my plan.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:31:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Giving up all the advantages that LED's bring to the table, simply because you're afraid of the 0.000000000000000001% chance of an EMP seems just a tad bit shortsighted.  A little bit tin-foilish too.

Meh, in the end, it's your money.  You've been given solid advice here.  Follow it.  Or don't. Doubt anybody actually gives a shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:51:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright Rambo, good luck saving yourself with your flashlight when the country is thrust into the dark ages.

So, just how many EMP strikes have been used in your city?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I would suggest you read some non-chicken little reports on EMPs. They're not nearly as destructive as you've been led to believe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would suggest you read some non-chicken little reports on EMPs. They're not nearly as destructive as you've been led to believe.
View Quote

This.  Basically anything not plugged into a large grid (telephone, cable, electrical) should be fine.  

Don't believe everything you read in Lights Out / One Second After
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
while I personally agree with the group that EMP from a terrestrial source is a bit low probability, what I think some forget is the option of having a solar CME that would cause issues. I don't worry much about my flashlight, but more a vehicle and the general infrastructure. Not that it's another very likely scenario, but I think the chances are maybe better than an outlaw country detonating a nuke in our atmosphere and hoping for the best. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After thinking I'm prepared for most any contingent, I came to the realization that all of my LED flashlights that I have converted to, and love, would be utter worthless after an EMP attack, due to the circuit board thingy being fried. Am I correct in this?
View Quote

If you're close enough that it would fry your flashlight LEDs, it would kill you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Well said.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got EMP insurance from allstate.

I'm in good hands.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
while I personally agree with the group that EMP from a terrestrial source is a bit low probability, what I think some forget is the option of having a solar CME that would cause issues. I don't worry much about my flashlight, but more a vehicle and the general infrastructure. Not that it's another very likely scenario, but I think the chances are maybe better than an outlaw country detonating a nuke in our atmosphere and hoping for the best. :)

View Quote

Your vehicle is probably fine in that scenario -- what may be an issue is satellite communications.  Many people don't realize how much our infrastructure depends on satcom today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your vehicle is probably fine in that scenario -- what may be an issue is satellite communications.  Many people don't realize how much our infrastructure depends on satcom today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw that. I can't live without XM.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#18]
We navy folk hoo ya .
I think josh is correct in his assessment.
Emp is a waste of the item because it could do very little.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

Most people don't realize that during the 60's we EMP'd the fuck out of Hawaii a few times.
They got by just fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep.

Most people don't realize that during the 60's we EMP'd the fuck out of Hawaii a few times.
They got by just fine.
View Quote

While I'm with you all on the unlikelihood of a high altitude EMP and the fact that it would not affect flashlights, to be fair we never really 'EMP'd' Hawaii. Starfish Prime was about 900 miles away using a warhead that was not tuned for an E1 pulse - even still the blast took out street lights, knocked out a microwave telecom link and was responsible for ultimately destroying half a dozen satellites, and that was more than 50 years ago - heck Sputnik wasn't even 5 years old at the time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep.

They got by just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

They got by just fine.

Sure about that? They gave us Obama.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

They got by just fine.

I thought Kenya did that.

Do I have to change my vacation plans to Obama's birthplace?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

People will still say that's tinfoil stuff
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link to lots of SCIENTIFIC answers on EMP

link
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I think GD might be a better place for this thread.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Houses catch fire all the time, in fact several thousand times every year in the US alone. How many non nuclear test EMP blasts have been reported anywhere in the world... ever...?

If a nuke detonates anywhere over North America, your flashlight working will be the least of your worries because it will mean we just entered WW3.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recommend getting rid of your cars and buying several horses and buggies or an old model T with a hand crank
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top