Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2015 10:17:54 PM EDT
I have been shopping for IR lasers for a few months ago, and keep going back and fourth on whether to hold out and try and get a Class3 from somewhere or just buy a DBAL D2.  I had all but made up my mind in the DBAL D2 when I found this "New" DBAL on optics planet that says it is a class 3 IR but there is no government restrictions was just curious if this is a website fluke, IR stats are in correct or if this is legit and should buy it.  Looked and found this same device on optics for you as well, both priced at  $1119.00, both say Class 3 IR.  Would post link but due to the forum rules I don't think I can.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I cannot find out anything about it after scouring Google or their normal/mil websites.  I want to believe but am going to stay away since I don't know what it is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
What you're probably seeing is the new Class 1/3R civvy legal DBAL-A3.  Link

I'm pretty sure it hasn't actually been released yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.opticsplanet.com/steiner-eoptics-dbal-a2-peq-15-red-laser-pointer.html

Here is the link for optics planet

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/steiner-eoptics-dbal-a2-peq-15-red-laser-pointer.html

View Quote

In that case, I have no clue.  It looks exactly like a D2.  

I'm not even sure why it has the "PEQ-15" nomenclature.  Even though the original full power "DBAL-A2" was adopted by the military as the "PEQ-15A", the pictured model at the link doesn't look anything like the full powered "A2", nor does it have the same type of illuminator.

On top of this, the description at that link says nothing about it being civilian legal that I could find.  It also lists it as being a class IIIb, which is not civvy legal.

It's most likely just a website fluke due to it being a brand new product.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm not even sure why it has the "PEQ-15" nomenclature.  Even though the original full power "DBAL-A2" was adopted by the military as the "PEQ-15A", the pictured model at the link doesn't look anything like the full powered "A2", nor does it have the same type of illuminator.

On top of this, the description at that link says nothing about it being civilian legal that I could find.  It also lists it as being a class IIIb, which is not civvy legal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is exacly what I was thinking last night and is why I passed on it.  Too many questions to spend $1100 on it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#6]
optics planet is notorius for screwing up their listings.

The dbal-a3 looks pretty much like a dbal-a2 just class 1 except for the recessed adjustment knobs http://nightlongind.com/steiner-dbal-a3/

The illuminator is laser based with performance very similar to the ATPIAL-C. But you are gaining quick disconnect, metal housing, and different switchology.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The A3 1/3R is going to be released mid May.
I have 2 on pre-order with TNVC.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is correct and our first look review should be done this week. I've handled a unit for the last few weeks and our own Eric has it now for his review.  Nifty adjustable IR illuminator with hi/lo functions for both the lasers and illuminator, but still at .7mW. Narrowing the illuminator down in diameter does NOT equate to more power. I really like the lo IR pointer feature option which should get the laser down to .3mW or so. The tactical override port and cable is also a nifty feature Eric will talk about as I did not have the LDI cable and their white light to test this functionality.  As for QD function over the APTIAL-C, never remove any of my lasers, nor do many of the folks we know due to zero loss etc., so that never really plays into our reviews as an advantage.

Eric will be posting the first look review in the NV forum next week.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The A3 1/3R is going to be released mid May.
I have 2 on pre-order with TNVC.

That is correct and our first look review should be done this week. I've handled a unit for the last few weeks and our own Eric has it now for his review.  Nifty adjustable IR illuminator with hi/lo functions for both the lasers and illuminator, but still at .7mW. Narrowing the illuminator down in diameter does NOT equate to more power. I really like the lo IR pointer feature option which should get the laser down to .3mW or so. The tactical override port and cable is also a nifty feature Eric will talk about as I did not have the LDI cable and their white light to test this functionality.  As for QD function over the APTIAL-C, never remove any of my lasers, nor do many of the folks we know due to zero loss etc., so that never really plays into our reviews as an advantage.

Eric will be posting the first look review in the NV forum next week.

Vic

Is the updated picture on your site what the unit will look like when released?
I noticed the adjustment for the IR illuminator is capped off.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Love reading these types of reviews. No night vision for me, but I'm hopeful I will be able to get into them soon!

Just curious, if you're clearing a house, why would you ever need to transition to white light and visible laser if you have nvg?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very narrow field of view, lack of peripheral situational awareness
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love reading these types of reviews. No night vision for me, but I'm hopeful I will be able to get into them soon!

Just curious, if you're clearing a house, why would you ever need to transition to white light and visible laser if you have nvg?

Very narrow field of view, lack of peripheral situational awareness

Also the lack of "automatic focus," usually meaning you can't see near obstacles/threats very well due to usually running "infinity" focus.  

For the most part - once you've initiated a breach or call-out with yelling and shooting and door kicking, you've announced yourself to the enemy, so they know you're there - from there you're relying on speed and violence of action to take the day, rather than stealth and cover of darkness.  

One of the biggest, best, and most common uses for NV is stealthy infiltration, meaning that you can get much closer to the enemy before making your presence known, and get inside their OODA loop and conduct actions-on before they can react.  Once the ball's rolling, however, the downsides of modern NV technology become more apparent and detrimental.  In a "team" raid, too - a bunch of IR lasers waving around can get distracting and confusing.  

This all refers to an offensive raid on someone else's "house," of course.  If, by "clearing a house," you're talking more defensive role in your own house - the proverbial "HD/SHTF" application, things could be slightly different.  Offense and Defense, and HD versus Warfighting can be quite different and have much different "rules."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top