Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2015 8:53:19 PM EDT
I am looking for a good AA weaponlight setup for my AR.  I am well aware of how effective cr-123 lights are but I will not use one on my rifle so I need to find a good AA solution. One option is I already have a Fenix E-21 which would be fine if someone has a mount they would recommend that has worked for them. The other option is a new light specifically for the rifle. I am open to all AA options. I am new to this and have never mounted a light to a rifle before so any info is appreciated. I will be mounting to a Knights RAS.  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AA Scout
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I have asked for but to be honest I didn't think even sure fire lights would cost that much. Im going to say my budget is either $140 total or $50 for a mount for my fenix e21.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I will have to look and see what model mine is, but I think I have an E21 here.  The body is smaller than 1" but the head is 1" and will fit into a mount.  I will dig it out of it's hidey hole and see what the body diameter is.  I want to say it is going to be close to that of a Surefire E-series light.  You could probably make a ring work for this by shimming it.  Not ideal but it would work.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am looking for a good AA weaponlight setup for my AR.  I am well aware of how effective cr-123 lights are but I will not use one on my rifle so I need to find a good AA solution. One option is I already have a Fenix E-21 which would be fine if someone has a mount they would recommend that has worked for them. The other option is a new light specifically for the rifle. I am open to all AA options. I am new to this and have never mounted a light to a rifle before so any info is appreciated. I will be mounting to a Knights RAS.  Thanks for the help!
View Quote

May I ask why it is that you will not a CR123 powered light on your rifle?

You may certainly have your reasons, however, you're limiting yourself quite a bit in terms of options by ruling them out, so I'd be genuinely curious to know exactly what constraints require you to rule them out.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You may certainly have your reasons, however, you're limiting yourself quite a bit in terms of options by ruling them out, so I'd be genuinely curious to know exactly what constraints require you to rule them out.  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

This is a fair question and I am aware that it rules out a lot of options. I want to have standardized battery types in all of my devices and due to cost, availability, and my current supply of AA batteries that is my choice. In the unlikely event there is some type of temporary local disaster it is easier being prepared for everything with just AA's so that is my choice. If I wanted to get a cr123 light I would have no trouble finding one. I have had some trouble finding an AA light or AA light mount and was hoping that there would be some options out there other than the above mentioned sure fire for $300.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is a fair question and I am aware that it rules out a lot of options. I want to have standardized battery types in all of my devices and due to cost, availability, and my current supply of AA batteries that is my choice. In the unlikely event there is some type of temporary local disaster it is easier being prepared for everything with just AA's so that is my choice. If I wanted to get a cr123 light I would have no trouble finding one. I have had some trouble finding an AA light or AA light mount and was hoping that there would be some options out there other than the above mentioned sure fire for $300.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

I will say I completely understand your train of thought, but in all honesty, your "issue" is a rather easily solved one.

Shelf life on quality CR123's is pretty long, and $30 could buy most people at minimum a 10 years supply.  You could also setup each rifle with a full "set" of spares (even if you need multiple different types) and store them in a buttstock, pistol grip, VFG, etc.

IMO, focusing more on battery type instead of finding the best weaponlight for your needs (battery type aside) seems a tad shortsighted.

It's obviously still your choice, just thought I'd toss in my $.02.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I will say I completely understand your train of thought, but in all honesty, your "issue" is a rather easily solved one.

Shelf life on quality CR123's is pretty long, and $30 could buy most people at minimum a 10 years supply.  You could also setup each rifle with a full "set" of spares (even if you need multiple different types) and store them in a buttstock, pistol grip, VFG, etc.

IMO, focusing more on battery type instead of finding the best weaponlight for your needs (battery type aside) seems a tad shortsighted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

I disagree. I am selling my firearms in favor of large rocks and clubs. Ammo might one day be hard or expensive to find.

Seriously, this is how I read this thread going.

OP: buy the best wml. It's not AA powered...that does suck. But...buy the best product. Not the one that fits a oddly specific matrix with no relevance to performance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I understand and appreciate this opinion, however I still would like to find AA light options if there are any as this would best suit my needs.  Every other piece of battery powered electronics I would need from a preparedness perspective is AA and this is the last piece of the puzzle. If it turns out that there are no choices out there for me I will deal with that obstacle when I come to it but I would first like to see what options are available.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I understand and appreciate this opinion, however I still would like to find AA light options if there are any as this would best suit my needs.  Every other piece of battery powered electronics I would need from a preparedness perspective is AA and this is the last piece of the puzzle. If it turns out that there are no choices out there for me I will deal with that obstacle when I come to it but I would first like to see what options are available.
View Quote

One of the main issues with AA lights is the lack of output.  Most AA lights will not yield the same output as a comparably sized Cr123A light.  Also, something to seriously consider is cold weather performance.  I see you are in FL so this will probably not be an issue, but in colder climates, AA lights suck bad in the cold.  CR123 lights aren't great but they definitely beat out AA's performance wise.  Also, if you leave certain AA's in a light long term with out checking you can get leaking.  Would suck to have a light and have it poo the bed on you because of a leaky AA.  I have yet to see this with 123 lights.

Frankly, the best solution, IMHO, would be to get a couple of each.  A small pack of SureFire or Panasonic Cr123 batteries isn't terrible cost wise ($15-25 or so, its been a while since I have bought some) and they last forever on the shelf.  Buy a case, stash it away and you will be fine.  Avoid the cheap chinese ones, those are iffy at best.  Have some AA lights for back up or whatever and everything will be fine.  A caveat would be to get a CR123A light that can take a 18650 rechargeable battery.  Good quality Li-Ion batteries will hold a charge for years.  I have a light that I built like 6yrs ago and it still has a charge on it as I never use the thing.  All you need is a charger and a solar panel and maybe 1 or 2 back up batteries and you are GTG.

I know it's not what you want, but there is a reason that you can't find much in the way of a AA weapon light.  Its that, IMHO again, they just aren't something to bet your life on.  I understand continuity in your supply chain and such, but it has it's practical limits to where the opportunity costs out weigh the savings and simplification.  I think you are going to be fairly hard pressed to find a decent weapon light with AA's in it.  If you can find one that is up to the task, great.  But I think its going to be a bit difficult getting what you want/need here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, basically, you want to build a solar powered LeMans car. I get the appeal, I really do, but it's going to suck compared to what Porsche is fielding. In much the same way, you can get a AA WML, for sure! But you're going to pay for it with bulk and about 50% the output of its CR123 brethren. It's really just a totally losing proposition. The only use a AA WML has, IMO, is if you literally cannot source CR123's. Say you live in Alaska somewhere or something and would have to travel hundreds of mines to...but can somehow get this light...I just cannot make a logical AA scenario...

Seriously, spent $50 and buy all the CR123's you will need for the next decade, and buy the CR123 light. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Larue has mounts for your E-21.  They're not cheap but you are getting what you pay for.

http://www.laruetactical.com/lightlaser-mounts?sort=popular

For a dedicated light I use the WL1-AA for both pistols and rifles and I'm pretty happy with the results.  Again, not cheap.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Larue has mounts for your E-21.  They're not cheap but you are getting what you pay for.

For a dedicated light I use the WL1-AA for both pistols and rifles and I'm pretty happy with the results.  Again, not cheap.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. That is helpful. It sure is expensive but may be my only option. I don't mind expensive on something like a scope mount but for a flashlight it seems foolish. It doesn't exactly have to hold a perfect zero after all.

To previous replies I am aware of all the advantages of cr123 lights and that would be easy but that's not what I'm going to do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
While off the shelf options for a AA weapon light are fairly limited, if you aren't opposed to shopping around a bit and screwing some parts together you might be able to come up with something that fits your needs. CR123 batteries are roughly 34.1mm long (plus or minus a tenth,) while AA batteries are about 50.1mm long (again plus or minus a tenth,) so the difference in length between 3 CR123 batteries and pair of AA's is only about 2mm. Thankfully CR123's are actually larger in diameter than AA batteries (by about 2.4mm) so putting AA batteries in a space made for CR123's is possible and the extra space can be easily filled with a rolled up index card or something like the Delrin sleeves offered by Oveready for that exact purpose. Of course there is a huge difference in voltage between 3 CR123's and 2 AA's (9v vs <3v) so it's not as easy as finding a 3xCR123 weapon light and loading in some AA batteries, however there are some 3 cell hosts that can make use of the fantastic Malkoff drop-ins (in your case you would want the 280 lumen M31.)

As for suitable hosts -it all depends on your budget and personal tastes. If you want to stick with Malkoff you can use the MD3 body/tailcap combo with the MD2 head for about $84. You could also go for a bomb proof Elzetta setup with the Charlie body,a bezel and clicky tail cap for $121. If you are both patient and lucky you might be able to find a used Surefire 9P in decent shape over on CPF or in the EE, I believe they go for around $60 on up depending on condition. Or you could go for a Chinese made clone - the only ones I trust are from SolarForce, a forward clicky L2 with the necessary extension is only about $16.

Another bonus to using a 3xCR123 host is that if you decide later on that you want to start using CR123's all you have to do is remove the spacer and change the drop in, the M61 will give you 325 lumens for well over 2 hours, or you can get the M91B which offers 700 lumens for at least an hour.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok I'm gonna be honest that all is way to technical for me and I really wouldn't know where to start but I am interested. The only thing I can think of that is better than an AA light is a light that will take both AA and cr123!  As for the light I would want run time would be more important than max lumens. If I can buy an off the shelf version of what you described that would be glock like reliable please let me know. Otherwise I feel I may not be the one to put such a thing together.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok I'm gonna be honest that all is way to technical for me and I really wouldn't know where to start but I am interested. The only thing I can think of that is better than an AA light is a light that will take both AA and cr123!  As for the light I would want run time would be more important than max lumens. If I can buy an off the shelf version of what you described that would be glock like reliable please let me know. Otherwise I feel I may not be the one to put such a thing together.
View Quote

I don't really know of anything off the shelf that will handle both CR123's and AA's, I think most manufacturers have all but abandoned AA battery lights in favor of the more popular lithium chemistry batteries like the CR123 and 18650 cells which offer at least twice the energy density of the traditional alkaline and even nimh chemistries common with AA's. You could always contact Malkoff Devices directly and let them know what you are looking for, perhaps Gene could put together something similar to what I posted.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't really know of anything off the shelf that will handle both CR123's and AA's, I think most manufacturers have all but abandoned AA battery lights in favor of the more popular lithium chemistry batteries like the CR123 and 18650 cells which offer at least twice the energy density of the traditional alkaline and even nimh chemistries common with AA's. You could always contact Malkoff Devices directly and let them know what you are looking for, perhaps Gene could put together something similar to what I posted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a really good idea. I may do just that. Thanks. And ya I know not a lot of people like AA anymore which is unfortunate. I use mainly lithiums anyway but having the flexibility to use any AA is what I need this time around. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Surefire 9P
Malkoff M31
Oveready delrin 2xAA battery sleeve
Any number of 1" flashlight weapon mounts

edited to add:  basically this with a Malkoff M31 in it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#18]
What you seek is the Insight/EOTech WL-1-AA weapon light.  Two AA batteries. QD Picatinny mount, 150 lumen, with nice even pattern, momentary, constant or strobe capability and tape switch.  Duty grade.  About $300.

I run it on a tactical shotgun.

Here and other vendors.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What you seek is the Insight/EOTech WL-1-AA weapon light.  Two AA batteries. QD Picatinny mount, 150 lumen, with nice even pattern, momentary, constant or strobe capability and tape switch.  Duty grade.  About $300.

I run it on a tactical shotgun.

Here and other vendors.
View Quote

Doesn't look like a bad suggestion. Some retailer, might have even been a sight sponsor, was selling those recently for less than half of that if that light appeals to you, OP.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes this appeals to me very much! And you say for less than half of that price?  Where would I find it for that kind of money?  Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top