Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2015 6:29:57 PM EDT
I have been carrying a Surefire E2D(old bulb style) for years. I'm wanting to get something new. I've seen the Surefire E2D Defender Ultra (500 lumens) and the Streamlight Protac HL3(1,100 lumens), and a Fenix PD35(960 lumens). They are all very different prices so help me if you know anything. Also if you have anything else that you use/like better.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?

Am I in the wrong forum?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You could always just get one of the malkoff heads for the E series/scout and trim the barbs of the tail switch.
A rechargeable 16650 will last for over a hour before it starts dimming if you get single mode.
3 mode would have plenty of light for hours.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Zebralight H32

I have used the H32 predecessor (H31) for many years. Tiny, light weight, head light adaptable with supplied band, pocket clip, superior construction and economical to obtain and operate.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I love these:  http://www.hdssystems.com/
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zebralight H32

I have used the H32 predecessor (H31) for many years. Tiny, light weight, head light adaptable with supplied band, pocket clip, superior construction and economical to obtain and operate.
View Quote

This. I'm rocking an H52fw. Love it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Elzetta bravo
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm one of those contrarians who thinks that enough brightness is good, but more is not necessarily better.  1,100 lumen does not impress me, especially if it means short run-times.  Don't get me wrong, I have a couple of >3,000 lumen flashlights, but they aren't EDC lights.

I've been using the same 4Sevens Quark 123 for over five years, and its 125 lumens is plenty bright, with a really nice beam pattern.  It has a simple end-cap switch (click on,tap to strobe/click off) and switching to low power mode is as easy as backing the bezel off a bit.

And it doesn't try to fry my hand after being on for 30 seconds...

It lacks a tactical end-cap, and has no crenellations (which got my Surefire E2 confiscated by the TSA goons

It's 3 1/2" long, and runs for a long time on two CR123's.

I have a dozen EDC lights scattered about, and I always come back to this one.

There are lots of good lights out there to choose from.  I'm just kind of done with searching for the perfect one...

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Malkoff's  has a EDC.  Pocket clip, made in USA, guaranteed for ever.  All potted high quality gear.  You can also call the shop and the owner, Gene, will talk to you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on what you want. Hard to beat the quality and reliability of a surefire. I love the TIR lens, excellent throw and tight beam which spoils me.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Four Sevens Preon P1
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the Surefire EB1 or EB2 Tactical

Or, find a LX2 Lumamax.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:47:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Get the Surefire EB1 or EB2 Tactical

Or, find a LX2 Lumamax.
View Quote
You will not regret the Eb2 Tactical

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:28:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Been pretty happy with my Fenix PD35. To be fair, my experience with decent lights is fairly limited.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:42:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Something with those output levels is just stupid as an edc light. You will be blinding yourself off walls and spending half your paycheck on cr123s. Something with a few modes that maxes is the 200 range is more than enough.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Something with those output levels is just stupid as an edc light. You will be blinding yourself off walls and spending half your paycheck on cr123s. Something with a few modes that maxes is the 200 range is more than enough.
View Quote

Been buying inexpensive lights that run on AA's for EDC lights. I had a feniex e12 and a coast HP1. I liked the coast but gave it to my dad as he was after me about getting him a Feniex light. The HP1 is an outstanding light for under 10 bucks and it runs on AA's

I run a Nitecore mh25 with rechargeable 18650's for work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#16]
For my AR, after doing quite a bit of research the past few days I went with the Elzetta Bravo B333. It looks like it will meet my needs for both indoor and outdoor use plus I like the fact that it is modular and I can just purchase another "head" unit if I want to get a flood lens and it is US manufactured.

For my home defense pistol, I went with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which recommended light(s) are you referring to?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top