Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2015 12:03:05 AM EDT
My knowledge of lights ends at being able to change batteries and operate them. However, I know I need a light on my HD rifle but my budget won't allow for a 300 scout.

I have been trying to decide on playing Lego with Arisaka Defense's scout body and a Malkof Device lamp (I'm assuming I buy these two things and a tailcap to assemble into a light) or just buying a single cell Elzetta light.

Any pros or cons to either of these lights? I was leaning towards these as they would be small and not add a bunch of weight to my rifle but I'm open to alternatives in the similar price range.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
What about a VTAC light mount and a Streamlight Poly Tac?

Even if you don't have hand-guards that are rails you could add a rail section and use a 1" ring for the same light.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#2]
You said you don't have the $300 for a Scout.  What is your budget?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Trying to stay around $150
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Low mount weaver scope ring and surefire g2 or streamlight polytac. If you don't have a rail on your forearm mount a small section where it feels comfortable and you should be in business for around $50-$75 depending on which light you get

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
What forearm are you using op, you could check out IWC they have a lot of options for about any forearm you have and would give a better cleaner end product
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Rifle is a BCM 11.5 upper SBR, currently it has the standard FSB with a two piece MI FF quad rail. Attachment point isn't an issue I just don't want a light to throw off the balance.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Arson Machine, IWC or Arisaka for modular mounts (keymod, m-lok, ect), Gearsector makes some pretty sweet picatinny mounts.  For lights, best bang for the buck is the SureFire G2X tactical IMO.  G2X and one of the aforementioned mounts and out the door with shipping should be under $100.  Then you'd have a solid set up that should last.  By the time you get done piecing together an Arisaka Scout light, you will probably be well over $150 and still be in need of a mount for it.  They do have a cool factor about them though.  If you have a Quad rail, look at the Inforce WML or the WMLx.  It would bypass the need to get a mount and when mounted on the side, they work pretty darn well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I just put together a light- Arisaka Keymod mount, Arisiaka body, Malkoff head, Z68 tailcap. I really like it. I'd consider just buying a part at a time to make it fit your budget.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Streamlight TLR-1. They offer a couple different models of light ouput, have an integrated picatinny mount to avoid multiple peices, and are within your budget. Great bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Streamlight TLR-1. They offer a couple different models of light ouput, have an integrated picatinny mount to avoid multiple peices, and are within your budget. Great bang for the buck.
View Quote

This^^^ the kit that comes with the TLR (if you buy it as a kit) has what you need to use a tape switch and mount it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  This.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#12]
All above mentioned options are good. Id search and search hard for a used Surefire m951 w/pressure switch. Then get on ebay and buy the LED conversion bulb for $12. I've bought used m951's before for 75-80. They're plentiful in the used marked and everyone wants newer led and ir capable lights, so they get off loaded often. They come with an arms throw lever mount too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't run anything less than elzetta on a serious use rifle.  I have their 3 cell version with malkoff m60 LED with a tape switch in their zfh 1500 FSB mount. All of amazon for less than 140$ shipped. (msrp on their lights is a lot more but you can usually find them on amazon in the 120-140 range, i got mine at 108$ and missed one at 80$)
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Inforce WML or WMLx. I have been extremely pleased with my mine.. they are really great lights. Very lightweight, integrated mount, easy to manipulate, well thought out overall.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Inforce WML or WMLx. I have been extremely pleased with my mine.. they are really great lights. Very lightweight, integrated mount, easy to manipulate, well thought out overall.
View Quote

This, w/TLR-1 in second place.
Tomac
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top