Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/19/2015 2:28:02 AM EDT
Been wanting a surefire well I found a 951 for $70 bucks with pressure switch. Im going to buy an LED upgrade what I want is the most effective, durable, longest lasting output at 300+ lumens with just a simple on and off. Also I would like an easy install i dont mind modifying a bit if I have to but I would like to keep it simple. The surefire replacements look over priced. I am looking at the malkoff m61 325 lumen but would like to have a higher output if possible trying to spend roughly as much as the malkoff unit maybe a little more. Are there any better options?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Given your criteria for durable and long lasting I would hesitate to call any of the other available options truly better as they all have their trade-offs. Yes, you can go brighter with something like an XM-L2 drop-in from CustomLites but the run time will probably be about a half to a third of the Malkoff's. You can however pick up a Surefire A21 adapter which will extend the light allowing for a third CR123 which would let you put in a Malkoff M91, or it could also let you run the M61 for a good deal longer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given your criteria for durable and long lasting I would hesitate to call any of the other available options truly better as they all have their trade-offs. Yes, you can go brighter with something like an XM-L2 drop-in from CustomLites but the run time will probably be about a half to a third of the Malkoff's. You can however pick up a Surefire A21 adapter which will extend the light allowing for a third CR123 which would let you put in a Malkoff M91, or it could also let you run the M61 for a good deal longer.
View Quote

This is kind of what I expected to hear I think I'll just get the m61 kit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Also will the $1 fitting ring help with the fit of the bulb in this particular surefire?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also will the $1 fitting ring help with the fit of the bulb in this particular surefire?
View Quote

Just today I installed a Malkoff M61 I ordered from brightflashlights.com   I called them on the phone and they pre fit it to drop right in my M951.  I think it was like 42$ with shipping included, but I did also order some other stuff.

It is plenty bright and it did indeed drop right in.  Nice, crisp white with really good throw.  It's a solid 300+ lumens, I personally think it's more than adequate for a weaponlight.   And it was at my door in 48 hours.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just today I installed a Malkoff M61 I ordered from brightflashlights.com   I called them on the phone and they pre fit it to drop right in my M951.  I think it was like 42$ with shipping included, but I did also order some other stuff.

It is plenty bright and it did indeed drop right in.  Nice, crisp white with really good throw.  It's a solid 300+ lumens, I personally think it's more than adequate for a weaponlight.   And it was at my door in 48 hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just ordered it direct from the malkoff website for $48 shipped I'll probably have it Monday or Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure I'll get a lot of disaagreements and normally I never ever would have bought one of these especially since I'm a surefire nut. I have built Prolly 25 m951s and always used surefire products but this timeitried something else. It's from eBay and made in China. It's a copy of a regular m951s bezel and comes with a Cree led that they say is 1000 lumens butitnever ever is but its definitely over 300 and is very bright. So far its been great. I paid $18. If interested go to eBay and in search type surefire head and you'll find them
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm sure I'll get a lot of disaagreements and normally I never ever would have bought one of these especially since I'm a surefire nut. I have built Prolly 25 m951s and always used surefire products but this timeitried something else. It's from eBay and made in China. It's a copy of a regular m951s bezel and comes with a Cree led that they say is 1000 lumens butitnever ever is but its definitely over 300 and is very bright. So far its been great. I paid $18. If interested go to eBay and in search type surefire head and you'll find them
View Quote

I think I saw that thing on Amazon. I didn't trust the China aspect of it and went with the malkoff kit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think I saw that thing on Amazon. I didn't trust the China aspect of it and went with the malkoff kit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a whim I ordered one of the china made LEDs for mine.  It was $9 from amazon, and took a month to get here.  I replaced the spring that came with it with a spring off the standard bulb, it is amazing how bright it is.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top