Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2015 6:38:39 PM EDT
Hello,

I am considering getting a Surefire G2X Tactical light for both a belt and weapon mounted light.  
Does anyone have an experience with using this light for these purposes?  Is there better options for the same cost?
If this is a good option what sort of simple light mount is a good solution?  I am currently using a Magpul MOE hand guard set with a AFG on my M4.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my G2X.  Good amount of light, great price and fairly robust.  I would have no qualms running it on the belt and on the gun.  Bang for the buck, its about the best thing going IMO.  It's not as bright as some of the 500+ lumen jobbers out there, but it provides a nice balance of effectiveness, cost and brightness.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:41:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used the following for patrol: G2x Tactical, G2x Pro, and Streamlight Pro Tac HL. Started with the Tactical. It is a great light, but it kind of sucks only having the full power mode. You easily blind yourself when using it for simple tasks (reading, looking for something in the patrol car, etc). It then got moved to my patrol rifle in an IWC mount... perfect light for that role.

Then went to the Pro. It has the same max output but also has the usable low light setting. The only problem with that is you have to hit the button twice to hit the high setting. Not great for a patrol light IMO. High stress situation at night I don't want to have to cycle to a high power setting. This is now my backup light and stays in my patrol bag.

Finally tried the Pro Tac HL and have been extremely happy. Everyone on my shift has since bought one to compliment the TLR-1 HL's we are issued for our handguns. It is very bright (600 lumens?) on the first press, second tap is strobe which I have found very useful for directing traffic/ crash scenes, and the last setting is low which is also very useful. I haven't really played with the programmable settings but I know you can remove the last two options and have just max power. I carry this light on my duty belt in one of the molded plastic surefire holsters.

I believe all three cost about the same, $70. If you don't mind only having one light output then the G2x will definitely stand up to patrol both on your belt and on your gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm also planning on buying the g2x pro and was wondering what was a decent light mount for it
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much for posting your responses.  I think I will go with the G2X Tactical..........just for the weapon light mostly.
Now, to decide on a decent mount.

Has anyone used the magpul mount?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have tried the magpul light mount but if you are running the MOE handgaurd I would recommend the Impact Weapons Components light mount (SMC maybe). It costs more but mounts directly to the handgaurd and is much better IMO.

The Magpul one works fine though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the G2X Pro in a Magpul light mount on all of my go to rifles. One of the best all around lights for weapon mounted or everyday use IMO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my G2X.  Good amount of light, great price and fairly robust.  I would have no qualms running it on the belt and on the gun.  Bang for the buck, its about the best thing going IMO.  It's not as bright as some of the 500+ lumen jobbers out there, but it provides a nice balance of effectiveness, cost and brightness.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself. I run a G2X in an offset gear sector mount on my sbr. Now that I have the X300 ultra on my G17 and a Fury in my kit I would like to see more lumens but that's my own weirdness .
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a very good light for the price, I run mine in a GG&G light mount on my colt and have no problems with it. I've never had anything more than a maglite and first time I used mine it was pretty much the coolest thing ever, it can light up the barn 75 yards behind my house easily. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#9]
A big Thank You to everyone that took the time to post some answers for me.  All of your advice helps a great deal and I have decided to get a Surefire G2x Tactical.  
I don't think I have decided on a particular mount yet...............though I will prob try to find a decent used one if I can.

Does anyone use a tape switch with the Surefire G2?  If so what brands work the best and is there a particular tape switch mount?

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a 6PX Pro, which is the metal version with 2-setting clicky. It's in a cheapo $5 rail mount from Amazon, to be replaced soon with a magpul.
I'd stick with the clicky tailcap. The tape-switches aren't nearly as versatile. The clicky can do constant low or high with a click, or momentary low or high with pressure. The right angled mount makes it very easy to reach without changing your usual grip.

ETA: This is the mount I use: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Offset-Mount-Flashlight-Laser/dp/B007JPJKUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426254637&sr=8-1&keywords=light+mount

It is surprisingly nice, and has stood up well. It needs to be loc-tite'd on the nut or it will get loose under recoil.

Some picks of my current setup:

My old setup with a quad-rail had it in the same position with an AFG and it worked very well.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
@ Cfletch - Thanks for the response and that does look like a very nice light mount for the price!  However, I was sort of looking for a light mount that would attach directly to the Magpul MOE handguards.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay,

After some suggestions............
I have purchased a Surefire G2X Tactical light and I also just ordered the "MOE light mount" from Arson Machine Company.

This is the mount.
https://www.arsonmachine.com/product/moe-light-mount/

I did not like that fact of having to mount a small section of rail and then the mount for the Magpul light mount.  It seems like it was too high and too far out on the hand guard.
Plus the Arson Machine Company mount seems like a very well made part and was very simple and streamlined.  

I will post somewhat of a review with pictures once it arrives.  

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given!
Spence!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top