Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 2:22:01 PM EDT
Hi Folks - I need some help!

My son is a Deputy in Northern California. He needs a light/laser for his AR (Windham). He has a vertical grip on the front. Would like to get a good quality light that activates from a switch on the front grip.

I'd sure like to stay at $200 or below ???????? Is that possible? I don't want to get him crap and I don't want to pay $500. Worst case we could drop the laser flashlight combination idea and just go with the flashlight.  

Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Terry Brown, Retired LEO
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

My son is a Deputy in Northern California. He needs a light/laser for his AR (Windham). He has a vertical grip on the front. Would like to get a good quality light that activates from a switch on the front grip.

I'd sure like to stay at $200 or below ???????? Is that possible? I don't want to get him crap and I don't want to pay $500. Worst case we could drop the laser flashlight combination idea and just go with the flashlight.  

Terry Brown, Retired LEO
View Quote

Here is everything you need. Slightly above your $200 budget but good kit.  You can buy the whole kit together without the laser for $193...link is shown on one of those pages as a suggested purchase.

TLR-2 HL

Pressure Switch

Remote door assembly
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here is everything you need. Slightly above your $200 budget but good kit.  You can buy the whole kit together without the laser for $193...link is shown on one of those pages as a suggested purchase.

TLR-2 HL

Pressure Switch

Remote door assembly
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Terry Brown, Retired LEO

TLR-2 HL

Pressure Switch

Remote door assembly

Personally, I'd advise you to stay away from a visible laser.  They are next to useless in the daylight and wash out pretty badly when used in conjunction with a flashlight, especially the red versions.

I'd stick with a good weaponlight and get him to figure out a way to mount it that doesn't use a pressure pad.  This is a pretty subjective opinion, but I've had more than enough pressure pads fail on me that I wouldn't consider them for serious work (all from quality manufacturers).

A Streamlight TLR-1HL on the low end (around $110) or something like a Surefire X300U on the high end (around $200 if you shop around) should serve him well.  Notable mention goes out to the Surefire Scout but they typically run around $300 so that's outside your cost parameters.

Does your son also have an optic on his patrol rifle?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! Yes it is an EOtech 512 (I believe) - Terry
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Skip the laser.
https://dsgarms.com/stl69262

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard multiple sources say laser actually slows you down.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Guys!! Great ideas. At least have a direction to go now - Terry
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Another setup to consider is a Single output Surefire P2X fury with a VTAC light mount. This would work well with a vertical grip whether your son grips it or just uses it as a handstop, it would be a versatile set up with excellent light output.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks! Checking it out - Terry
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
ELZETTA is hands down the very best light that I have ever used. If I was still out on patrol it would be on my rifle. They may have a LEO discount as well. They are a forum sponsor here as well, so get in touch with them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:54:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Terry Brown, Retired LEO
View Quote

I found a fenix tk15 for 100 dollars in amazon with a pressure switch picatinny mount and 2 batteries and a charger
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top