Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2015 1:18:34 AM EDT
I have the opportunity to purchase an AN/PEQ-2A. It's brand new with tape switch, mount, etc. The guy is asking $1000 for this unit.

Is this a good price? It's hard to tell because they are not usually available.

Anything I need to watch out for? I do know that there are newer versions of IR illuminators/designators, but they're usually about 2x the price of what I can get the PEQ-2A for.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's legit, I would say it's about average. I paid $1100 for one that was brand-new and sealed about a year or so ago.

The way I look at it is that it's a full-power 3b laser and illuminator that is less expensive than most of the newer class 1 ("civilian-legal") stuff that's on the market. Sure, it doesn't have a visible laser and it's a good bit larger, but it will outperform in the IR spectrum the DBAL-I2 and Insight ATPIAL-C. In my opinion, it's probably the best value for a military-grade weapon-mounted IR laser/illuminator on the market.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
::shrug::

Sounds a little high, though it is new, I suppose.  

I love the AN/PEQ-2A, but if I'm paying that much, I'd rather go with a warrantied ATPIAL-C.  A year and a half ago, the laser based illuminator Class I units were not available, making brand new "premium worthy," since no laser would be warrantied, serviced, or supported by the manufacturer.  

I've seen what look like very good condition PEQ-2s go on eBay for around $500-$700.  

I'd offer $700, and not pay more than $800 since it's brand new.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you have a legitimate specific need for the full power restricted unit, I would avoid it all together at anywhere near that price.

If it dies on you, for whatever reason, you're essentially fucked out of $1,000, unless you have a connection that can warranty it for you (does Insight even provide warranty work on the PEQ-2/2A any more?).

Whatever the case may be, outside of really having a need for the restricted unit's power, I would save a couple hundred more and get an ATPIAL-C or DBAL-A3.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It did seem high to me, as I knew the ATPIAL-C units were available for a couple hundred more.

Also, the guy says that these were not stolen, but the unit these were issued to was disbanded so the items are now off the books. Sounds really fishy to me. I can't imagine that the government would just turn the other cheek on restricted items and give them out to individuals to sell on the open market.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It did seem high to me, as I knew the ATPIAL-C units were available for a couple hundred more.

Also, the guy says that these were not stolen, but the unit these were issued to was disbanded so the items are now off the books. Sounds really fishy to me. I can't imagine that the government would just turn the other cheek on restricted items and give them out to individuals to sell on the open market.
View Quote

Sounds suspicious as fuck to me.  If it was ever on government property books, I have a hard time believing that the "unit these were issued to" was disbanded and all of the property on their books got "disbanded" along with them.  Makes no sense to me.  I'd steer clear.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol.....its stolen. Avoid!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm out. Looking at an ATPIAL-C. Thanks for everyone's input.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If you don't mind going without a visible laser, look at the DBAL-I2 Single Spectrum. This version of the DBAL was designed to compete functionally as an updated AN/PEQ-2A. They're listed for $780 and have the IR laser and IR illuminator and the same functionality (albeit, not the same power levels) as the AN/PEQ-2A.

ETA:
DBAL-I2 Single Spectrum
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it just belonged to the A-Team.

Legit.  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top