Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 9:26:35 PM EDT
So i stopped in the local Cabelas earlier today. I decided to see what lights they had for my M400. The Streamlight lights caught my eye. I was drawn to them because of their minimalistic feel. I like the idea of having a compact mount/light combo.  I believe they were the TL or HL models.

I know many people recommend getting mounts that move the light closer to the muzzle.  I would like to move the light forward but want a sleek and compact setup.  I also have a short quad rail.

i was wondering if anyone has any insight or light recommendations similar to the ones I found. I'm also looking for good value. I don't need to spend Eotech money on a light.  I'm up for suggestions and learning from others experience.  Hopefully I properly described what I'm looking for.

Thanks all
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Love my Surefire Mini Scout on a Thorntail mount, which moves it at an angle and forward, giving a very compact profile.

This is probably the best pic I have that shows the light.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, judging by your description, it sounds like you want a pistol light.

Why not just get one of the Streamlights you looked at?  They are quality stuff at a great price.

It's also not completely necessary to mount a light directly at the muzzle.  What length is your barrel and how long is your rail?  You have a picture of the rifle?  That'd help a lot with advising you on some mounting solutions.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I put a Streamlight TRL-1s on my AR and love it, IIRC it is on the end at the 12 o clock of a 13'' TRX handguard with the Magpul MBUS behind it. Works very well, I find it much easier to actuate and lighter than what I had before which was a Surefire G2 with a SR07 tape switch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got at TLR-1 on one of my rifles and it's been working great for the last 8 or 9 months. It feels a little bit more frail compared to my Surefire X300 but it was also half the price. That being said it's been banged around on coyote hunts and dropped a few times and it still works flawlessly.

Mines mounted on the front of a 13' rail and it doesn't make the gun feel front heavy at all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Fury on a Thorntail mount since you have a short quad.

That said, not a damn thing wrong with the TLR, I have them for pistols.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Surefire x300u at 12 o'clock, best way to put a light on an ar. Just my useless opinion.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So i stopped in the local Cabelas earlier today. I decided to see what lights they had for my M400. The Streamlight lights caught my eye. I was drawn to them because of their minimalistic feel. I like the idea of having a compact mount/light combo.  I believe they were the TL or HL models.

I know many people recommend getting mounts that move the light closer to the muzzle.  I would like to move the light forward but want a sleek and compact setup.  I also have a short quad rail.

i was wondering if anyone has any insight or light recommendations similar to the ones I found. I'm also looking for good value. I don't need to spend Eotech money on a light.  I'm up for suggestions and learning from others experience.  Hopefully I properly described what I'm looking for.

Thanks all
View Quote

How long is your rail and how long is your barrel?  And do you have a fixed front sght?

Those lights are GTG but depending on your gun there might be better options to get the light closer to the muzzle for less shadow, and at the same time interfere minimally with your grip and be easy to activate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Surefire x300u at 12 o'clock, best way to put a light on an ar. Just my useless opinion.
View Quote
I've got my X300 mounted at the very end of a 13" rail (16" barrel) at the 10:30 position.  I can bump the switch perfectly with my thumb for a momentary blast of light, or easily flick the switch for a continuous beam.  I love how light and compact this light is.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks all
View Quote

I just replaced my Insight M6X at Christmas with a Streamlight 69260 TLR-1 HL (High Lumen) Light ( ~ $ 122) on the rifle I carry during my nightly outing with the dogs.

The M6X is a good light (160 lumens) but the last time I was shooting a varmint at night I was having to play too much "hide and seek" as it moved to low illumination spots trying to get back into the tree line.

The TLR-1 HL is mounted n my 6 o'clock rail and puts out 630 lumens so the next varmint will have to play on my terms.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for SL (I use the TLR-1 and ) and Surefire.  I've seen a lot of guys running the WML inforce light as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got my X300 mounted at the very end of a 13" rail (16" barrel) at the 10:30 position.  I can bump the switch perfectly with my thumb for a momentary blast of light, or easily flick the switch for a continuous beam.  I love how light and compact this light is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just bought a TLR-1 HL for my rifle. 15" Troy alpha rail on my 6920, which is listed by colt as a 16.1 inch barrel. I played around with my tlr-1 that i use on my pistol, i like it at the 12 o'clock position also.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top