Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2015 10:06:17 PM EDT
I was going one direction with my weaponlight on a Centurion Arms CMR 9.5" handguard with CMR Scout Mount, but there are clearance issues with my original mounting plan.

So since I am going to use the standard CMR rail mount, I have 2 options that are close to the same price range.  The Surefire X300U or the SF M300B.  A pressure switch will be added so the cost of the pressure switch is also being considered.

X300U = 500 lumens with 1.8 hr run time.  2x CR123.  Pressure switch costs ~$180.
M300B = 200 Lumens with 1.3 run time.  1x CR123.  Pressure switch costs ~$100.

Both lights cost about $200-250 used/new.

It is being mounted on a 10.5" SBR. So the rifle was put together for close range stuff, but I wouldn't mind if it was able to reach out further with the light.

One concern is that the 500 lumens is too bright for indoor work.  Another question would be which has better spill to illuminate a room?  Any recommendations or reasons why you would choose one vs. the other?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
X300 is going to produce better spill and IMO not too bright for indoor work.

That being said I run M300s on my SBR CMRs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I might just see what pops up on the EE and go with whatever deal I see first as they both seem like good options.  The X300 is actually lighter than the M300B, which makes it look more attractive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've personally broken an X300 mounted at 12 o'clock from a relatively light knock. I use them on pistols only now.

Shine an X300U against a light colored wall in the dark at close range sometime, it's a little much for me. YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've personally broken an X300 mounted at 12 o'clock from a relatively light knock. I use them on pistols only now.

Shine an X300U against a light colored wall in the dark at close range sometime, it's a little much for me. YMMV of course.
View Quote

That was one concern, was the reflection of the light on light walls.  I think I am leaning towards the M300B since it already comes with a pressure switch until I can pick up the SR07 switch.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
If you intend to use a pressure switch, then the m300 is the way to go. As a long time Surefire fanboy, I have to say the pressure switch tailcap is one of the worse designs I've ever seen on a light of decent quality. I broke mine twice, doing relatively low intensity stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you intend to use a pressure switch, then the m300 is the way to go. As a long time Surefire fanboy, I have to say the pressure switch tailcap is one of the worse designs I've ever seen on a light of decent quality. I broke mine twice, doing relatively low intensity stuff.
View Quote

Is that with the ST07 or SR07 pressure switch?  Or both?

I ended up buying the M300B last night.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The X300U will have more spill and is not too bright for indoors, but I would not recommend it for a rifle unless it's mounted on the top rail and protected from impact by a fixed front sight behind it.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top