Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2014 11:49:09 PM EDT
Subject pretty much says it.  My former EDC flashlight used two CR123 and was a Gander Mountain brand.  It was a decent flashlight but a little big.  Flushing my brakes lines after replacing the rear calipers a few weeks ago it fell down along the radiator of my Honda Element and into the front bumper cover.  I couldn't find it and gave up after a half hour looking and feeling for it.  After 170,000 miles on a 8 year old car it ain't worth the effort to try to remove the bumper cover for that cheap light.  Most of the screws are rusted up pretty bad from Ohio road salt.  At this point it's either really wedged in there good or out on the road somewhere.

So I always have a few AA batteries around, the house, the car, my laptop bag, my EDC pack etc, I want a flashlight that use them.  One other factor I want is a perfectly cylindrical body if possible.  I have found that a cylindrical bodied flashlight with no bell/flare for the lens and no permanently attached clip carries a lot more comfortable in my front pocket.  I am carrying and old INOVA X1 (http://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-X1-LED-Flashlight.asp) at the moment and this is pretty close to the perfect form factor.  Was hoping there was some thing a bit brighter in the same size.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm using a jetbeam PA10. Doesn't meet some of your requirements but I find it plenty bright. I use an energizer AA lithium in it
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like my black hawk l2a2. I also just got a l2a1 which gives you the option of 25%, 50%, 100% and 100% strobe. Run time on low at 5 lumen says 46hrs. I got one for my "in case I'm buried under 7ft of snow and can't get home can".
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Streamlight Protac 1AA
My only complaint is that the pocket clip is a clip-on, so it can come off.  I put a couple layers of electrical tape around it to hold it in place; it looks a little ghetto, but it works.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Streamlight Protac 1AA
My only complaint is that the pocket clip is a clip-on, so it can come off.  I put a couple layers of electrical tape around it to hold it in place; it looks a little ghetto, but it works.
View Quote

I carry this everyday and I am pretty happy with it. I don't actually use the pocket clip but I did leave it on so it won't roll off my night stand. Before I had this one I had the protec that took a single cr123 and it was also a pretty nice light. I lost it at work and decided to try the single AA version because it had a longer run time and batteries are cheaper and easier to find.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
What about this:

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-t10-new/

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You said the best.

Malkoff MDC
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Fenix LD15

AA, no clip, plenty bright, smallest AA light I know of.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm using a jetbeam PA10. Doesn't meet some of your requirements but I find it plenty bright. I use an energizer AA lithium in it
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys but I found my old Gander Mountain one that I lost in between the radiator and bumper cover of my Honda Element.  I tried a different route into the bumper and managed to find it still rattling around up there.  Over a month in Ohio winter weather and the light was just fine.  Guess I will continue to carry it until it finally dies or I truly loose it.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

^^ +1 ^^
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Fenix e12
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems like you solved your problem, but if you like your current Gander light, they make a GSX single AA that puts out 125 lumens.  They have them on sale for 20 bucks pretty often.   I've picked up a few over the years and never had one break, never measured runtime but subjectively seems pretty good compared to Surefire and Streamlight LED's I own.  Simple one mode clicky tail cap and spot to flood beam.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Fenix LD-12
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I got this as a stocking stuffer, and I have to admit, it works great!

http://www.sbflashlights.com/L3-Illumination-L10C-Cree-XPG2-p372.html
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yup
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Great minds think alike... it's what's in my pocket... has been for about 2 years
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an older Quark AA from Four Sevens.  It's an okay light overall.  I also have a Fenix LD10 that proved to be less reliable then I'd like over time.

I currently EDC a Eagletac D25a Clicky.  It's extremely small and very bright.  The current version uses the XM-L2 U2 emitter.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Been carrying an Inova X1 55/6 dual mode since about 2011.Has very good throw and decent spill for such a small light.Plius its about as tough as a railroad spike.Fits in the side loop of the Leatherman ST300 sheath or in the watch pocket of jeans.Hard to beat for the money IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have an older Quark AA from Four Sevens.  It's an okay light overall.  I also have a Fenix LD10 that proved to be less reliable then I'd like over time.

I currently EDC a Eagletac D25a Clicky.  It's extremely small and very bright.  The current version uses the XM-L2 U2 emitter.

http://s25.postimg.org/yy53g0i2n/image.jpg
View Quote

Oh I like that. I have the D25A2 Clicky but I think I need one of these smaller ones too! :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Zebralight SC52
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top