Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2014 12:23:47 AM EDT
I am considering this light for AR, however I want the high lumen one but im unsure if the extra lumens are a good substitute for the strobe function.....

any thoughts on having the extra light and no strobe? or less lumens and strobe?

thanks,
wissota4
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#1]
After doing a quick search it appears that amazon sells a TLR-1S HP that has both the large lens and strobe function. I do not have any experience with the HP model but do have a TLR-1 HL on my duty weapon. I believe it is in the 600 lumen range and has a strobe function. Half of my shift has switched to the HL model as we were issued standard TLR-1's and there really is no comparison between the two.

Not sure if that helps you at all.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The lower lumen one has the strobe. However the high lumen (700+) does not.
The debate is between these...
http://www.streamlight.com/en-gb/product/product.html?pid=313
And
http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=252
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:45:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The first thing I do with a strobe light is disable strobe.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the TLR1s specifically for the strobe function. It definitely fills that role.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Then I would say it is going to depend on your needs. I have a strobe function on both my primary sidearm at work (TLR-1 HL) and a Streamlight Pro Tac HL. I never use the strobe function on my firearm. Tried clearing a house with it once, 600 flashing lumens is pretty disorienting to everyone in the room/ area including me. I personally do not see a use for it. The brightness of the light itself is disorienting to a degree and serves my purpose.

With that said I use the strobe mode on my hand held often as it works great for getting driver's attention (traffic stops or directing traffic) or signaling people.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
In a high stress situation I really don't think a person would even think about using a strobe function on a weapon light let alone be able to activate it. When it comes to a light I like to keep it simple. On or off!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#7]
My input: I got a TLR 1S, before that my only expieriance with weapons lights was the Insight M3 and flashlights mounted in a scope ring on long guns.
The strobe is hard to activate. You have to momentarily flip it on, then flip it again within a mili-second or something. I need both hands to even do it. The TLR 1S is plenty bright for indoors or backyard type stuff. I personally can see 100 yards with mine, I'd want to be looking through a scope to identify game at that distance anyways.
Bottum line: TLR 1S is good enough, but if you feel you need more lumens get the bigger light. I know once you see a brighter light it's hard to use a lesser light again. I'
ve heard that to much light is blinding to the operator indoors?
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top