Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:46:38 PM EDT
I have a couple of Surefire 6P LEDs on my AKs and would like to upgrade the LEDs to something a little brighter with dual output. Ideally I'd like essentially a 6PX Pro with reversed outputs:
~300 lumen high, ~10-25 lumen low with the high output first. Does anyone make a drop-in that will handle AK recoil that's cost effective?

Thanks for the input

ETA: changed terminology from head to drop-in
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Why the low output?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Because you don't always need 300 lumens to blind everything. If I only need a little light for navigation I'd rather have 50 hours at 15 lumens than be forced to burn through batteries every 90 minutes.

That's also why I prefer the original Inforce WML's because they have a low mode.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Customlites, or malkoff might have what you want. I don't know about a head, but they both offer fully potted p60 modules
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I screwed up my terminology, a drop-in is fine with me, keeping the stock 6P head.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Customlites have a lot of options, via the drop down menus. You can pick your modes, type of reflector, and the tint of your beam. Their drop ins also ship with copper tape for heat sinking.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a couple of Surefire 6P LEDs on my AKs and would like to upgrade the LEDs to something a little brighter with dual output. Ideally I'd like essentially a 6PX Pro with reversed outputs:
~300 lumen high, ~10-25 lumen low with the high output first. Does anyone make a drop-in that will handle AK recoil that's cost effective?

Thanks for the input

ETA: changed terminology from head to drop-in
View Quote

I've tried a couple multimode drop-ins and they change mode intermittently when the rifle is fired.

You would be better off putting a light on each side of the gun.  PL1-S mounts would work.
Buy a Solarforce L2m and remove extension for second 123 cell.  Use a Surefire burned out incan  bulb to mount a 5w red led, the little bulb looking ones from Radio Shack.
Once mounted to the burned out incan bulb it can be used with used up 123 primaries to put out 10-20 lumens of dim red light for night navigation..
Will suck all the power from a 123 cell that is no longer usable for anything else.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Handheld lights are for navigation and weaponlights are for shooting. Weaponlights should never be multimode for reasons previously mentioned but also when you have a low light you mentioned navigation... Navigating with a weaponlight is never a good idea. It encourages muzzling of things that don't need to be shot at. Just stick with a single mode light for your rifle/shotgun and if you need to "navigate" use a handheld light or a headlamp.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handheld lights are for navigation and weaponlights are for shooting. Weaponlights should never be multimode for reasons previously mentioned but also when you have a low light you mentioned navigation... Navigating with a weaponlight is never a good idea. It encourages muzzling of things that don't need to be shot at. Just stick with a single mode light for your rifle/shotgun and if you need to "navigate" use a handheld light or a headlamp.
View Quote

I appreciate your opinion but that's not what I'm looking for. I want the option of a low mode on my weapon light if it's reliable. If that's the only light I have available I can always unmount it from the weapon if I need it for another purpose and re-mount as necessary.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:44:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly, I've tried multi mode bulbs in my G2, 6P and my 951. Everything from recoil to even a slight bump on the table could sometimes make the bulb switch modes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:48:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Malkoff Devices M361N-LMH Neutral Low-Med-High to Fit SureFire   15 lumens/75 lumens/375 lumens
[/thread]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I appreciate your opinion but that's not what I'm looking for. I want the option of a low mode on my weapon light if it's reliable. If that's the only light I have available I can always unmount it from the weapon if I need it for another purpose and re-mount as necessary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Handheld lights are for navigation and weaponlights are for shooting. Weaponlights should never be multimode for reasons previously mentioned
4th opinion to avoid multi-mode weapon lights
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
You might want to consider an olight m20 warrior. It has 4 modes, that are very nicely spaced, including a 10 lumen moonlight mode. The way it changes modes is the reason I am recommending it. There is the warrior, and warrior s, both change modes differently. The warrior changes modes when on by loosening and tightening its head. The warrior s changes modes with a secondary button on the side of the tail cap. These lights are tuff, I have owned a m20 warrior s for five years, I also own a m21x that I have had for 2 years...no problem with either of them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what experience is??? its what your get when you don't get what your want... Having a dual mode light on a gun is problematic...  and mounting/dismounting a light is never practice either. Wait to you fumble fuck with it in the dark and drop it... and the output will always be the wrong power when you absolutely have to have it on... that's Morphy's law kicking in...

If you need navigation, use a head lamp, or a hand held... of zip tie one of those small LED keychain lights to your rail, but if you just have to fly against the flock.... look at an older Surefire M500 or M900 that has LED navigation lights on it...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You might want to consider an olight m20 warrior. It has 4 modes, that are very nicely spaced, including a 10 lumen moonlight mode. The way it changes modes is the reason I am recommending it. There is the warrior, and warrior s, both change modes differently. The warrior changes modes when on by loosening and tightening its head. The warrior s changes modes with a secondary button on the side of the tail cap. These lights are tuff, I have owned a m20 warrior s for five years, I also own a m21x that I have had for 2 years...no problem with either of them.
View Quote

I use Vetwrap self adhesive bandage to make one extra tight in a PLS-1 mount and it works perfect.

It does sound like OP insists on a multimode drop-in.  Perhaps we should encourage him.  I have friends who are perfectly happy to encourage failure so they can observe it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I was thinking of multi-mode more as an option in case I needed extended runtime, but after seeing this quote in the other thread

Most humorous observation of the class was watching the guys with multi-mode lights strobing and S.O.S.ing their way through the night drills
View Quote

I tried messing with mine and could see how it could happen under stress. I'll probably work on swapping out my current Inforce WML's for the newest version that has the lockout option.

So... to bring this thread back on track (kind of) what's my best runtime option for a single mode replacement drop-in that's 300+ lumens?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was thinking of multi-mode more as an option in case I needed extended runtime, but after seeing this quote in the other thread

I tried messing with mine and could see how it could happen under stress. I'll probably work on swapping out my current Inforce WML's for the newest version that has the lockout option.

So... to bring this thread back on track (kind of) what's my best runtime option for a single mode replacement drop-in that's 300+ lumens?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most humorous observation of the class was watching the guys with multi-mode lights strobing and S.O.S.ing their way through the night drills

Malkoff M61 is the way to go. I prefer the M61W because it has a warmer tint beam but the standard one will work just fine for you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Multi mode lights do not belong on a combat rifle & you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who's been in a low-light gunfight with rifles that runs a multimode weaponlight.  6P with a Malkoff M61 drop in would be excellent.  I have the three-mode Malkoff's in my non-weapon mounted 6P's and they are awesome for regular work applications.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been looking at Malkoff M61's but it looks like they're $88 shipped for two... it seems like it would make more sense to buy a couple of 6PX Tactical's ($65 shipped from Amazon) and sell off my 6P's (guessing I could get more than $42 total for two) is there something I'm missing or does this make the most sense?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:18:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been looking at Malkoff M61's but it looks like they're $88 shipped for two... it seems like it would make more sense to buy a couple of 6PX Tactical's ($65 shipped from Amazon) and sell off my 6P's (guessing I could get more than $42 total for two) is there something I'm missing or does this make the most sense?
View Quote

You're right. A G2X tactical is generally going to fit what most people need. However I would trust either one. If one option is cheaper than the other I would go with that but like I said either would work.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered a couple 6PX Tacticals and will unload the 6P's.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Etc plus makes the best 2 cell drop ins. They are better regulated than malkoff, offer the same potting, and are aluminum vs. Brass for better thermal management and much less weight.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Etc plus makes the best 2 cell drop ins. They are better regulated than malkoff, offer the same potting, and are aluminum vs. Brass for better thermal management and much less weight.
View Quote

Do you have a link to their website? Typing in "Etc Plus" in Google hasn't turned up anything.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you have a link to their website? Typing in "Etc Plus" in Google hasn't turned up anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I butterfingered it.

EDC+
http://edcplus.com/accessories-p60-dropins-c-3_18.html
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Thank you for the link. Looks like a nice drop in especially in terms of lumens. Any idea if they will fit in lights like the Surefire 951 without mods? That's been my one beef with the Malkoff drop ins.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top