Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 7:50:52 PM EDT
They are cheap and work great. I just put one on a pistol and I like it.
How will this model stand-up to HD work mounted to my carbine AR 1913 picatinny.
I will use this for some home defense, occasional night match, maybe my 'truck gun' What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you understand it's limits, it's a great light. Would work well on an HD carbine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you understand it's limits, it's a great light. Would work well on an HD carbine.
View Quote

This.
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
What are it's limits compared to a regular light?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump because I am interested in this as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one on mine it works out great it's on the 9:00 position near where my thumb is.

Edt:
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your only activation choices are rocker switch or tapeswitch. No provision for locking out the light to prevent accidental activation. To change batteries you have to physically remove the light from the weapon.
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one on my truck gun, AR, HD shotgun and HD AR. All work great.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I ran one on a SBR for a couple of years.  No problems at all with it - you're good to go.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. I bought another one today.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Although it is suitable to run on a rifle close range, the tlr1-hp aka the big head version has a tighter beam and throws further in the night and helps cut thru smoke/fog better
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
It'll work.  Just don't expect it to go to hell and back again etc.  Exposed flipper /activation switches make me go hmmmmm.  Same thing with people putting X300's on their rifles.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The HL is just a few bucks more and is probably better suited for long gun use.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I use them on 3 shotguns. They work well. Never a problem. My Surefire flew right off on the first shot but the TLR stays on the rail. The HL had amazing light, 630 lumens.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I would add that the TLR-1 was designed as a pistol mounted light. And it works very well in that capicity. Read indoor/short range. And yes,I  own one.

The beam pattern tells you this. Very narrow. If this light will be used for HD primarily indoors or outdoors in a small yard then it should work great.....however...

If, like me, you have acreage or a large yard, there are better choices IMHO.

I have offically jumped on the Elzetta bandwagon. I got a Bravo with the AVS head and can tell you, with no ambiguity, that the beam this light puts out is simply amazing.

Just the total area that you can light up is massive, compared to the Streamlight. To take it a step further, there is no comparison. The Elzetta is superior in every way one could measure overall light performance. Throw and spill is night and day. Color of beam is incredibly natural. I don't think I've ever seen a weapon mounted beam like it.

In an outdoor enviroment, this could easily save your life. The ability to ID a large area, easily, cannot be overstated.

My $0.02.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anybody seen the new TLR-1 - HPL version? It advertises 775 lumens in a very tight beam, Should be ideal for rifle use.

I've not found any of them at the usual places.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has anybody seen the new TLR-1 - HPL version? It advertises 775 lumens in a very tight beam, Should be ideal for rifle use.

View Quote

Wait, what? I just bought a HL.

ETA: http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=313

775 lumens, 48,000 candela beam vs 200 lumens and 46,000 candela

That tells me you should have a much bigger hotspot on the new HPL. I'm not 100% sure about this light as that would be like a searchlight stuck on your rifle. Inside you might set paper on fire and if you went outside you could probably signal Batman.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The HL is just a few bucks more and is probably better suited for long gun use.
View Quote

I had one on a rifle.  Worked great at night with a scope shooting coyotes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one on my go-to rifle and have used this light in a carbine class for a short low light portion of the class. No problems with this light but I wonder how durable the plastic activation switch is. Has anyone run this light hard and had any issues with any part of the light?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the HD model on my HD carbine and their TLR-4 on my G34.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Your only activation choices are rocker switch or tapeswitch. No provision for locking out the light to prevent accidental activation. To change batteries you have to physically remove the light from the weapon.
Tomac
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

If you run with a tapeswitch on a TLR, the switch on the backplate of the body of the light is OFF-MOMENT-ON.

I used an older TLR1-C4 on my carbine for a long time without issue. It locks up nice and tight and stood up to everything I could throw at it. The rifle kit one has a bigger thumb screw, so removing it to replace the battery is not as much of a hassle. Also, I find the tape switch mounting to be fairly easy and very secure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That tells me you should have a much bigger hotspot on the new HPL. I'm not 100% sure about this light as that would be like a searchlight stuck on your rifle. Inside you might set paper on fire and if you went outside you could probably signal Batman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm getting a 404 on this now, but Google search has a cached copy with the specs.  Looks like the HP body married to the HPL reflector.  The results also show a bunch of places I wouldn't give my CC # to.  

I've been looking at the HP with tapeswitch for a distance rifle.  Going to hold off until I can get a pic of the beam of this HPL.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm getting a 404 on this now, but Google search has a cached copy with the specs.  Looks like the HP body married to the HPL reflector.  The results also show a bunch of places I wouldn't give my CC # to.  

I've been looking at the HP with tapeswitch for a distance rifle.  Going to hold off until I can get a pic of the beam of this HPL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you could preorder from Botach. What could go wrong?
http://www.botach.com/streamlight-69219-tlr-1-hpl-775-lumen-long-range-long-gun-tactical-light-kit/
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.botach.com/streamlight-69219-tlr-1-hpl-775-lumen-long-range-long-gun-tactical-light-kit/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People talk shit about Botach, but I've ordered several times and they've been good to me. As recently as last week I got one of those KZ rails that attach to the bayonet lug. $15+free shipping+made in USA. 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a TLR1s. I'm going to ultimately buy a few more for my long guns. I put the Glock rail key in it and it forks fine on all of my 1913 rails. I have the rails that are on both sides of my FSB on most of my ARs (I'm right handed) when I run a light with a tail cap button (Brinkman MaxFire XL in a scope ring) I like it on the left so my left thumb operates the button, but on the TLR I find it works better on the right and I flip the switch with my left index finger by wraping my hand around from underneith. This is actually a better set up because I like my sling hanging off the left of the FSB. Now I'm hooked on TLR1s. I think it is like 300 lumens (?) It is very bright, plenty bright for indoors and IMO bright enough for varmeting at 100 yards.

The ONLY negitive I see is as mentioned above, it is very easy to accidently activate. Great for a weapon propped up next to your bed at night, but not good on a weapon stored behind the seat of a truck. It would most certainly get turned on if it was bumping around in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#26]
They are almost half off at Amazon right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They are almost half off at Amazon right now.
View Quote

Link? Not seeing it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I run HL's on rifle and pistols.  For the price you can't to wrong and the HL puts out a shit ton of I light.  The inner cone has a diamond shape to it that let's you pick up corners and gives you more perephial than the usual hot spot.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one on my AR, 870, and M&P. I like that I'm standardized across all my HD/SD choices in that aspect.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top