Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2014 6:17:09 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am in need of help, I currently am thinking about trying out a surefire light for my AR. They have a lot of models.
I like the M620V and M952V-TN  so far.
The big problem I have encountered is the pricing, I see they  MSRP in the $500's. I found some on ebay and in the equipment exchange for much less.

The question is which light would you recommend and what is a fair price for one new. Looking to make a decision in the next few hours.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I am in need of help, I currently am thinking about trying out a surefire light for my AR. They have a lot of models.
I like the M620V and M952V-TN  so far.
The big problem I have encountered is the pricing, I see they  MSRP in the $500's. I found some on ebay and in the equipment exchange for much less.

The question is which light would you recommend and what is a fair price for one new. Looking to make a decision in the next few hours.
View Quote

If you make a decision in the next few hours expect to pay MSRP if you are buying from surefire direct.
I have NEVER paid MSRP or near it for any surefire product and I have literally bought dozens of lights, rails and shotgun weaponlight forends made by them.

I always tell people to look at craigslist and local want ads to buy lights, you sometimes get lucky. I bought a surefire scout light from a guy for 80 bucks.

I use streamlight tlr1s lights on a few shotguns and pistols. I would not hesitate to use one on an AR rifle and they are cheap but very well made.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You can find the M952's for $100~175 range fairly easy. I got 1 for $100 and the ir was not working , so I sent it to Surefire and they replaced the lamp for free.
I have seen some for sale over at M-4carbine.net in the EE.
Good luck
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, I saw a guy that has new in package M952v for 189.99 and I saw a M620v on ebay for about 180.00 pending bid. Do you think that is too much? Both are brand new
I have a Streamlight protac hl, but its heavy and not very streamlined lol
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
So the 189.99 plus shipping is a little high for a M952v-tn. The seller said that it was the newer model not the older one (no idea what that means)
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought that people were actually paying MSRP for surefire lights. I saw people pay msrp at gun stores for these things
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#6]
<removed ...........dpmmn>
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The ONLY reason I would have a vampire light would be if I was using night vision.

I am using Vampire lights because I do have night vision. I'm fairly underwhelmed by the white light, and as soon as I get a LAM with built in IR illumination I'll be moving to a SF Fury.

Don't pay MSRP for any SF light. And, if you don't have night vision find a brighter, non-dual spectrum light like a scout or a MUCH cheaper fury in a light mount.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 952v tn and the white light is very usable.  Bright enough to blind and good enough for 50 yards illumination. There are much brighter lights around... but my night vision gets pretty fried if i blast away with a 500 + lumen light.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If you need to buy new, Kevin at www.brightflashlights.com generally has the best prices around.  He is also a forum supporting dealer.

If you don't use NVGs, you don't need IR.  For the money, the Surefire P2X Fury is really the best value out there and also has the best combination of spill and throw in a 500 lumen white light package.  May be some Black Friday deals coming up soon if you can wait.  As another said, all of the V series lights aren't as good in the VIS spectrum as the dedicated white lights are.

For spill/throw P2X > Scout 600 series > 900 series
For low weight Scout 300 series > Scout 600 series > P2X = 900 series

Got to make trade offs.  Stay away from pressure pad switches if you can as they are a serious weak link.

Quoted:
I have a 952v tn and the white light is very usable.  Bright enough to blind and good enough for 50 yards illumination. There are much brighter lights around... but my night vision gets pretty fried if i blast away with a 500 + lumen light.
View Quote

Just think about the night vision of the guy on the receiving end of the blast.  Can't have too much money, ammo, gun, or light.  Also, for inside search you can use indirect lighting very effectively with a 500 lumen torch.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I don't have any Night Vision equipment so I guess the Vamp stuff is irrelevant. So the pressure switches are not really all that? Should I just stick with the light I have now? Stream light Protac HL. Has high setting of 600 lumens, low 330 lumens and strobe. Also no tape switches just the button which I don't mind.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
You can either go with an M951, then upgrade the bulb with a Malkoff M61 LED bulb, or go with a Surefire M300V Mini Scout

My SBR with an M300 Mini Scout; the M4 upper below has an M951

Closeup of the Mini Scout, mounted on a Thorntail SBR mount by IWC.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Depending on your intended use, a G2x is a damn bright light and is in the $60 range...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I have heard good things about the scout. I am curious as to what you guys think of the light I currently have. Its for HD primarily.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Avoid the millennium series if you can help it. The price is decent, but I would far recommend the scout light over it. The body is used, and can be converted for other uses with different heads. New at shot show 2014 is the fury head for example. You can run a mini scout and now grab a vampire head for it. Which is the main reason why I have a full body scout (M600).
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
You could also get a gear sector offset mount and put just about any light on it and have beer money left over!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought that people were actually paying MSRP for surefire lights. I saw people pay msrp at gun stores for these things
View Quote

No, man...no. Tell me what you want and I can probably find it much cheaper for you---no benefit to me, just helping someone out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Sent you an IM
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I would go with a surefire m951 with an LED conversion head. Got mine off the EE for $85, and have found them even cheaper since then.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Be VERY wary of the tan M952v lights on Ebay. I just got one for $165 the other day, and something about it says "fake". I bought it on the spur of the moment without doing much research, but the seller was an Army Surplus store and I figured it would be legit. It's a great fake, if it is indeed one, but I didn't want to spend $165 on somebody's scam. Everything looks like the genuine article, but the finish on it feels almost like spray paint. Also, it shows "patent pending" on the underside of the mount. If anybody has one that's genuine that they bought through Surefire I would sure appreciate it if you'd post whether the finish on the light should be rough or smooth and maybe whether there is a patent on a real Surefire M952v-tn.. I just didn't do my homework.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Be VERY wary of the tan M952v lights on Ebay. I just got one for $165 the other day, and something about it says "fake". I bought it on the spur of the moment without doing much research, but the seller was an Army Surplus store and I figured it would be legit. It's a great fake, if it is indeed one, but I didn't want to spend $165 on somebody's scam. Everything looks like the genuine article, but the finish on it feels almost like spray paint. Also, it shows "patent pending" on the underside of the mount. If anybody has one that's genuine that they bought through Surefire I would sure appreciate it if you'd post whether the finish on the light should be rough or smooth and maybe whether there is a patent on a real Surefire M952v-tn.. I just didn't do my homework.
View Quote

Some of the finishes do feel like spray-paint on tan items. Kindof "crinkly" with "texture". They are durable as hell, though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Some of the finishes do feel like spray-paint on tan items. Kindof "crinkly" with "texture". They are durable as hell, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the post.Well, that eases my mind somewhat. Do you know if there is a patent for the mount? I also just noticed the KM3 bezel says "patent pending" also. I really like the light, and it's bright as HELL. I just hate the thought of getting took. I've always been pretty lucky on Ebay, other than one set of ARMS sights that I called out the seller on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for the post.Well, that eases my mind somewhat. Do you know if there is a patent for the mount? I also just noticed the KM3 bezel says "patent pending" also. I really like the light, and it's bright as HELL. I just hate the thought of getting took. I've always been pretty lucky on Ebay, other than one set of ARMS sights that I called out the seller on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I DO have to say I would have also been disappointed if I'd paid $595 for this light from Surefire or a gun store. It's nice, but it ain't that nice. $160, to me, is about all it's worth (if it ain't fake)

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top