Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2014 8:01:28 PM EDT
Does anyone have a weapon light they recommend for an AR15? I currently have a Nitecore P12 on mine, which is a really nice light. However, I think I like it better as a handheld light and want to try something different on my rifle. I've tried a Surefire G2 Pro... but wasn't sold on it. I like Surefire though, and have had their lights before. I would buy another one again.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Surefire x300 ultra
Streamlight trl-1 hl
Inforce
Surefire handheld light with your choice of mount.

All good options
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What type of shooting do you do? What illumination range do you need? Generally, the smaller the better as long as it has sufficient lumens to perform whatever duty you anticipate using it for.

I really (really) like the latest-generation M3X. It won't do much for you past 50 meters, but indoors it blows away any bajillion-lumen freakshow light as it is bright enough to disorient any suspect / intruder yet soft and diffused enough to light up an entire room without blowing everything out. That, and it's SMALL AND LIGHT!

This is my night rig:

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much right now but I am in the police academy and I plan on using this rifle on the street once I graduate. I have a TLR-1s for my Glock and I like it. I've heard a lot of great things about Insight lights though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got one of these and like it a lot
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not much right now but I am in the police academy and I plan on using this rifle on the street once I graduate. I have a TLR-1s for my Glock and I like it. I've heard a lot of great things about Insight lights though.
View Quote

I don't know about your department, but most will provide a list of gear they've approved for personal purchase to use on duty if they don't insist you use their issue gear. I would check with them first before committing to something they may not approve after the fact.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
SF P2X EAG Fury in a HSP mount is what I use and love.

Push for momentary on and push further for constant, and if you don't like that then the M600 Fury is the next step up and uses a pressure switch.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]

I generally like an X300U at 12:00 in front of a fixed FSB, but this is a really smart setup.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Olight M22 Warrior.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What type of shooting do you do? What illumination range do you need? Generally, the smaller the better as long as it has sufficient lumens to perform whatever duty you anticipate using it for.

I really (really) like the latest-generation M3X. It won't do much for you past 50 meters, but indoors it blows away any bajillion-lumen freakshow light as it is bright enough to disorient any suspect / intruder yet soft and diffused enough to light up an entire room without blowing everything out. That, and it's SMALL AND LIGHT!

This is my night rig:

http://huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/full_goat_01.jpg
View Quote

Your pictures always make me drool
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't know about your department, but most will provide a list of gear they've approved for personal purchase to use on duty if they don't insist you use their issue gear. I would check with them first before committing to something they may not approve after the fact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're pretty open regarding what gear you can use on patrol. As long as you can qualify with it. There are guidelines though so that is something to take into consideration I suppose. Most of the officers I know have a wide variety of lights... I've pretty much seen almost ever sort of weapon light on patrol rifles lol.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Surefire 6P Original with a Malkoff M61 drop in.  Infinitely upgradeable as newer and brighter LEDs come along.  Stick it in a VTAC offset mount.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Surefire 6P Original with a Malkoff M61 drop in.  Infinitely upgradeable as newer and brighter LEDs come along.  Stick it in a VTAC offset mount.
View Quote

I already have the VTAC offset mount and I like it. I will check out the Surefire 6P Original. Thanks for your response!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I run a 300-lumen TLR-1 on my AR and have been really happy with it so far. It's small, lightweight and has plenty of lumens. My TangoDown stubby vertical grip in conjunction with the "magpul"-ish style hold allows me to reach the rear toggle switch quite comfortably. Also, you can easily throw it onto a pistol if you ever needed to. If you keep your eyes open you can sometimes find them BNIB for less than $100.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Why black out your Troy front BUIS?

I run a pair of Troys.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I run a pair of Troys.

View Quote

click here

OP I run a TLR-1 and it works fine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

click here

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run a pair of Troys.

click here

I am fully aware of the "boycott".  If you are boycotting troy you should take them off your rifle instead of trying to hide them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for your response. I have the TLR-1s for my handgun and I like it. I guess I could give it a try on my rifle, but then my handgun would be without one and I don't want to have to buy another one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am fully aware of the "boycott".  If you are boycotting troy you should take them off your rifle instead of trying to hide them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run a pair of Troys.

click here

What's the deal with the Troy boycott? Haven't heard of that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Why sui you need a light on your rifle? You are not even out of the academy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not for 235.00.
View All Quotes

Seriously, why not? It's a Malkoff M31 basically, and a quality front sight, and it weighs a total of about 3.2oz with battery.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never went to academy, and I have a light on my rifle.
What does that have to do with it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wondering if OP has the cart in front of the horse.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seriously, why not? It's a Malkoff M31 basically, and a quality front sight, and it weighs a total of about 3.2oz with battery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They also sell just the mount for $70 which is a good deal on a front sight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price includes shipping (2 day) I ordered on a Wednesday and got it on Friday.
add up the cost of a front sight, a quality light, and a mount. then add shipping and let me know where you are at cost wise.
plus if you already have a light or like one better than a Malkoff. they offer the mount/sight separate as fatcat4620 pointed out above.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok and????? I still shoot and sometimes at night. Not sure how that is putting the "cart in front of the horse"...
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you want to use a mounted handheld light like you currently have or a weapon specific light? What are your mounting options on the rifle? What handguard it's on the rifle? Do you prefer a tape switch, toggle switch, clicky switch, or twist/momentary switch? Do you have a specific battery  preference and do you want to use rechargeable batteries?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did you want to use a mounted handheld light like you currently have or a weapon specific light? What are your mounting options on the rifle? What handguard it's on the rifle? Do you prefer a tape switch, toggle switch, clicky switch, or twist/momentary switch? Do you have a specific battery  preference and do you want to use rechargeable batteries?
View Quote

I just recently purchased the Troy Alpha rail and have a VTAC mount. I currently have a Nitecore handheld light that is on it now, but would like something else. I've always had a handheld light in the VTAC mount so I don't have any experience with weapon specific lights... such as the Surefire Scout. I would love to try it but it's a bit out of my price range. I prefer the "clicky switch" buy I've tried the tape switch and liked it as well. I don't have a battery preference, although I don't necessarily like AA or AAA batteries.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I would move the front sight back and mount the tlr1 in front of it to see if I liked that configuration. I don't view the light you have now as a primary handheld and it may be too bright for a secondary light (looking at ID with a 900 lumen light will blind you). If you like what you have now you can always buy another hand held. I would look into a rechargeable hand held primary that can throw a good beam and a small secondary to use for mundane tasks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

add up the cost of a front sight, a quality light, and a mount. then add shipping and let me know where you are at cost wise.
plus if you already have a light or like one better than a Malkoff. they offer the mount/sight separate as fatcat4620 pointed out above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I bought several, and for 0-50 yards, they are amazing products. Past that, and I like a TIR light. I modify mine though. Sapphire lenses.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would move the front sight back and mount the tlr1 in front of it to see if I liked that configuration. I don't view the light you have now as a primary handheld and it may be too bright for a secondary light (looking at ID with a 900 lumen light will blind you). If you like what you have now you can always buy another hand held. I would look into a rechargeable hand held primary that can throw a good beam and a small secondary to use for mundane tasks.
View Quote

Good idea! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try that. The light I have on it now is rechargeable... love that concept.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, a weapon light with rocker switch mounted at 12 o'clock is popular right now. I am more of a fan of the surefire push/twist tail cap on a rifle. Remember to read up on weapon light tactics and practice clearing your house
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#33]
12_gauge- I love throwers but I don't think the should play a role in a civilian weapon mounted light. Definitely as a handheld though.
(Not taking about hunting)

ETA: I have built singe P60 clones with R5 emitters under two 16340s with smooth reflectors that could throw 100 yards so there is middle ground. The problem is that with a thrower you have no peripheral light and that can cause tunnel vision.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep, I bought several, and for 0-50 yards, they are amazing products. Past that, and I like a TIR light. I modify mine though. Sapphire lenses.
View Quote

They are working on a 2 cell. I was trying to hold out for it. but, couldn't.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#35]
TLR1S or TLR1HL in front of the front sight. Low weight reliable light that with that placement keeps your rifle slim and less likely to snag on your gear.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I use the Streamlight TLR-1 HL (wide beam) and the TLR-1s HP (spot), I like the rocker switch to quickly turn on and off but you cant leave it on the gun in a case because most of the time it will get bumped on and kill the battery's, Its easy to take on and off so no biggie. I use it at times a lot 2-3 times a week  during the season and they hold up well, battery life is OK about 1 to 1.5 hours run time, so that turns into a lot of trigger time as its only on when you are shooting.  
For the light to work really well you need to have a long forearm and mount it out at the end of the barrel, so the isn't a shadow from the barrel in the picture that is a 14' forearm with a 16' barrel

The Streamlight TLR-1 HL fits close to the barrel, wide even beam good out to 75-80 yards maybe a little more, will pick up eyes a lot further maybe 150+ yards. Its great when using thermal to sneaking up on hogs, try and get within 30-40 yds, the wide beam is great shooting a a 1-4x Vortex scope with a red dot at 1x you can pile them up in a heart beat.

The TLP-1s HP is great when you have long shots at night, really throws a beam out there, 150 yds positive id with a 4x scope is no problem.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
TLR1S or TLR1HL in front of the front sight. Low weight reliable light that with that placement keeps your rifle slim and less likely to snag on your gear.
View Quote

I tried my TLR-1s in front of my flip up front sight but couldn't get used to it. Just didn't like it as much.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use the Streamlight TLR-1 HL (wide beam) and the TLR-1s HP (spot), I like the rocker switch to quickly turn on and off but you cant leave it on the gun in a case because most of the time it will get bumped on and kill the battery's, Its easy to take on and off so no biggie. I use it at times a lot 2-3 times a week  during the season and they hold up well, battery life is OK about 1 to 1.5 hours run time, so that turns into a lot of trigger time as its only on when you are shooting.  
For the light to work really well you need to have a long forearm and mount it out at the end of the barrel, so the isn't a shadow from the barrel in the picture that is a 14' forearm with a 16' barrel

The Streamlight TLR-1 HL fits close to the barrel, wide even beam good out to 75-80 yards maybe a little more, will pick up eyes a lot further maybe 150+ yards. Its great when using thermal to sneaking up on hogs, try and get within 30-40 yds, the wide beam is great shooting a a 1-4x Vortex scope with a red dot at 1x you can pile them up in a heart beat.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5601/15557179678_69aedd4c13_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7507/15122665094_288ae504f5_b.jpg

Wow thanks for your response. I've never seen the TLR-1s HP before... that thing looks like a beast. I have the TLR-1s for my Glock and have tried it on my AR before. Another user here recommended putting it in front of my front sight but I just didn't like it and couldn't get used to it. I may have put it where you have it when I was bored and playing around but pretty sure I haven't shot it like that before so it wouldn't hurt to try it.

The TLP-1s HP is great when you have long shots at night, really throws a beam out there, 150 yds positive id with a 4x scope is no problem.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7475/15123209463_633ffe0cae_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7496/15557449047_cacbc79020_b.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I love my m952v (led version) lights. Have several now. Literally just snagged a lightly used one on eBay last week for $83 shipped. Rugged led with nice mount.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#40]
How can we be this far into the thread and nobody has recommended a Surefire M600U scout light?

500 lumens in a lightweight package that doesn't have exposed toggle switches like the pistol lights mentioned here.

Remember theres no trigger guard protecting the backplate on your TLR or X series and thats the vulnerable point of the light.

Please consider the scout light, especially if this is going to be a working gun.  They are damn near bomb-proof and can be combined with a SR07 if thats your thing.

Check it out here.

They even have the M600P (600 lumen version with a different head on it) for 244 bucks, but its not in stock right now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How can we be this far into the thread and nobody has recommended a Surefire M600U scout light?

500 lumens in a lightweight package that doesn't have exposed toggle switches like the pistol lights mentioned here.

Remember theres no trigger guard protecting the backplate on your TLR or X series and thats the vulnerable point of the light.

Please consider the scout light, especially if this is going to be a working gun.  They are damn near bomb-proof and can be combined with a SR07 if thats your thing.

Check it out here.

They even have the M600P (600 lumen version with a different head on it) for 244 bucks, but its not in stock right now.
View Quote

I would LOVE to get one of those but the price is what kills me. Being in the academy now I can't afford much. I may have found one for a decent price but not sure on the condition.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I would LOVE to get one of those but the price is what kills me. Being in the academy now I can't afford much. I may have found one for a decent price but not sure on the condition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check it out here.

Then wait until you can afford one and put it off until you're out of the academy....or even off of FTO and out on your own.

Duty rifles need duty quality parts.  I've seen a lot of really lousy suggestions in this thread, and you need shit that works, period.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Check it out here.

View Quote
+1 and especially for a duty carbine.

No more fast food for a while OP. Pinch those pennies.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top