Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2014 7:41:59 PM EDT
Does anyone know what to look for when buying a used Surefire light to make sure it's authentic? I'm shopping around and I want to make sure I don't get ripped off. After looking on EE and ebay I've determined either people have stolen these out of the back of a truck or they are chinese clones. The prices I'm seeing are too low to be real. How are people selling a $600 light for $150 used or $250 new?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
<GD Image removed...........dpmmn>
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, don't buy off eBay, or do so VERY CAREFULLY, since that place is overstocked with Chinese knockoffs AND "off the back of the supply truck" deals. Just buy from a reputable retailer or from a sponsored retailer here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not paid more than $50 for any of the four used M952's that I've purchased.  All from surplus stores.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not paid more than $50 for any of the four used M952's that I've purchased.  All from surplus stores.
View Quote

He asked about a 952v.  Regular 952's can be had cheap.  If you are getting 952v's for $50, please let me know where.

To the OP.  Like I said, you can get regular 952's for cheap.  If you don't mind the larger light, get one and then buy a LED drop in for it.  It will be much cheaper than the V version.

I have a brand new 952 still in the box and I bought an LED drop in for it but never used it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't need chinese knockoff surefire weaponlights, enough fall off trucks to keep them in supply.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
$600 for a light? They look fancy and all but what gains do you get over a $200 light? Surefire is behind the times on emitter tech and durability. What's your goal in using a light?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$600 for a light? They look fancy and all but what gains do you get over a $200 light? Surefire is behind the times on emitter tech and durability. What's your goal in using a light?
View Quote

$200 for a light??
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a ton of used FDE 952V's floating around.  They seem to sell for between $150-250 depending on condition.  Try finding a black one and you'll likely pay more.  The very similar 620V's seem to sell (used) for around $250-350.   Even brand new, Surefire's MSRP isn't a price you'll pay at very many places.  I have yet to see any counterfeit 952V's, but that doesn't mean that they're not out there.  Still, I'd say the prices you're seeing aren't that far off.  In fact, I'm was just about to list my 952V in the EE for $220 with a $100+ dollar LaRue mount included.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There are a ton of used FDE 952V's floating around.  They seem to sell for between $150-250 depending on condition.  Try finding a black one and you'll likely pay more.  The very similar 620V's seem to sell (used) for around $250-350.   Even brand new, Surefire's MSRP isn't a price you'll pay at very many places.  I have yet to see any counterfeit 952V's, but that doesn't mean that they're not out there.  Still, I'd say the prices you're seeing aren't that far off.  In fact, I'm was just about to list my 952V in the EE for $220 with a $100+ dollar LaRue mount included.
View Quote

I wanted to get a used FDE one but the problem I'm having is I don't know if it is a real one or a replica. I'm asking if anyone knows some dead giveaways to identifying replicas. Here is one of many example of a replica surefire.
http://airsoftcart.com/141-element-m952v-led-weaponlight-tan.html

It is pretty obvious that this one is a replica. The mount is very different and "Surefire" is missing from the pressure tape. But some replicas have these features and look just like the real deal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wanted to get a used FDE one but the problem I'm having is I don't know if it is a real one or a replica. I'm asking if anyone knows some dead giveaways to identifying replicas. Here is one of many example of a replica surefire.

It is pretty obvious that this one is a replica. The mount is very different and "Surefire" is missing from the pressure tape. But some replicas have these features and look just like the real deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would just stay away from eBay.  It is easy for a seller to use stock photos or stolen photos of actual Surefires and then ship a replica.  Dealing with eBay and PayPal can be a nightmare should you get screwed.  There are too many legitimate 952V's here in the EE for a decent price to warrant trying to save a few bucks and take the "eBay gamble".

EDIT:  As far as determining replicas vs the real deal, I'm not sure what to look for specifically, but close up pictures will usually provide you with enough of the small details to determine legitimacy, like the ones you noticed in replica you linked to.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy off the EE. Ebay is full of knockoffs. I got my 951 for cheap off the EE since it ONLY saw 1 or 2 deployments
Still runs like brand new tho!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#12]
952v's are between 150-220 or so new in packaging in the EE almost daily.

There is a reason though.  They are crap.  Every, single one of them that I have owned ALL ended up getting the flickering head syndrome.  

I sent 3 of them back to Surefire to replace and the 3 replacements that came back all had the same issue.

Surefire admitted to it being a known issue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Whats a good alternative light that does White and IR and has a remote switch?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whats a good alternative light that does White and IR and has a remote switch?
View Quote

M600v or M300v.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought 2 used FDE 952V's for <$50. One came from ebay. You just have to be careful. I'm not aware of any fakes. Neither of mine developed flickering anything. I much prefer them to the old 952/962.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#17]

It says for airsoft guns further down, but it could easily be missed.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#18]

I would think the fact that it came from China would be a dead giveaway.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#19]
This really isn't rocket science guys. If it comes from China, it's a knockoff. If it says element. It's a knockoff.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I can't believe how much money some of you people are willing to spend on a light. I built all of my own weapon lights for around $60 a piece. It leaves me with way more money for ammo.r
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can't believe how much money some of you people are willing to spend on a light. I built all of my own weapon lights for around $60 a piece. It leaves me with way more money for ammo.r
View Quote

Does your light have an integral quick detach mounting system, white light and IR capability (and I don't mean open it up and insert a different P60 drop in), lifetime warranty support, and dual pressure switch receptacle/click switch tailcap?

I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, not all of us have the technical skills or equipment to build our own lights from scratch.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top