Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2014 12:53:51 AM EDT
The Surefire light I bought 2 years as a general purpose light is now mounted on my AR. The only problem is that the first push of the switch is the low light mode. I would prefer that the first mode is the high power option. Is there a way to change this? Thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Which flashlight? I know there is not way to make hi then low, but I believe there is way to make it high only.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You can mod it to high only.   I switched to a fury tactical which is high only because the low first bugged me too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to buy a $12 Chinese flashlight to get that kind of functionality, but Surefire has a great warranty though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to buy a $12 Chinese flashlight to get that kind of functionality, but Surefire has a great warranty though.
View Quote

Ya not sure what Surefire was thinking and why they still have not changed this idea, it's stupid, but I think they want people to that want high then low to buy more expensive lights that do it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ya not sure what Surefire was thinking and why they still have not changed this idea, it's stupid, but I think they want people to that want high then low to buy more expensive lights that do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The.same reason that it took them 5 years to catch up on LED emitters, and refuse to move to 18650 cells?

I was a Surefire fan before they were marked Surefire, and still have that first 6P that I thought was hot shit 20 years ago. But Surefire has created their own obsolescence by stoically refusing to advance their technology in the face of foreign competition, for my purposes at least.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Surefire light I bought 2 years as a general purpose light is now mounted on my AR. The only problem is that the first push of the switch is the low light mode. I would prefer that the first mode is the high power option. Is there a way to change this? Thanks for the tips!
View Quote

Sounds like you are trying to use a "pro" model light (maybe the G2X or 6Px) as a weapon light when you should be using the "tactical" version.  I've got a 6PX Tactical on my rifle and a G2X Pro as a handheld on my belt and found that this suits my needs quite well.  

Used in this fashion, I rarely go to the 300+ lumen on the G2X.  Most things I use a handheld for don't require 300+ lumens but it is there if I need it.  The biggest plus is the 45 hour battery life when on the low setting and the fact that I don't blind myself when looking at a piece of paper or something else close by with a light that is too bright.  300 lumens bouncing back at you in a dark room can certainly be a deteriment.  

Have you asked Surefire if the functionality is in the tailcap?  If so, I suppose you could get a "tactical" tailcap and put it on a "pro" model if those are indeed the kind of lights we are talking about.  I'm sure someone smarter than me can tell you if that will work.

The simplest thing would be to get a tactical model light and put it on your rifle and use your current light as a handheld/backup on your belt or in your pocket.   You can find a G2X Tactical on Amazon for $50...my $.02.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
On the surefire e2d led is there a way to make the first mode the low setting (5lumen) as opposed to the bright setting (200/500lumen). The set of batteries that came with my light drained pretty quick. I think it's because I always have to go to 500 lumens before I can get to 5 lumens when I want to use it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses guys!

I am not sure of the model. Its a smaller one, and has a B written on the flared part and castling on the rim where the light emits. It sounds like I am out of luck. I bought it at REI so its most likely a good campfire light and not the best for an AR. I got an SLM 1 from V7 weapon systems for the mount and the light  fits perfectly in it. Anyone else try this mount?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The.same reason that it took them 5 years to catch up on LED emitters, and refuse to move to 18650 cells?

I was a Surefire fan before they were marked Surefire, and still have that first 6P that I thought was hot shit 20 years ago. But Surefire has created their own obsolescence by stoically refusing to advance their technology in the face of foreign competition, for my purposes at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also change things for extremely odd not useful reasons the above is perfect example. They always used to by high then low, now they started doing low high, no one wants low high, I am not sure what market they are looking at other than trying to make their cheaper options less attractive than the expensive ones. I just bought a G2X 320 lumen and find out that they changed the body diameter, so my vtac mount that was holding an old E2E won't work because the E2E 1" diameter spacer is too large when put around the new G2X but with out it, it is slightly too small, even though the G2L I have in the same mount on another gun fits perfect. So ended up just wrapping a piece of electrical tape around the light where it fits in the mount, and it fits perfect, buy why change the diameter unless you are trying to sabotage the sales of your low end lights.

I have a about 10 Surefire lights but if they don't start making the best lights in the world again they are about a to loose a customer. I also have a A8N that they discontinued the batteries and bulbs, so I bought a $300 light a few years ago for duty use, and now the only thing they can tell me is buy another $500 new light as we no longer support our old rechargeable lights.

Quoted:
On the surefire e2d led is there a way to make the first mode the low setting (5lumen) as opposed to the bright setting (200/500lumen). The set of batteries that came with my light drained pretty quick. I think it's because I always have to go to 500 lumens before I can get to 5 lumens when I want to use it.

That shouldn't be a reason for the batteries to die, perhaps you are using the high setting more than you think. My dad complained to the same thing, and then I had him write down how long he used the high setting everyday for a few weeks, I soon realized why he needed knew batteries every month. Those 5-10 minute usages add up. You should be able to click through the setting very quick it won't effect the batteries much. I have a back up that has about 1.5hrs at full power and it lasts me about 6 months on a battery as I often just use the low 15 lumen setting. Click one high, the quickly let go and click again for low.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Surefire is coming out with exactly what you guys want. Check out their Peacekeeper, first click is 600 lumens the other click is 15 lumens. Comes out in a week!
Peacekeeper
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Surefire is coming out with exactly what you guys want. Check out their Peacekeeper, first click is 600 lumens the other click is 15 lumens. Comes out in a week!
Peacekeeper
View Quote

A Surefire that accepts 18650's???  I had to go look out my window to make sure there wasn't a meteor or tsunami or some other cataclysmic event happening.  Wow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
HDS lights are programmable.  You could also go with a Malkoff pocket carry light which is always high.  Those are your US options.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A Surefire that accepts 18650's???  I had to go look out my window to make sure there wasn't a meteor or tsunami or some other cataclysmic event happening.  Wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peacekeeper

I know right? I saw this thread and I said to myself, "What are these guys complaining about? I just read about this exact Surefire..."

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know right? I saw this thread and I said to myself, "What are these guys complaining about? I just read about this exact Surefire..."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peacekeeper

So I guess SHTF is happening tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Alternating on every click is still

My favorite is the LX2 Lumamax Press lightly for low (or twist tailcap a bit for low constant on), and press harder for high (or twist tailcap more for constant high).

It's just a little big.The perfect light would be a LX1 Lumamax. But of course that's the one they don't make, instead they came out with the alternating E1B or EB1

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Alternating on every click is still

My favorite is the LX2 Lumamax Press lightly for low (or twist tailcap a bit for low constant on), and press harder for high (or twist tailcap more for constant high).

It's just a little big.The perfect light would be a LX1 Lumamax. But of course that's the one they don't make, instead they came out with the alternating E1B or EB1

View Quote

Aren't the "tactical" models of the eb1 just as you describe the UI of the lx2?  I have two EB1's that operate just as you describe.
http://www.surefire.com/eb1-backup.html
Look at the "Tactical switch without shroud" description.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top