Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2014 1:08:26 PM EDT
I want to get a light for my SBR, but having no experience with them, per se, I don't want to jump in and buy a crap light/mount.

I'm using a magpul AFG, so I'm thinking something I can easily flip on/off and not something that is pressure applied.  And I'm not doing any outdoor night shooting or plinking, it's home defense.

Alright - shoot me some ideas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Streamlight TLR HL.  Lite, bright, compact and reasonably priced.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There we go - that's what I'm talking about.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Surefire G2X or 6PX get my vote.  Put one in a mount that stuffs the light around 11 o'clock and its just about perfect IMO.  If the light is going to be out by the muzzle I would go with the 6PX as it has an aluminum body.  Both lights are plenty bright to get it done.  I have a G2X and I like it a lot.  Good beam.  Lots of good usable light for not a lot of dough.  But the pistol light option is nice for a compact light.  I am not a huge fan of using them on a rifle, but they aren't bad.  Like I said, 11 o'clock with a regular tac flashlight and I am happy.  It's what works for me.  Can hit the button with my thumb just fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Surefire G2X or 6PX get my vote.  Put one in a mount that stuffs the light around 11 o'clock and its just about perfect IMO.  If the light is going to be out by the muzzle I would go with the 6PX as it has an aluminum body.  Both lights are plenty bright to get it done.  I have a G2X and I like it a lot.  Good beam.  Lots of good usable light for not a lot of dough.  But the pistol light option is nice for a compact light.  I am not a huge fan of using them on a rifle, but they aren't bad.  Like I said, 11 o'clock with a regular tac flashlight and I am happy.  It's what works for me.  Can hit the button with my thumb just fine.
View Quote

This the Vtac mount works very well for this I have two of them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I run streamlight Pro TAC HLs on my rifles with the Magpul Rail Light Mount.  I had a TLR1 but immediately removed it after using it in a class.  The controls in my opinion don't work well on a rifle.  A push button tail cap is a far better option.  

If money isn't a limiting factor, I'd put a elzetta on your rifle.  I plan on upgrading at least one of my lights to a elzetta next year.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I run streamlight Pro TAC HLs on my rifles with the Magpul Rail Light Mount.  I had a TLR1 but immediately removed it after using it in a class.  The controls in my opinion don't work well on a rifle. A push button tail cap is a far better option.  

If money isn't a limiting factor, I'd put a elzetta on your rifle.  I plan on upgrading at least one of my lights to a elzetta next year.
View Quote

The picture on Amazon looks like it has a push button?  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, if you have the $$ the Elzetta's are a great option.  Especially since they are made in the US.  Just whatever you do, don't get a chinese light.  After having a couple, they are blah to ok, but not something I would trust my life with.  Buy US made stuff (Surefire, Elzetta or some custom job from one of the makers over on candle power forums).  You get better quality and better support IF something ever goes wrong.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check out our line of USA-Made Elzetta Modular Flashlights, configured to your specifications.
View Quote

I will certainly do so.  I need a mount, so hopefully it's self explanatory on your website.  And fuck China.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Inforce WMLx and love it.  It has an integrated mount, so all you need is a picatinny rail section.  No need to buy another mount. It is SUPER light weight too.

I have it on my Shotgun and I am getting one for my AR too.

The WML is 200 lumens, the WMLx is 500.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Bang for the buck, the Surefire G2X Tactical is probably the best deal going.

I also own a TLR-1 HL, and love it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I really want to try one of these on my 10.5" SBR.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bang for the buck, the Surefire G2X Tactical is probably the best deal going.

I also own a TLR-1 HL, and love it.
View Quote

I couldn't agree more on the G2X. 320 lumens for $60 is a bargain. The P2X Fury tactical is another bargain. 500 lumens can be found for $100. I have both and they are both great lights.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the Haley Strategic version of the Inforce WML on my setup. The Haley version is 200 lumens and is momentary on only if that matters to you. It's small, lightweight, easy to operate, and doesn't require that you purchase a mount for it. It'll run you about $100 give or take.

http://www.haleystrategic.com/wml/
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a Inforce WMLx and love it.  It has an integrated mount, so all you need is a picatinny rail section.  No need to buy another mount. It is SUPER light weight too.

I have it on my Shotgun and I am getting one for my AR too.

The WML is 200 lumens, the WMLx is 500.
View Quote

How well does your WML work on a shotgun? Mines on my AR but I have't tried it on my 870 yet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
surefires

the rest of the brands are shit. fuck streamlight and their gay shitty "customer service"

i have not tried the elzetta lights and plan on it eventually...but havent been too impressed w/ any of the light mounts i've tried from them, but i do support the company and how they stand by thier products and innovations
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree that the TLR HL is awesome. Crazy bright. Actually too bright for my handgun.
As an asside, my older TLR is the only thing that stays on my 870. My Surefire X300 flew off on the 1st shot but the TLR stays attached like a tick!! It's a worthy weapons light.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Check out our line of USA-Made Elzetta Modular Flashlights, configured to your specifications.
View Quote

We make The Toughest Flashlights on the Planet and have a host of mounting options as well.

Read our blog posts and/or videos for important information regarding tactical lighting (there is a LOT of misinformation on the internet).

The Alpha series is calling out to me.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Surefire X300 at 12 o'clock, or M300 w/ LT752 mount.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#20]
ElZetta , enough said!!!!! Best lights I have ever used.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked one.  But I'm not telling.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha, solid move!
For an SBR, I think the SL-1 is a solid light. It weighs less than anything else I am aware of.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:11:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I also grabbed a Thorntail and WMLX.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Haha, solid move!
For an SBR, I think the SL-1 is a solid light. It weighs less than anything else I am aware of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, solid move!

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:08:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
surefires

the rest of the brands are shit. fuck streamlight and their gay shitty "customer service"

i have not tried the elzetta lights and plan on it eventually...but havent been too impressed w/ any of the light mounts i've tried from them, but i do support the company and how they stand by thier products and innovations
View Quote

Surefire. The only light I have had to fuck up. About to try their CS to see if they will fix the problem.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top