Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2014 6:13:58 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them..

I ordered a TLR-1 HL this week more out of curiosity more than anything, and was excited to see how it compared to my Surefire. Today, when it arrived in the mail i was excited. At first glance it functioned great, and had an impressively bright white light. Strobe, Constant all worked. The issue, is that when i mounted it on my rifle, i noticed that it actually wasn't black. In fact the main body of the case is a plum color. Has anyone seen this before? I am trying to figure out if it is defect or a knock off. Purchased from Amazon. Seller was listed as Amazon.com not a third party, and everything seemed legit. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B8Q31UQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a lot of items that were supposed to be anodized black and turn out a plum color...but definitely were legit products. Noveske Gen2 lowers are one that comes to mind. I don't think your light is a knock-off, it's just part of a batch that the anodizing wasn't perfect on.

I'd probably return it. I really don't like the way it looks. My TLR-1HL is a nice dark black and matches the rest of the rifle. If it doesn't bother you though, keep it, obviously it won't effect the function any.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a blemished finish, doesn't affect anything.  I'll give you $75 for it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It will definitely be returned. Just worried about getting another one and going through the process again. May just order a surefire x300 again so i don't have to mess with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a blemished finish, doesn't affect anything.  I'll give you $75 for it.
View Quote

Funny.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
That would match my Knights M5 RAS perfectly
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It will definitely be returned. Just worried about getting another one and going through the process again. May just order a surefire x300 again so i don't have to mess with it.
View Quote

Why don't you get on Streamlight website and find out.  Phone call maybe.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a Colt to match it

Seems like the anodizing has some issues with color consistency
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
just had a purple tlr-1s from a verified dealer.  not a knockoff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]
It's real, just had a weak anodized finish on it, it can happen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks real to me.  I can tell you that the finish on my 2 Pro TAC HLs don't match the finish on my Pro TAC HL3.  The HL3 is definitely black and more glossy.  I'm not sure if the HLs are a plum or not, my eyes are terrible with distinguising shades of darker colors, they do have a more matte finish, though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would just keep it

it aint worth the hassle for return
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's real, just had a weak anodized finish on it, it can happen.
View Quote

why is it weak/
Ive seen AR15 with purple ano and it was just as strong
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
My TLR1 was purple. I traded it with my M&P 9, but it never game me problems.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've had purple X300's. It's not something that is related to quality, it's just part of the anodizing process.

Noveske, Colt, and other well respected names have had many purplish parts.

Honestly, I think it's a waste to worry about it. If it really bothers you, spray it with some flat black Krylon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#17]
my trl1 is purpleish as well, it works so i dont care.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#18]
My TRL1 is a plum color to I've had it for a few years now and it still doesn't bother me in the least! It works well with my Frankenstein AR since every piece on it is a different color.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely legit, and all 7 of mine are that way.  Three of which are HL's.   I don't have a pic handy, but that looks normal and consistent to me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]
All mine are purpleish
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
spray paint it if it bothers you.  Will help cover that retarded silver ring they refuse to eliminate on those things too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Like others have said I'd just paint it if it bothers you.

If you still have it mounted would you mind taking a sight picture photo? It looks like a nice setup.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

spray paint it if it bothers you. Will help cover that retarded silver ring they refuse to eliminate on those things too.
View Quote

What reeeeaaaaaally drives me nuts about that silver ring, is that they now have an IR-only TLR and the whole damn thing is black. No silver ring, no white branding. Nothing. Plain ol' black. But they have to put that big old fuckin' gaudy Escalade-esque silver ring on their white-light models.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#24]
You have too much time on your hands.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What reeeeaaaaaally drives me nuts about that silver ring, is that they now have an IR-only TLR and the whole damn thing is black. No silver ring, no white branding. Nothing. Plain ol' black. But they have to put that big old fuckin' gaudy Escalade-esque silver ring on their white-light models.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
spray paint it if it bothers you. Will help cover that retarded silver ring they refuse to eliminate on those things too.

Get a sharpie and cover that silver ring right up if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#26]
The TLR-VIR has neither a silver ring, nor any advertising.  Just picked one up for $130.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Just got my TLR-1 HL and after some painters tape, Birchwood Case flat black, and 10 minutes... no more bling ring.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Like the old purple Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The purplish tint isn't particularly rare on the Streamlights.  If you're that upset about the tint of the anodizing, you're probably just better off buying a SureFire.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top