Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2014 6:05:02 AM EDT
I'm seeing new in box Surefire M952V lights for around $200 shipped.  Is this still a good light to have or are there better options out there for $200?

Looking to add a light to my M4 with RAS rail and my MK18.  I don't need the IR.  No night vision in my future.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
M951 for $100 and a malkoff conversion
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm; I am going to purchase an M951 for my M4 upper and I have almost everything. What Malkoff conversion would you recommend? I have an extra CREE LED conversion on my G2 that could work, but I want something that will perform.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Direct From Malkoff

There is a small black piece inside to remove and you add the fitting ring.  Was very easy to do and light has nice throw.  I liked the battery life.  As long as it is an M61 variant, you can use it but I recommend whatever you get is a single mode.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm; I am going to purchase an M951 for my M4 upper and I have almost everything. What Malkoff conversion would you recommend? I have an extra CREE LED conversion on my G2 that could work, but I want something that will perform.
View Quote

Do you like cool white LEDs? Or do you prefer a neutral or warm tint? The M61 is great but IMO the M61N is an even better choice because the slightly warmer tint will be more natural and it makes a big difference in how well you can discern objects outdoors.

Malkoff M61N neutral tint
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one. The only reason I keep it is for the IR illumination. It tends to flicker under recoil though in my experience. I had to send it back to Surefire for warranty repair. They said nothing was wrong with it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you like cool white LEDs? Or do you prefer a neutral or warm tint? The M61 is great but IMO the M61N is an even better choice because the slightly warmer tint will be more natural and it makes a big difference in how well you can discern objects outdoors.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like this is what I need, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I know a guy with an extra M951  
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a 951 at a pawn shop for $75 in great shape with the ir filter, did I do ok? And no I dont believe it is a knockoff, lets just say they bought alot of stuff from one guy, all of it was interesting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just picked up a 951 at a pawn shop for $75 in great shape with the ir filter, did I do ok? And no I dont believe it is a knockoff, lets just say they bought alot of stuff from one guy, all of it was interesting.
View Quote

$75 ain't bad at all, especially with the IR filter.  Cheapest I have seen them go is $50, but usually they are around $80-110.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
brightflashlights.com sell them so there is no modification needed.  Good people
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:02:17 AM EDT
[#11]
If you don't need IR then why get a light with that capability?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:19:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you don't need IR then why get a light with that capability?
View Quote

cause it's a lot cheaper than buy the newest whiz bang light at almost twice the price and the bulb is only a little more.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top