Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2014 6:45:46 PM EDT
I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

Both lights claim 1.5 hours @ 500 lumens. The x300u is significantly cheaper, lighter, smaller, and can be used on anything with a short section of rail.

Are the heads different? Different beam? One more for flood, one more for throw?

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought an M951 new online for $100 and a Malkoff head with ring for $40.   Save yourself $100 and you also have a light with a pressure switch.

ETA: having owned the ultra head models, they have a wider throw.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought an M951 new online for $100 and a Malkoff head with ring for $40.   Save yourself $100 and you also have a light with a pressure switch.

View Quote

I'm specifically talking about comparing the m600 ultra scout, and the x300 ultra pistol light.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm specifically talking about comparing the m600 ultra scout, and the x300 ultra pistol light.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand.  I bought the 951 over the M600.  Previously had a 500 Lumen P2X Defender Fury which is the same head type as the scout fury. Was going to buy from bhphoto.  I had an X300U and may or may not buy another for my m&p.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd imagine a big part is that the Scout is 100% aluminum, and has a more robust mounting solution.  The X300 might have the same LED and driver combo, but the housing is smaller, and the mounting solution is not aluminum.  

Between the two (if money were no object) I'd get the Scout for rifle mounted use.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I understand.  I bought the 951 over the M600.  Previously had a 500 Lumen P2X Defender Fury which is the same head type as the scout fury. Was going to buy from bhphoto.  I had an X300U and may or may not buy another for my m&p.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is any of that relevant to his question?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd imagine a big part is that the Scout is 100% aluminum, and has a more robust mounting solution.  The X300 might have the same LED and driver combo, but the housing is smaller, and the mounting solution is not aluminum.  

Between the two (if money were no object) I'd get the Scout for rifle mounted use.
View Quote

I'm with this guy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he was asking about heads and beam.  i was debating between those two exact lights and have actually owned fury and x300 ultra lights if you read what I posted.  was trying to help save him money and still have a kick ass light.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
he was asking about heads and beam.  i was debating between those two exact lights and have actually owned fury and x300 ultra lights if you read what I posted.  was trying to help save him money and still have a kick ass light.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already own other lights. I'm not asking what to buy, I'm just trying to determine if there's an actual performance difference between the two ultra lights.

But I appreciate the attempt to help me out.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm with this guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with this guy.

I'm sure aluminium is a stronger mount, but I'm thinking the x300 mount would need to get smashed HARD to fail.

Mounting aside, Im still curious if there's any difference in actual output.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't the scout lights come with the pressure pad and appropriate tailcap? The XT07 for the X300 Ultra runs around 135 dollars more.

ETA: Makes the price much more comparable, if not more expensive for the X300.

As to the light output, I'd imagine they are pretty similar. No real first hand experience with the Scout lights.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both (M600U and X300U).  The Scout beam is tighter with more throw, and accordingly less spill.  It is a great med-long range spotter and is also good for short range.  The X300U has less range but greater spill, and has a better beam for very short distances.  I prefer the Scout as it penetrates deeper into the shadows if your illuminating into rooms as you walk a hallway.  I have no way to measure, but can see how one could say that they both output the same total lumens, but one is spottier and one is floodier.  IMHO, the Scout is better for long guns and the X300 is perfect for any rail equipped handgun. For several years I ran a X300 and later X300U at 12 O'clock on a SBR and prefer the Scout due to its more robust mount.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have both (M600U and X300U).  The Scout beam is tighter with more throw, and accordingly less spill.  It is a great med-long range spotter and is also good for short range.  The X300U has less range but greater spill, and has a better beam for very short distances.  I prefer the Scout as it penetrates deeper into the shadows if your illuminating into rooms as you walk a hallway.  I have no way to measure, but can see how one could say that they both output the same total lumens, but one is spottier and one is floodier.  IMHO, the Scout is better for long guns and the X300 is perfect for any rail equipped handgun. For several years I ran a X300 and later X300U at 12 O'clock on a SBR and prefer the Scout due to its more robust mount.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/6933/IMG_20131107_165345_132_zps00e85e66.jpg
View Quote

Yahtzee!

This is exactly what I assumed, but thank you for clarifying.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/6933/IMG_20131107_165345_132_zps00e85e66.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/6933/IMG_20131107_165345_132_zps00e85e66.jpg</a>
View Quote

This was my assumption from what I have read up on both.  I have an older M600 but 200lumens is not quite the same as 500.  That will change soon though
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This was my assumption from what I have read up on both.  I have an older M600 but 200lumens is not quite the same as 500.  That will change soon though
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/6933/IMG_20131107_165345_132_zps00e85e66.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/6933/IMG_20131107_165345_132_zps00e85e66.jpg</a>

Same.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
The scout comes with two switches, both are much better then the toggle switch that comes with the x300u. I sold both X300u that I had because the switch would stick on and was not smooth to operate. The pressure switch and push button on the scout is a better system.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I have both and IMHO the X300U should be strictly a pistol light. The M600U is definately  more robust and doesn't have plastic mounting rails like the X300 does.

I have seen two X300s get ripped off at the range.

I do believe there is a company that makes replacement rails with an integrated shield to cover the toggle so you don't have an AD.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#17]
any updates?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have both and IMHO the X300U should be strictly a pistol light. The M600U is definately  more robust and doesn't have plastic mounting rails like the X300 does.

I do believe there is a company that makes replacement rails with an integrated shield to cover the toggle so you don't have an AD.
View Quote

They do and I destroyed one.

I agree with the guys above: for carbines the extra throw of the scout is nice. The X300U packs a lot of light but it is floody.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that an SR02 tape switch?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree with the guys above: for carbines the extra throw of the scout is nice. The X300U packs a lot of light but it is floody.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. The X300 rail mount is plastic and easily broken compared to the Scout mount. Leave the X300U as a pistol light or spend the extra cash to buy the aluminum replacement rails. By the time you buy the rails, replacement battery door and tape switch you could have bought the Scout light.

Unity Tactical EXO

Surefire XT and SR07 switch

$198 (X300U) + 178 (XT & SR07) + $27 (Unity Tactical EXO) = $402
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top