Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2014 12:51:42 PM EDT
This was something I've found.  I was looking for another drop-in that had some more throw/tighter hot-spot than a Malkoff M61W. Anyone used one? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have experience with the Elzetta dropins, but I can speak some what generally about the optics.  The TIR optics tend to give a more even beam pattern.  Typically they have less side spill/flood.  So in some cases they can be better throwers than those running on reflectors.  But it really depends on the design.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have experience with the Elzetta dropins, but I can speak some what generally about the optics.  The TIR optics tend to give a more even beam pattern.  Typically they have less side spill/flood.  So in some cases they can be better throwers than those running on reflectors.  But it really depends on the design.
View Quote

Is 8 degrees a tight beam pattern? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
For the most part, yes.  It also has to do with the size of the optic.  I have a "narrow" beam lens on a light I built.  The OD of the lens was like 15 or 18mm and that thing is far from a narrow beam.  But then again the light doesn't have a huge amount of space to get collimated (or whatever the proper term is) well so it tends to just flood out the front.  I don't think this is a problem for the larger diameter TIR optics.  Perhaps send a PM to Elzetta (they are an ind partner or sponsor on here and their CS seems pretty good.  I am sure they could give you the skinny.  They seem like nice enough folks.  Which reminds me, I need to start saving my pennies so I can get one of their new single cell lights.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top