Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2014 9:24:45 PM EDT
Just purchased another AR and going with the KISS theme and lightweight. Went with the PWS MK-114. I see most people here use Surefire, but as most people do I went a little crazy with purchasing the accessories and of course more ammo. But do any of you guys have any experience with Fenix Lights on a weapon? I have one I keep in the Jeep that I like but not sure how it would hold up on a weapon if it is fired quite often. I tried the search function but nothing turned up. Thanks for any help guys!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Fenix makes great lights.

Check out solar force.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a tk15 on an IWC mount. Probably 500 thru it like that. Light always checks out. Great lights.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
For a USA made bargain light with a great warranty, check out the Surefire G2X Tactical.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag for more info
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a tk11 I bought off of a friend.  The switch never really worked right.  I finally modded a switch to fit and it kind of sucks as its a reverse clicky.  If it wasn't for the switch sucking balls I would consider getting one, but I would never put it on a "serious use" gun.  For those, if I am on a budget, I get the G2X Tactical.  As mentioned its the best bang for the buck going.  Plus its really hard for the SF twisty type tail caps to go wrong.  Plus their beam pattern is pretty good IMO.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Fenix PD35. It's kind of an odd size at .900" (most it seems, are either .800" or 1"), but it's very bright, seems well made and the entire setup was $111 (light, VTAC mount and pressure switch).
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a USA made bargain light with a great warranty, check out the Surefire G2X Tactical.
View Quote

This. GG&G/Magpul both make great mount for around $20-$25.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the responses guys. Pretty sure I'm going to go with a Thorntail mount to go straight on the Keymod. Not really a fan of a the pressure switch so Fenix may be the way to go with a tailcap.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had really good experience with the PD35. I run two of them as weapon mounted lights on different builds and a TK15 that I retired off my belt got placed on another rifle. I run my rifles hard and often at night, no hicups. I carry a PD35 on my duty belt and another as my EDC light, with a healthy stash of charged 18650s life is good and the world is bright.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
G2x pro having owned both brands many times over.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really a good choice for a weaponlight. The multiple modes can switch which isn't good.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#12]
What makes you say this? I ask because I'm in the market for a handheld light and have been looking at Fenix, Solarforce ect.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What makes you say this? I ask because I'm in the market for a handheld light and have been looking at Fenix, Solarforce ect.
View Quote

Who are you speaking to? About what? It helps if you use the quote bar.
       P.S. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to give advise.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

On a handheld it's DAMN hard to beat a Fenix TK41. Uses 8 AA batteries and kicks out 900 lumens with outstanding throw.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not really a good choice for a weaponlight. The multiple modes can switch which isn't good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make single mode.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#16]
They're nice...just don't drop them from about 6 or so feet off the ground after that they're garbage. Oh and be sure to stock up on all the batteries you can get, their whores for batteries.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They make single mode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make single mode.

Then why suggest the pro version?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They're nice...just don't drop them from about 6 or so feet off the ground after that they're garbage. Oh and be sure to stock up on all the batteries you can get, their whores for batteries.
View Quote

What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm assuming you're talking about the guy saying the G2X Pro isn't a good weapon light.  If my assumption is correct, it's because multiple mode lights (where the modes are selected by subsequent tailcap presses) are discouraged for weapons mounted use.  Reason behind that is you don't always know which mode will come on if you're using it in momentary mode several times over a short duration.

If you want a G2X for a weapon, get the Tactical version which is single mode output.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make single mode.

I thought they were all called pros.  My humble apology.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make single mode.

Haha no it's all cool dude. Just want to make sure OP doesn't buy a 15 lumen weaponlight.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I actually prefer multiple mode lights as weapon lights for my rifles. I like having my 850 lumens for outdoor search, ID, and lume and then be able to power down to 170 lumens for indoor work. My defaults are set to "burn your retinas" bright and I have never had them change during firing or a clear.

In fact, the only time it has changed other then me manually doing it is the auto-power down when the batts getting critically low.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I actually prefer multiple mode lights as weapon lights for my rifles. I like having my 850 lumens for outdoor search, ID, and lume and then be able to power down to 170 lumens for indoor work. My defaults are set to "burn your retinas" bright and I have never had them change during firing or a clear.

In fact, the only time it has changed other then me manually doing it is the auto-power down when the batts getting critically low.
View Quote

Ever been in a high stress situation with that light? Ever taken training replicating a high stress situation before with that light?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ever been in a high stress situation with that light? Ever taken training replicating a high stress situation before with that light?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, And Yes. One precludes the other. Without testing, nothing makes it to deployment. I won't trust any equipment; be it light, optic, load carrying or firearm without training with it until I am comfortable utilizing it in what you refer to as a "high stress situation."  I gave the same process to my Surefire and Streamlights as well, which is why I choose to move my X300 off my handguns. Found it to be more difficult to manipulate then my TLR1S.

I understand the need to alpha-check the potential mall ninja masses, but some of us are Sheepdogs for a living and not a costume party.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quick update, ended up going with the WMLX on a HSP Keymod mount. Thanks for all the help guys.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a Fenix PD35. It's kind of an odd size at .900" (most it seems, are either .800" or 1"), but it's very bright, seems well made and the entire setup was $111 (light, VTAC mount and pressure switch).
<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/erik996/media/c9e77354d002c983a49629f3f07168a0_zps970715fb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/erik996/c9e77354d002c983a49629f3f07168a0_zps970715fb.jpg</a>
View Quote

How is the Fenix tapeswitch holding up? It seems awfully cheap and half of me says to get it and try it out and the other half says its going on my rifle, I dont want it to fail when I need it the most. Also was wondering about the size too, what mount size did you go with? 1"?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive been running a pd32 ue on my SWAT rifle for over a year now and love it.  Mounted in a magpul rail mount it gets it forward of the barrel enough to get rid of the shadow and still falls perfectly where my thumb falls for the tailcap
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top