Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2014 4:56:55 AM EDT
I am having trouble deciding on a light for my SBR. It is a 11.5" BCM upper with a 10" BCM KMR rail. I am right handed and my left hand is usually almost all the way out towards the front of the rail. I am having trouble deciding if I should mount the light on the left or right (or top). One problem I think I might have is if I move the light forward to keep rail space open, it will be out too far past the muzzle.

Thanks for any advice!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Well the way i see it and how I have mine, you always want to be able to shoot your firearm at any point in time (not remove your hand to mess with a light) , so it makes sense to keep your shooting hand on the grip, so it would make sense to manipulate any light or laser with your left hand. But..................

When I was using a pressure switch, I had the switch in a position where my fingers of my left hand landed on the handguard

But now I use a pushbottom on the back of my surefire, so I keep the light mounted on the left now, easier to reach.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
8" SBR with can.  Light is M300B in an HSP thorntail mount.

12" SBR.  Light is P2X Fury in an HSP thorntail mount

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It's all preference. Where you position the mount, depends on the light itself, and where you put your hand on the handguard/rails.

For a SBR, right hand shooter, I would recommend a SureFire M300U on an offset mount, on the bolt catch side. If you're using a tape switch, you can mount the light on the ejection side.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  I do like that Thorntail mount.  The only thing that I worry about is getting a light that is small enough, which the Scout solves, but at greater coat and reduced light output.  It's a tough decision.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks!  I do like that Thorntail mount.  The only thing that I worry about is getting a light that is small enough, which the Scout solves, but at greater coat and reduced light output.  It's a tough decision.
View Quote

Dont know how much light you need or what you want your firearm to do. But I wanted small and compact. I picked this light;

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/e2d-led-defender-ultra.html

Its great for my SBR which is my house gun. It throws enough light thatll turn any room or area into daylight. I dont know if they all can do it, but I like the options this light offers, I can do Lo Beam, Hi Beam, momentary or On with either setting.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
PWS Diablo.
Surefire X300 mounted on the right hand side. Worked really well!

[/URL]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
12.5" DD barrel with a 10" KMR and I love it so far!  11.5" would work well too and it is ambidextrous.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is what my buddy is running.  Its a 16" barrel, but gives you another idea.  Placement is perfect for me.  If you are worried about muzzle blast you can just put a little vasoline on the lens to make it easier to clean the crap off.  Or go full Tier 1 and rock a can on there, problem solved.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here is what my buddy is running.  Its a 16" barrel, but gives you another idea.  Placement is perfect for me.  If you are worried about muzzle blast you can just put a little vasoline on the lens to make it easier to clean the crap off.  Or go full Tier 1 and rock a can on there, problem solved.

http://arsonmachine.com/bgimage.jpg
View Quote

I wish!  Not in VT, though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://arsonmachine.com/bgimage.jpg

so you can have SBRs but no cans?  Or are you just building a "pistol"?  that said the mount in the pic can be cantilevered out in front of the rifle pretty good if you need it out of the way.  I also have a new semi custom light that should be inbound soon that will also help with this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, SBR is ok, suppressors are no good. It is a $20 or $25 fine...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the Inforce WML but now that a 500 lumen model is available I am gonna have to try one. HERE

Thorntail mount also.

</a>" />

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the same barrel/rail and I'm very happy with a M300U on a Noveske KeyMod mount and a SR tape switch pushed all the way forward against my MBUS Pro.  It gives me the most rail space for my left hand.  I also have an IWC Thorntail and Scout/WML but I didn't like it nearly as much.  The 10" rail is too short for me to comfortably mount one of those lights on the left side, and the spot where I would have put the Thorntail isn't an option without grinding the forward recoil lug off of it.  I considered mounting it even further forward, but that wasn't very brake or suppressor friendly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I use an older Surefire m950 (with the LED drop in bulb) in a LaRue mount on the right side.  I have the pressure switch on my VFG.  However, the button is still reachable with my thumb should I need it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#15]

X300 Ultra on mine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:05:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
12.5" DD barrel with a 10" KMR and I love it so far!  11.5" would work well too and it is ambidextrous.

<a href="http://s229.photobucket.com/user/jlficken/media/DD_KMR_1_zps642bf4c1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee30/jlficken/DD_KMR_1_zps642bf4c1.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you considered the TangoDown FFA-01?

works for lasers too....

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
That looks interesting, too!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#19]
For serious work I'd go x300 ultra hands down, as I don't see any advantages of the scout 300.

But for my 7.5" I just wanted something short that could run rechargeables, so a single r123, and could use a tape switch.

Ended up with an Olight M10 weapon kit, and am happy. No spring on the positive terminal, and runtime on high (350 lumens) is short, but does what I wanted.

Depending on your setup, I'd try to just swing a standard 2x123. Only 1.5 inches longer (plus a little extra weight).
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#20]
My vote is one of the scout lights, with an offset mount of your choice. (I like the Gear Sector mount.)
The X300 series hasn't proven to be durable enough for rifle use, unless you're mounting it with the tail cap against a FSB, or another object that will protect it. That's just been my experience, though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Ugly as SIN but I like the idea!

Quick question, is any light reflected back towards you within the sight?

From the pictures, it looked like the pass-thru cutout had a flat section internally at the 12:00 position, (I assume for securing the front sight post), and looked like it might reflect some light back towards the user...

Also, how wide is the actual front sight post? Seems skinnier than standard from the pics.

Sean
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I ended up going with the Mini Scout with Noveske mount and SR07 switch.  I like the placement of the light quite a bit.  It is tight to the rail.  It places the end of the bezel right at the start of the flash hider and takes up as little rail space as possible.  The SR07 switch cable is too long, so I am thinking about getting an SR03.  Thanks for all the ideas!
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top