Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2014 6:50:55 AM EDT
I'm shopping for a Surefire M951 or M952 and the prices are all over the place ranging from $100 to $500.

$100 for a new light on a local gun forum genuine or is that price just too good to be true.

What's right and how do I tell if it is genuine?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm shopping for a Surefire M951 or M952 and the prices are all over the place ranging from $100 to $500.

$100 for a new light on a local gun forum genuine or is that price just too good to be true.

What's right and how do I tell if it is genuine?
View Quote

The M951's tend to go for $75-150 new and used.  So $100 isn't out of line at all.  Seems a little high IMO, but I am a cheapskate.  I think $500 was the consumer retail on them or something.  Definitely not worth that much.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Right around $100 is fine, you can sometimes find them for $60 or around that range and that's a good deal anything really above $150 is starting to ask a little bit much. Of course it depends what they have with the light, But it should still be somewhere around that range.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I paid $85 for one used with a new bulb, batteries, and a tape switch.  Put a LED in it for $8 and a Larue mount on it.  GTG.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]
They are an outdated design by todays standards, which is why the prices are so low nowadays.  They are large, heavy, not that bright, and they don't have great battery life.  That being said they are reliable, tough, and easily upgraded for better brightness and runtime.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The prices are low for one simple reason. Standard Issue, Surefire's were the standard issue weaponlight for awhile and they were a class IX item so they didn't need to be turned in so guys got issued a shit ton of them and sold what they didn't want/need etc... That's outside of just the outright theft that occurs. This is why anytime an item like this becomes standard issue, the market gets flooded. Pretty simple really. That said, they are now an outdated design and the prices will continue to drop on them and for good reason.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The prices are low for one simple reason. Standard Issue, Surefire's were the standard issue weaponlight for awhile and they were a class IX item so they didn't need to be turned in so guys got issued a shit ton of them and sold what they didn't want/need etc... That's outside of just the outright theft that occurs. This is why anytime an item like this becomes standard issue, the market gets flooded. Pretty simple really. That said, they are now an outdated design and the prices will continue to drop on them and for good reason.
View Quote

Not terribly out dated once you shove a 400lm drop in into one.  But with the incan they are totally out classed by other lights.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input. I'll reconsider a newer model light or jump on one of the sub $100 ones if I find one.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I'll reconsider a newer model light or jump on one of the sub $100 ones if I find one.

View Quote

You can look on eBay, that's where I found mine. $70 for just the light, another $30 got me a replacement tape switch for it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Is the price difference between the 951 and 952 worth it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
They sell for roughly the same price, maybe slightly more for a 952.  Only difference is the mount.  951 is dual thumscrew, 952 is A.R.M.S. throw lever.  951's are more common, which is why they tend to be a little cheaper.  

Quoted:
Is the price difference between the 951 and 952 worth it?
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top