Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2014 5:42:06 PM EDT

its the last thing I "need" for my ar  but the "need" is what I am curious to know, I can see the dbal coming in handy in certain situations  but is the thing work the price tag ? I have never seen one in person so please chime in
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have night vision?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have night vision?
View Quote

not at the present but its on the table for the future
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch DVOR for sales, they had the Burris DBAL's on sale for less than $600 iirc. There are $300 PEQ-15 clones on ebay that aren't *total* garbage, but it's like the difference between paying $400 for gen-1 night vision and $1000 for gen-2, the less expensive one is less than half as good as the more expensive one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Watch DVOR for sales, they had the Burris DBAL's on sale for less than $600 iirc. There are $300 PEQ-15 clones on ebay that aren't *total* garbage, but it's like the difference between paying $400 for gen-1 night vision and $1000 for gen-2, the less expensive one is less than half as good as the more expensive one.
View Quote

I don't have an account their, my plan was to either buy one on the EE or just buy one flat out
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I would save your money towards night-vision first.

Then I would buy a CT Railmaster IR or Lasermax Uni IR (~$150). Try it out for a while and see if you really need the capabilities of the DBAL-L2, which is getting kind of long in the tooth. It would be better to get a CQBL that has a slaved laser, or really save your pennies and get a D2 with the nice illuminator.

Basically ask yourself why would you need the laser before you have nothing to use it with, and then ask yourself exactly what you need out of the laser.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then I would buy a CT Railmaster IR or Lasermax Uni IR (~$150). Try it out for a while and see if you really need the capabilities of the DBAL-L2, which is getting kind of long in the tooth. It would be better to get a CQBL that has a slaved laser, or really save your pennies and get a D2 with the nice illuminator.

Basically ask yourself why would you need the laser before you have nothing to use it with, and then ask yourself exactly what you need out of the laser.
View Quote

its not nv only it does have a day laser as well ( green/red)
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But there are plenty of visible lasers less than $200.

I'd agree that you need night vision before an infrared laser. Get at least a gen-2 scope or monocular and you might not even need the laser/illuminator. If your plan is for a dedicated set of goggles and not something you can clip onto the rifle, or you have something with a fixed carry handle that would mount a NV scope obscenely high-over-bore then the laser is a given.

You don't need to pay anything to have an account with DVOR, all you have to do is put up with the atrociously-bad puns they use in naming their sales.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is pretty much useless. I don't know anyone who uses the visible lasers for anything other than zeroing. As said before if you want a visible laser there are a lot cheaper options that are more low profile and well suited to the task. If you absolutely must have on get the CQBL since it is slaved.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Which is pretty much useless. I don't know anyone who uses the visible lasers for anything other than zeroing. As said before if you want a visible laser there are a lot cheaper options that are more low profile and well suited to the task. If you absolutely must have on get the CQBL since it is slaved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He may have a fixed sight base.  CQBL won't work.  Be sure to give him the "gotchas" as well as the benefits (slaved lasers)
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He may have a fixed sight base.  CQBL won't work.  Be sure to give him the "gotchas" as well as the benefits (slaved lasers)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. Although the CQBL can easily be mounted on the side or bottom rail. Honestly the OP has been very unclear about what his projected use is for the laser (hunting?target shooting?shtf?).
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

True. Although the CQBL can easily be mounted on the side or bottom rail. Honestly the OP has been very unclear about what his projected use is for the laser (hunting?target shooting?shtf?).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its ok thanks for all the heads up
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top