Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2014 9:43:36 AM EDT
What do you guys think?  Botach just got theirs in stock & are selling them for $85 shipped, $20 more than the Pro-Tac HL.  Uses 3 CR123A instead of 2 like the Pro-Tac HL but is almost twice as bright.  No tape switch for it though.  Too big for a rifle light?

New technology allows us to put 1,100 lumens in the palm of your hands! The ProTac HL 3 provides extraordinary brightness with a wide beam pattern that lights your entire area.
TEN-TAP® Programming - Choice of three operating modes:
1.) high/strobe/low (factory default) 2.) high only 3.) low/high
•High for maximum illumination: 1,100 lumens; 36,000 candela; runs 1.5 hours
•Low for a less intense beam and longer run time: 35 lumens; 1,200 candela; runs 36 hours
•Strobe for signaling or disorienting: runs 1.5 hours
•Solid State power regulation provides thermal management and regulated intensity
•Gasket-sealed, glass lens with anti-reflective coating
•Length: 7.10"
•Weight: 9.3 oz (with batteries)
•Optimized electronics provide thermal management and regulated intensity
•Durable, anodized aluminum construction; IPX7 waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
•Includes three 3V CR123A lithium batteries and nylon holster
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, if nothing else it will be great for starting a survival fire.

IDK, if I had a light that is insanely more powerful than its peers for that size, I think Id ask for more than $85. Makes me wonder where they are cutting cost.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IDK, if I had a light that is insanely more powerful than its peers for that size, I think Id ask for more than $85. Makes me wonder where they are cutting cost.
View Quote

Is it that they are cutting cost or are others price gouging.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TBD, not available at a lot of places yet. MSRP $155. A lot of places are asking about $90 but its not available until May.

A comparable surefire with only 500 lumen is priced $255 MSRP and price about $190.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Surefires are always way over priced compared to the Streamlights . IMHO Streamlights are great lights.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Surefires are always way over priced compared to the Streamlights . IMHO Streamlights are great lights.
View Quote

In firefighting, Streamlight pretty much owns the market.  We beat the hell out of them and they keep working even at 400+ degrees.  That said, I still prefer Surefire when it comes to recoil sensitive applications.  Both work great though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I just ordered one of these, $81.95 shipped.  They are available from several vendors already despite the April / May release date.  I'm looking forward to getting this one, it will be my brightest light by far.  I already have the ProTac HL 600 lumen and it seems to be a great light.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just ordered one of these, $81.95 shipped.  They are available from several vendors already despite the April / May release date.  I'm looking forward to getting this one, it will be my brightest light by far.  I already have the ProTac HL 600 lumen and it seems to be a great light.
View Quote

Can anybody recommend me a good light mount for this light?  This is for a 10.5" pistol build
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like a pretty big light for a pistol build, but I'm thinking any 1" mount should work.  

Quoted:

Can anybody recommend me a good light mount for this light?  This is for a 10.5" pistol build
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered one through LA police gear for $87.99, they are doing free shipping on orders over $90, threw in a 6 pack of energizer cr123s, added the LAPG discount code and Got the package for $93.08

But they say it won't ship for 10 to 16 days
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I planned to order mine from them once they were in stock, but my impatience got the best of me.  They are a pretty large Streamlight dealer so hopefully they get them in soon.  

Quoted:
Ordered one through LA police gear for $87.99, they are doing free shipping on orders over $90, threw in a 6 pack of energizer cr123s, added the LAPG discount code and Got the package for $93.08

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I got my Streamlight in from Botach today. This is my first tactical flashlight, but not my first light so I have an general idea as to what makes a good light. The light itself is what I think most people would expect from Streamlight. It's sturdy, well built, and has some heft to it without being what I'd call heavy or cumbersome. Not for a light that puts out 1100 lumens that is.

Botach also shipped a picatinny rail mount. It's nothing fancy, but it does the job like it's supposed to.

The light was easy to install and I don't feel that it's cumbersome on the rifle despite how long it is. I do believe that a tape switch will help, but perhaps that's just my personal preference. For a lot of you, you may be able to mount the light back far enough where you can access the switch on the light without a tape. That, and a better mount may make a difference for some of you. For me, I'm keeping the light as forward as possible so that the barrel doesn't cast a shadow.

As to the brightness, well, it's friggen bright. Seriously. I made the mistake of looking at it directly while it was on and am still seeing the after affects even as I'm typing this. Is it 1100 lumens? I have no way of telling you, but it is brighter than any other flashlight I own. The beam isn't too focused. It has a nice cone of brightness that I think most of us want from something this bright. I'll take it out tonight to see how far it projects, but I think it's more of an area flashlight than a reach out and touch the moon light. It will have zero problems blinding all but those who are already blind or break into homes wearing a welding mask.

Here's a couple pics for you:

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, first thing that comes to mind is "overkill".
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
We need some night shots!  how is the throw ar distance?
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Showing in stock now at LAPG

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Might be a good choice for Hog hunting. ...
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
FWIW when the flashlight head and reflector are wider than the barrel very little "shadow" effect will occur.  OTOH, hot gases will FU the light's lens when it is stupid close to the muzzle.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right, just checked my order it said shipped with a date stamp of tomorrow

Cant wait to get it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#18]
The weather has been crap for the past two days, but I'll see if I can get some night shots of it tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Got mine today.  Looks pretty nice. It is a good bit bigger than my ProTac HL 600.  The reflector is larger / longer, so I'm hoping it has some decent throw.  I have no plans to weapon mount it, I've just been wanting a super bright handheld that wasn't too big.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I finally got to take some pics. Overall, I'm happy with how far it throws its beam and how bright it is outside. The quality of the pics aren't the best, but I could clearly see out to about 250 feet. That's the max distance of where I could could tell how far the light was using known objects, but I think that if I was pointing it at something further that it would light it up pretty good. The beam is fairly wide and is bright throughout the width of the cone.

The shed is almost 100 feet away.

It's hard to see, but there's a picnic table at the far end of the pic that is about 250 feet away. I could clearly see it from where I was, but the camera wasn't up to the job.

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Just got mine, love it.  I think I will order a few more.

Do you guys think these would make a good mounted light on an 9.5" SBR?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I got mine today,  im impressed.  Quite a bit brighter than my 500 lumen surefire fury,  the throw is great on this thing too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you guys that also own one give it a good shake for me?  when i do i can hear the batteries shaking in the tube, just wanted to see if this was normal or if mine got sloppy tolerences.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can you guys that also own one give it a good shake for me?  when i do i can hear the batteries shaking in the tube, just wanted to see if this was normal or if mine got sloppy tolerences.
View Quote

If the rattle bugs you try putting a rolled up sheet of paper in the tube.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#25]
The HL 3 seems to put out an honest 1100 lumens when compared to other similar lights such as the Malkoff Hound Dog and SureFire P3X Fury.  It's more than just a ProTac HL with a longer body as it has a completely different head on it that measures over 1.6" in diameter, placing it between the Hound Dog and Fury in size.  Like other XM-L (or XM-L2) based lights it has a bright spill beam but the HL 3 has a much tighter hot spot (and thus longer throw) than the P3X Fury.  The overall spill of the HL 3 is also slightly narrower than most other XM-L lights.

The following beamshots show the HL 3, the P3X Fury and Malkoff Hound Dog (Cool White version with XM-L2) to give some perspective.

Additional beamshots and side-by-side comparisons with several other lights can be found in the full ProTac HL 3 Review.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Great review on your website.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Damnit.  That thing is incredible, and now my 600 lumen protac feels inadequate.  

Damn you Streamlight!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Great review on your website.
View Quote
I'm glad you liked it!

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine is on the way.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I got mine last night.  It's brighter than the sun.  Like the heft of it. I am still getting used to the partial clicks to change settings. I think I'm going to go with low then high for the settings.

Oh and Cheaper than dirt has them in stock for $75 bucks plus a ton of shipping.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I got mine last night.  It's brighter than the sun.  Like the heft of it. I am still getting used to the partial clicks to change settings. I think I'm going to go with low then high for the settings.

Oh and Cheaper than dirt has them in stock for $75 bucks plus a ton of shipping.
View Quote

Do you plan on rifle mounting it? Or just using it for a hand held? I'm ordering one now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Hand Held. I have an old Surefire G2 Led on my rifle.

Last night I made a comparison between my Surefire P2x 500 lumen version and the HL-3 Streamlight. All who saw it felt it was about 3x brighter than the Fury rather than the expected 2x... and the Fury is bright.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#33]
protacs are made in china.  
I use a 2x c123 model, no problems yet.
but they aint the same quality as a strion or stinger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
protacs are made in china.  
I use a 2x c123 model, no problems yet.
but they aint the same quality as a strion or stinger.
View Quote

I will agree with that, like mine but my strion is more solid.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Got mine on and ready to try out on Coyote's next weekend............ Bright sucker for sure.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got mine on and ready to try out on Coyote's next weekend............ Bright sucker for sure.
View Quote

Even if it was not "that" bright, I like it due to it's heft and feel.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top