Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2013 11:00:23 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide whether to go with either a Scout or X300 light for a 14.5" upper with DD 12" rail.

What are the advantages of one over the other. I'm planning on mounting the light most likely with an off-set mount and SF pressure switch.

The X300 has more lumans over the Scout light, but what advantages would I get with a Scout?
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Both are great lights, I have an X300u and a SF Single Cell "scout" (really a VTAC L4 Mini).

It really comes down to mounting IMHO.

12 Oclock is where the X300 shines.  

Anything else, just get the scout.

I don't like mounting lights at 6:00

ETA:  X300U can get had for $204 here - http://grabagun.com/surefire-x300u-a-blk-500-lm-led.html

Avoid amazon and ebay.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm trying to decide whether to go with either a Scout or X300 light for a 14.5" upper with DD 12" rail.

What are the advantages of one over the other. I'm planning on mounting the light most likely with an off-set mount and SF pressure switch.

The X300 has more lumans over the Scout light, but what advantages would I get with a Scout?

The X300 is rated at 170 lumens
Scout KX2C is rated at 200 lumens
X300U (Ultra) is rated at 500 lumens, and has the most useful beam pattern out of the three, IMO.

I would go with the X300U.  The X300 and Scout's beam profiles are just a little too narrow for me.  I like the extra spill the X300U offers for more situational awareness.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The cost ratio of the X300 Ultra is important too. You're looking at around 200 - 220 dollars for a 500 lumen light. Scout lights come at a significant premium over that. Even sourcing one for a deal price is usually no less than 300.

Surefire would really clean up on the X series if they designed a better tail cap for rifle/carbine use.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
i'd also wager the mount on the scout to be able to take more abuse.  the lower half of the x300 is polymer held on by six tiny screws.  if you arent planning on running your rifle over with a humvee the x300 is plenty durable.

i disagree, i think the tailcap is perfect for carbine use.  i prefer it over the tlr-1 tailcap (tho i dont hate the tlr1).  what exactly do you want different?  i just wish the remote switch didnt stick out so damn far.  i dont think anything surefire does to the x300 will make them sell any more than they already are.  nothing except dropping the price down to a more competative level.  at current prices you can buy two 300 lumen TLR-1's (or the new 630 lumen HL) for the cost of one x300.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking of going with the X300U with a Haley Strategic off set mount at the 3 O'Clock position, win a SF Pressure switch mounted behind the front BUIS. Does anyone currently run a similar set-up?
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
X300 works great for both rifles and pistols.  The scout is limited to rifles only.

That's a valuable feature.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The X300U's tailcap is held closed by a very small, very thin tab of plastic. It is definitely prone to breaking if it is left exposed - even a modest hit against a doorjamb or a drop from tabletop height tends to cause failure. This is why we recommend using the X300U only on pistols or secured against something (FSB, fixed front sight, etc) on rifles. There is a reason the X300 tailcaps are on Surefire's quick-order list of replacement parts...

That having been said, we do have both the X300U and Scout Lights available and ready to ship.

So even if I switch the stock tail cap to a Surefire pressure pad, I would still have to worry about it breaking off?

Also, I've been reading about a new Surefire M600U (500 Lumen LED). Any idea who might have this light in stock?

http://grabagun.com/surefire-m600c-scout-blk-500-lm-led.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
the pressure pad end cap is no more secure than the standard cap.  it mounts the exact same.

ive never actually seen an x300's battery door break off but that certainly doesnt mean it hasnt happened.  the biggest problem is as he said - if you drop the rifle and the battery door isnt snugly against a FSB or something like that, the battery door can/will pop open (shutting off the light and ejecting your batteries).  surefire's bandaid fix for this problem was to drill a hole through the battery door lever and you can run a cotter pin (included) through the hole to keep the door shut.  good luck changing batteries in the dark.

picture of the cotter pin
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all of the info. I think I'm going to go with an M600U if I can find one in stock somewhere. Otherwise, I'll just place an order through Surefire.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]
The new 200lumen SF mini Scout is about $250 and comes with a switch. I like my light at 11 o'clock and use my thumb on the button. Not a fan of wires but whatever works for you. My biggest complaint of the X300 on rifles is how it's activated. SF should come out with a switch similar to the Enforce. Running a XT07 gets a little busy for me with the little toggle switch and shit. I love my X300 on my Glock but I will keep with the Scouts on my sticks. 170-200 lumens is plenty bright. 500 is overkill, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The new 200lumen SF mini Scout is about $250 and comes with a switch. I like my light at 11 o'clock and use my thumb on the button. Not a fan of wires but whatever works for you. My biggest complaint of the X300 on rifles is how it's activated. SF should come out with a switch similar to the Enforce. Running a XT07 gets a little busy for me with the little toggle switch and shit. I love my X300 on my Glock but I will keep with the Scouts on my sticks. 170-200 lumens is plenty bright. 500 is overkill, IMO.

I'm actually actually thinking about going with a Surefire Mini Scout because of the compact size. How is the brightness (200 Lumens) on it for outdoor use?  I'm still debating on whether to wait for a 500 lumen M600U...whether of not I need all that extra brightness...
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The X300U's tailcap is held closed by a very small, very thin tab of plastic. It is definitely prone to breaking if it is left exposed - even a modest hit against a doorjamb or a drop from tabletop height tends to cause failure. This is why we recommend using the X300U only on pistols or secured against something (FSB, fixed front sight, etc) on rifles. There is a reason the X300 tailcaps are on Surefire's quick-order list of replacement parts...

That having been said, we do have both the X300U and Scout Lights available and ready to ship.

So even if I switch the stock tail cap to a Surefire pressure pad, I would still have to worry about it breaking off?

Also, I've been reading about a new Surefire M600U (500 Lumen LED). Any idea who might have this light in stock?

http://grabagun.com/surefire-m600c-scout-blk-500-lm-led.html

Yep, unfortunately the remote switch tailcap is held on by the same tiny nub of plastic.  

Quoted:
the pressure pad end cap is no more secure than the standard cap.  it mounts the exact same.

The tab on the pressure switch is reinforced. Don't know what you guys are talking about. I've never seen the locking lever on the x series lights break, but I'm sure it's possible. There's still the chance that something may pop it open. With the pressure pad switch the light usually still works even when popped open. The extra length of the switch prevents it from opening as wide as the normal switch.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the Scout Series. It's very adaptable, with tons of mounting options, a few tailcap options, aftermarket and factory bodies, and the ability to change and upgrade heads as time goes by.

There should be an M600U version out this year that will put out the same light as the x300U.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#18]
X300 Ultra mounted at 1:30 is a fantastic rifle light.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:28:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ive never actually seen an x300's battery door break off but that certainly doesnt mean it hasnt happened.  the biggest problem is as he said - if you drop the rifle and the battery door isnt snugly against a FSB or something like that, the battery door can/will pop open (shutting off the light and ejecting your batteries).  surefire's bandaid fix for this problem was to drill a hole through the battery door lever and you can run a cotter pin (included) through the hole to keep the door shut.  good luck changing batteries in the dark.

picture of the cotter pin
http://ttag.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/X300-ULTRA.jpg

I had my Surefires battery latch break during my train up for Afghanistan. It was mounted on an M249 SAW. Sent it back to Surefire and they fixed it and sent it back to me when I got in country. Used it for the rest of my tour on my M4. Oh, I also eventually replaced it with a Scout.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top