Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2013 4:46:50 AM EDT
I want to put a light on an AR that does not have a rail on it. It is a flat-top with a MagPul BUIS, freefloat handguard and sight tower gas block, and thats the way I want to keep the rifle.
Suggestions appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Duct tape?

j/k
Maybe this if you dont mid drilling 2 holes. You can use the small one to it covers up easy.

Or get a barrel clamp on mount for the light
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Elzetta?

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
That Elzetta looks to be about exactly what I'm looking for, especially because I do not have a  front sling mount on the rifle now. The sling swivel is a separate product apparently?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
ummmm....

duct tape?

There may be some barrel mount solutions out there....does the free float handguard have any way of attaching something to it, like a small piece of piccatinny rail, or screws for a flash light mount?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That Elzetta looks to be about exactly what I'm looking for, especially because I do not have a  front sling mount on the rifle now. The sling swivel is a separate product apparently?
Thanks!

The standard "permanent" sling loop on a front sight base can be used to activate the light if you want, the one shown on the blue gun was just a mock-up.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#6]
The standard "permanent" sling loop on a front sight base can be used to activate the light if you want,  

As long as there is no sling through that loop yes/no?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
.does the free float handguard have any way of attaching something to it, like a small piece of piccatinny rail, or screws for a flash light mount?  

Not without drilling. Its just a standard DPMS aluminum FF tube.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The standard "permanent" sling loop on a front sight base can be used to activate the light if you want,  

As long as there is no sling through that loop yes/no?

Either way, as long as it's not long enough to pull up and push the button when it's slung.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Only thing I could find with a quick google search - it's a cheap chinese knock off, but this could also work for you depending on whether you wanted to use a pressure pad

Surefire barrel mount
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you checked out IWC's offerings?

But what rail do you have, and what light do you plan on mounting?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]

There is no rail, nor have I selected a specific light yet.

Also, I do not know who "IWC" is?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is no rail, nor have I selected a specific light yet.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/Firearms/001_zps4318fde3.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/UncleAlvah1/Firearms/002_zpscfb94e32.jpg

Also, I do not know who "IWC" is?

Impact weapon components.

They make a ton of direct attach mounts for various tube and non-railed handguards. Not sure there's much that can be done with that tube though. The Elzetta might be one of the better choices with that setup.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
The Elzetta might be one of the better choices with that setup.  

I think you're right.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok,

The best option IMO

Bayonet Lug Mount

I run these on several carbines...and haven't seen any difference in accuracy of the weapon...

Or run the blam2 if you don't want sling loops...

Bret

P.s.

After that is on the weapon, you have a 1913 rail and can mount dedicated weapons lights...I'm not a fan of the flash lights and a holder...

I run surefire x300 and x400, streamlight tlr series as well...latest being the hp...
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Lot of good reply's here folks, I do appreciate it, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#17]
My vote goes to the Elzetta mount, mine has been awesome!
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My vote goes to the Elzetta mount, mine has been awesome!

I do like that mount, but I ended up going with the blam just for ease of changing...

All my weapon light are dedicated...so all are rail mounted...

I have about 15 or so, maybe 5 surefire x400's and like 8 streamlights and a few insight lights...

They all mount on that rail in a couple of seconds...

Just my 2 cents...

Bret
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 3:51:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Streamlight Handguard Rail

Can also be used with the Streamlight Rail Mount for Streamlight TL-2 and TL-3 light.

Used to be available all together as the Thunder Ranch Rifle Illumination Kit, but it seems that's been discontinued.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#21]
MI Tactical Light Mount
Vltor Scout Mount
The light is a G2 with an upgraded LED from TNVC. I'll be replacing it with an single output P2X fury soon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I really like the surfire X300 I also like the 12 O'clock position. If you don't want to change rails I would go with something like this.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/562824_BattleComp___Mossie_Tactics_2400_Light_Mount___INTRO_Price__65.html

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really like the surfire X300 I also like the 12 O'clock position. If you don't want to change rails I would go with something like this.

Be careful you don't burn the crap out of yourself actuating that one.  Also, your hand placement may not be compatible with your use of sights/red dot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be careful you don't burn the crap out of yourself actuating that one.  Also, your hand placement may not be compatible with your use of sights/red dot.

Yea… I don't personally run that setup. I do have a X300U at 12 O'clock with this Daniel Defense rail which is a much better option in my opinion.

You would just have to be careful….
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I figured I put up a photo...

Not my normal...I can't even find my old camera...So it's just cell phone pics...

this is my setup...

It's a CDP BLAM mount with the TLR-1S HP light and remote tape switch is in a magpul illumination kit on the other side...

As you can see I tried it on the side and didn't like it...Still have the cantilever rail there...

Works GREAT! and has nice location for two point sling.

Sorry about the rug in the background...
Bret
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top