Site Notices
7/23/2014 4:06:00 PM
Author
Posted: 1/31/2013 1:17:49 AM
Alright well I just recently completed a build and wanted to add a laser for the finishing touch and have no idea where to start, im lookin for a reliable but not to expensive laser to throw on my rock river and would love any feedback you guys got. Thanks!
Dannofree
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2013 1:53:05 AM
[Last Edit: 1/31/2013 1:53:34 AM by Dannofree]
Kryptonite k-15 is about as cheap as I'd go. They are over $100. And even then they get mixed reviews.

. The ones you see for pistols can be used but for the ones that stand up to rifle use your not saving a whole lot and the controls are not really suited for a rifle.

Anything worthy of real use is going to be pretty wallet draining
mt460
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2013 2:58:40 AM
Take a look at the Crimson Trace Rail Master. I have one for my pistol, but it seems sturdy enough for an AR15.
http://www.crimsontrace.com/01-9690
MT460
If there is anything dangerous to do,
That is mine." -- Sioux warrior song
patriot_man
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2013 5:54:19 AM
laser devices
Surveyor75
Surveyor75
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2013 6:54:58 AM
http://www.opticsplanet.com/lasermax-uni-max-rifle-value-pack.html

I'm haven't learned how to link it up.

this is the one I used very low pofile. good cost.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."
Sun Tzu
Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2013 8:23:15 AM
Originally Posted By teamglock22:
Alright well I just recently completed a build and wanted to add a laser for the finishing touch and have no idea where to start, im lookin for a reliable but not to expensive laser to throw on my rock river and would love any feedback you guys got. Thanks!

For 99.9% of end-users, professional or recreational, unless you're planning to invest in NV and get a combined IR/VIS laser, the cost of most duty-ready visible lasers is not justified by their utility.

A visible laser is useful only in a very narrow range of uses, and is usually more of a liability than an advantage to those not sufficiently trained in their use.

Of the visible lasers I would consider "duty ready," for the most part, you're looking at either the Insight CVL (AN/PEQ-5) - almost $1,000, and the LDI OTAL/ITAL series - over $500.

Honestly - if Insight is able to stick to the price objective for the CIVL slaved IR/VIS laser module, it is probably a better investment at around the $400-500 price point so that you have the option when funds allow to go to NV capabilities.

However, the CIVL is not yet available, and while a rough projected price point has been tentatively announced, there's no guarantee at the point that Insight will be able to match it when it becomes available.

~Augee
MB223PGH
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2013 9:33:40 AM
I use a TLR-4 on an AR and it works great. I have it sighted in with my eotech at 25 yards. Plus its a laser/light combo - saves space and weight and its about $100.
PseudoTy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2013 9:59:32 AM
Originally Posted By MB223PGH:
I use a TLR-4 on an AR and it works great. I have it sighted in with my eotech at 25 yards. Plus its a laser/light combo - saves space and weight and its about $100.

Are you able to sight in the laser or is it fixed?
I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.
Augee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/31/2013 3:26:53 PM
For light/laser combinations, IMHO, the best of the bunch would be the Surefire X400 and the Insight M6XLED.

~Augee
Ar-Bret
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2013 12:52:30 AM
Well,

I agree with the x400 being a good unit...

I also agree that 99.92% of people should not have a laser on thier ar...

Weapon lights are even a bit liabilas as it would be...

I have a laser on my ar pistol...it's just a toy anyhow...it would be the last weapon I'd use if I needed a weapon...

And yes it's a barska green laser...witch does work pretty good and very visiable...

But putting a beam that points to me is not first on my list.

The x400 I have on one weapon is usually just a light...not a laser.

Now, using a light has more uses than a laser...

I do have lasers on some glocks though...but my ars just have the ta31f-rmr on the flat top...even one has no rmr...all have a tanabrex...

In order of weapons needing a laser...
Last is a rifle or shotgun.
Next would be a baseball bat...I can see a real use there...
On a pistol, sure...carry weapon...never!
On an ar pistol, yep...but it's never more than a range you...
Maybe on you ssar slide fire equipped ar-15...sure...you might actually hit something with it...although still fun!

But, unless you have some serious training and years behind you don't put a laser on any rifle...
Remember that your rifle is your best friend, you don't want to give your best friend an inferiority complex do you...

I'd say put a nice light on there...I picked up a tlr-1s hp...get that with the remote tape switch...that's a usefull item...

Btw...the rifle I have the x400 on I've got the laser off!

Bret
teamglock22
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2013 1:00:21 AM
Originally Posted By Dannofree:
Kryptonite k-15 is about as cheap as I'd go. They are over $100. And even then they get mixed reviews.

. The ones you see for pistols can be used but for the ones that stand up to rifle use your not saving a whole lot and the controls are not really suited for a rifle.

Anything worthy of real use is going to be pretty wallet draining

Thanks man, I just ordered it a minute ago. Read some reviews and heard nothing but good things and love the way its set up with the pressure pad and everything. Exactly what I was lookin for, once I get the k-15 on my rifle ill definitely post some pics!
teamglock22
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/1/2013 7:28:33 PM
Originally Posted By Ar-Bret:
Well,

I agree with the x400 being a good unit...

I also agree that 99.92% of people should not have a laser on thier ar...

Weapon lights are even a bit liabilas as it would be...

I have a laser on my ar pistol...it's just a toy anyhow...it would be the last weapon I'd use if I needed a weapon...

And yes it's a barska green laser...witch does work pretty good and very visiable...

But putting a beam that points to me is not first on my list.

The x400 I have on one weapon is usually just a light...not a laser.

Now, using a light has more uses than a laser...

I do have lasers on some glocks though...but my ars just have the ta31f-rmr on the flat top...even one has no rmr...all have a tanabrex...

In order of weapons needing a laser...
Last is a rifle or shotgun.
Next would be a baseball bat...I can see a real use there...
On a pistol, sure...carry weapon...never!
On an ar pistol, yep...but it's never more than a range you...
Maybe on you ssar slide fire equipped ar-15...sure...you might actually hit something with it...although still fun!

But, unless you have some serious training and years behind you don't put a laser on any rifle...
Remember that your rifle is your best friend, you don't want to give your best friend an inferiority complex do you...

I'd say put a nice light on there...I picked up a tlr-1s hp...get that with the remote tape switch...that's a usefull item...

Btw...the rifle I have the x400 on I've got the laser off!

Bret

That's funny that you say that cause I just took my ss off my ar and replaced it with an acs so I could hit something! lol but I cant wait to get the k-15 and run it on top mainly just for looks and close range, cause when I shoot that's all i do is shoot close. Fast target acquisition is what im aimin to accomplish

mikepiet
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2013 12:29:10 AM
The pressure pad is junk. I did a review of the k-15 last (should be in the archives) year shortly after it was released. Not a bad unit but the pressure pad was very cheaply made.

Ar-Bret
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/2/2013 12:49:18 AM
Originally Posted By mikepiet:
The pressure pad is junk. I did a review of the k-15 last (should be in the archives) year shortly after it was released. Not a bad unit but the pressure pad was very cheaply made.

I bet it's better than the one that came with my glx barska...now that one is like three micro button switches inside a piece of shrink tube...

If it lasts longer than a few uses I'll be surprised...

Bret
SD307
TYPO KING
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2013 4:16:51 PM
laser max uni red is about $75 nice but not bright enough for daytime outside but none are.
Without a 22lr revolver life is joyless chaos and anarchy.
Wheelguns are ZEN
The only thing food stamps should used for: ammo, bait, and fishing poles (me).