Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2012 11:36:59 AM EDT
Hey guys

I know this has been discussed piecemeal in other threads, so I'm sorry if I'm just rehashing old info.  But I wanted to get some input on this.

I'm going to have a 13" VTAC alpha on a 16" Spikes Tactical and I'm thinking about what light to put on it.  I've heard a lot of good things about the X300 and was thinking about getting one for my AR.  I was thinking of mounting it at 12o'clock and all the way forward and putting my front sight behind it.  Are there any downsides to such a set up aside from losing just a smidge of sight radius?
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a great setup. The light is ambidextrous in that position. The side to side profile of the weapon is much thinner since you don't have a light hanging off of the side. The balance feels centered.

There are some solutions to avoid loosing your sight radius. Mossie Tactical has a mount that attaches to various front sights' that pushes the light further forward off of the rail and lower. The lower aspect helps keep your sight picture unobstructed. Here are a few of mine:

This is on a 7" Noveske NSR rail that I modified to shift the lights position further to the rear so the weapon will be more compact.

This is on a 13.5" Noveske NSR rail. The Mossie Tactical mount attaches to the Troy Industries BUIS.

I'd recommend looking into the Surefire X300 Ultra. It isn't much more money, and you get 500 lumens of output.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Considering the extra sight radius a 13" rail offers over a standard carbine FSB, the space used by the X300 will be negligible.  If you are also mounting an optic, the total sight radius of your BUIS will be even less important.  Once you are used to the slightly unconventional look, you will truly appreciate the simplicity and utility of such an extremely practical and uncluttered setup.

eta:  The controls on the Surefire X300 are ambi and can be momentarily activated by pushing the lever forward towards your target.  Turning the lever downwards would give you constant illumination.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.  I think I'm sold on this idea.  I was a little worried because to be honest I didn't know the X300 had switches on each side, but not that I know that this seems like a great setup.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The way you want it is the only way i would mount it cause at any other position i dont like the ergos. Only problem i see with that set up is it block the front sight a lil bit but issue can be trained away. Buy the x300 ultra and it will blow you away in a good way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually just got two x300 in the mail today! They look nice. I will be mounting one a DD Omega X Rail 12.0 FSP at 12 o'clock. I think it will work well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I looked to see where this was moved, but could not find it.

Has anyone else had the picatinny mount on the X300 completely fail?  I mounted it once and had a few rough drops with the rifle.  Now, all the little "nibs" that are supposed to keep it in place are worn off.

Any suggestions?  I really don't want to buy a $100+ mount for my $200 light in order to make it work, but now it won't stay on.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I just installed the X300 ultra with the tape switch and really like it.
Very light and very bright.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice and how did you mount the x300?
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I looked to see where this was moved, but could not find it.

Has anyone else had the picatinny mount on the X300 completely fail?  I mounted it once and had a few rough drops with the rifle.  Now, all the little "nibs" that are supposed to keep it in place are worn off.

Any suggestions?  I really don't want to buy a $100+ mount for my $200 light in order to make it work, but now it won't stay on.

Thanks

Maybe yours failed cause you adjust the tension wrong, and you can contact surefire about the problems. I am sure they will replace it for you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got it at the 3 o'clock position (right side) with the switch on the left side rail.
I have a fixed front sight so I can't use the 12 o'clock position.
I'm running it on a Vltor VIS upper/handguard.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got it at the 3 o'clock position (right side) with the switch on the left side rail.
I have a fixed front sight so I can't use the 12 o'clock position.
I'm running it on a Vltor VIS upper/handguard.

Id sure love one for my handgun. Any pics??
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I actually just got two x300 in the mail today! They look nice. I will be mounting one a DD Omega X Rail 12.0 FSP at 12 o'clock. I think it will work well.

So after trying out the X300 on my AR ordered a X300 Ultra. I will put the regular X300 on another pistol. I really like the 12 o'clock position for it!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So after trying out the X300 on my AR ordered a X300 Ultra. I will put the regular X300 on another pistol. I really like the 12 o'clock position for it!

pictures?
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Used the X200 on pistol and rifle for years.  Great light in its time.  Got the X300 for my rifle and used it for a year or three, thought it was perfect for room clearing.  Just bought the X300 Ultra for the duty rifle and it's a very nice light.  Lights up the whole room without being too bright and its only a few dollars more than the X300 delivered from brightflashlights.com.  X300 is now on the duty pistol  and the X200 sits in the safe with the Surefire 310R classic pistol light.  At least it won't get lonely.  Crappy cell pic included.

Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Where did you find this mount? Everything I could come up with from Mossie Tactics is a light mount that connects to a FSB.

Edit: Nevermind. Found it on Battlecomp.com.

Quoted:
It's a great setup. The light is ambidextrous in that position. The side to side profile of the weapon is much thinner since you don't have a light hanging off of the side. The balance feels centered.

There are some solutions to avoid loosing your sight radius. Mossie Tactical has a mount that attaches to various front sights' that pushes the light further forward off of the rail and lower. The lower aspect helps keep your sight picture unobstructed. Here are a few of mine:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/SMG/IMG_0436.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/SMG/IMG_0434.jpg

This is on a 7" Noveske NSR rail that I modified to shift the lights position further to the rear so the weapon will be more compact.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/Noveske/002-1.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/Noveske/001-1.jpg

This is on a 13.5" Noveske NSR rail. The Mossie Tactical mount attaches to the Troy Industries BUIS.

I'd recommend looking into the Surefire X300 Ultra. It isn't much more money, and you get 500 lumens of output.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Just put an X300 Ultra on my AR.  I'm using a LT mount and the ST tape switch with it.  Its awesome - light, bright, and flexible in that it can easily be transitioned to a handgun if I want.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Larue makes a quick-detech mount for the X300.  It's made life a lot easier.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#21]
The only issue with the LaRue mount is that it will raise the height of the light. So if you're using it at a 12 o'clock position, it will interfere with your sights/optics.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top