Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2012 10:07:21 AM EDT
I've been seeing alot of adds about Ultrafire flashlights and i was wondering if anyone was currently using one of these or may have used one in the past? If so can you please some feedback about it and your opinion on whether it would be a good weapon mounted light.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Every single ultrafire I've owned (hasn't been many, but I experimented for a while) has been garbage.  If you're looking for a weapon mounted light, buy American:  Streamlight or Surefire for example.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Every single ultrafire I've owned (hasn't been many, but I experimented for a while) has been garbage.  If you're looking for a weapon mounted light, buy American:  Streamlight or Surefire for example.

+1!

Buy once, cry once!

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a set of ultrafire rechargeable batteries, they seem to be fine.
The only economy friendly flashlight brand I've had great experiences with are Fenix. Durability and performance is second to none, and considering the price it's really really hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I've purchased a bunch of Ultrafire and similar chinese made stuff.

Fit/finish is nowhere near that of Streamlight and the like....

Small stuff like burrs on the threads of the cap are normal.

BUT...

Once you get past that, you're golden.

I've dropped a bunch of mine in pools, mud, etc. Banged them around, ran one over (forgot I left it on my bumper......whoops!), and have functioned flawlessly, except ONE, my oldest one. The driver failed, but 2 imns later I soldered the LED directly to the battery contacts, and it's still working today, years later...

There is a REASON that flashlights cost $200, just like there's a reason that YHM rails are ~$100 while Troy and DD are $200+

You DO get what you pay for, and you will get the best by paying top dollar for known brands, HOWEVER, you just can't beat a 300+ Lumen flashlight for $25..... At that point, they're almost disposable, but I've yet to find them to be. I only buy new ones to get more light and longer battery run time from the same (or smaller) package.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#5]
ive had several of them also and really havent had to many problems with them seen plenty of abuse as a flashlight never mounted one to a weopon. a solarforce is probably better, if your looking for a cheap light.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine bought a green one for hog hunting, mounted on a 30/30.  Seems to work ok, he's getting me one for my AR.  Will post report when I get it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're looking for a budget 6P clone, may I recommend a Solarforce L2P. It's head and shoulders above the Chinese "____fire" brands, and only a couple dollars more. The thing is actually Type 3 anodized.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're looking for a budget 6P clone, may I recommend a Solarforce L2P. It's head and shoulders above the Chinese "____fire" brands, and only a couple dollars more. The thing is actually Type 3 anodized.

+1
If you are going to buy a true budget light (which I wouldn't recommend for serious weapon use in any case,) Solarforce seems to be at the top of the heap compared to all of the others I've seen. Side by side against various *fire lights purchased by family and friends my Solarforce hosts have better cut threads, cleaner anodizing, and sturdier switches.

Couple an L2P host with a blemished Malkoff, throw in some good batteries and you have a more modular budget version of the Surefire 6PX at about half the price. Granted the knurling wont be as perfect, the tailcap won't be as bombproof reliable and the lens wont be as crystal clear as a Surefire but it will be close.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
If you are going to buy a true budget light (which I wouldn't recommend for serious weapon use in any case,) Solarforce seems to be at the top of the heap compared to all of the others I've seen. Side by side against various *fire lights purchased by family and friends my Solarforce hosts have better cut threads, cleaner anodizing, and sturdier switches.

Couple an L2P host with a blemished Malkoff, throw in some good batteries and you have a more modular budget version of the Surefire 6PX at about half the price. Granted the knurling wont be as perfect, the tailcap won't be as bombproof reliable and the lens wont be as crystal clear as a Surefire but it will be close.

I just saw a blemished Malkoff on the EE for like $25, that would make one hot under-$50-flashlight! OP, whatever you do, get GOOD batteries and a good charger. I have a Nitecore Intellicharge I4, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top