Site Notices
11/24/2014 4:59:23 PM
Author
Posted: 2/4/2011 6:27:30 PM EST
This is my first post but this forum seems professional so here goes...

I've been toying with a Colt LE 6920 I want to buy off a family-friend with Mako drop-in rails and a Surefire M961XM07 rail-mountable flashlight. The problem I have is that the Surefire, when mounted on the rails, is loose, even when trying the light on all 4 sides of the rails and ensuring that the light's screws are completely tightened. There is a non-Mako gangster grip already on the rails that secures tightly. What rememdies are out there, short of replacing the rails, light, or picking a different weapon, in order to securely mount the light on the rails?
m4pointman
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/4/2011 8:13:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/4/2011 8:14:04 PM EST by m4pointman]
I have a Surefire M951 which is similar to your light and it's hard to imagine it wouldn't tighten up on a quality rail. Between the two, Surefire flashlight and cheap Mako rail, I'd bet the rail is your problem. You could place a piece of material in the channel of the light mount when mounting to take out some of the wiggle room for a temp fix. Pictures of the rail and light /mount would be helpful.
Lindy_Hoppin_Gun_Nut
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2011 6:07:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/5/2011 6:09:39 AM EST by Lindy_Hoppin_Gun_Nut]
Did you tighten the thumb nuts using your fingers only or did you use a quarter (or other tools that is harder than your fingers) to tighten them? Are the treadings on the screws OK?

ETA: just like m4pointman said, if all failed, a shim is your friend - at least for a temporary fix.
MakoDefense
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2011 8:00:27 AM EST
Can you tell me what rail this is? Is it actually a Mako rail, and if so, what is the model number. All our rails should be built to spec, and if there should be no fit issue with any device that is built correctly.
Israeli Special Forces Training www.MakoDefense.com • Combat-Proven Weapons Accessories and Holsters www.themakogroup.com
MakoDefense
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2011 8:10:53 AM EST
OK, to help with the ID, is the rail one of the following? They will be marked FGR-3, NFR, or VFR if so.

Israeli Special Forces Training www.MakoDefense.com • Combat-Proven Weapons Accessories and Holsters www.themakogroup.com
ExtremelyAverageDude
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2011 11:40:26 AM EST
The packaging identifies the rails as:
MD-QR1
aluminum quad rail
handguards for AR15/M4

It does not however look like any of the 4 posted pictures
ExtremelyAverageDude
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2011 11:53:46 AM EST
Given your suggestion, I tried a quarter on the Surefire's thumbscrews. While I did get another quarter turn out of the screws, the light is no tighter on the mount. Currently searching the house for shimming material...
MakoDefense
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2011 7:25:02 PM EST
Ok, does the handguard look like either of the following:

MakoDefense
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/5/2011 7:33:09 PM EST
There were three versions of the MD-QR1. The first version was excellent, and a major US manufacturer approached the company that we had building them for us and the next thing we knew our rail was their newest product at a much higher price, while we received a large order of a totally different rail system that was pretty good, but not quite as nice as the original. We sold these off and then redesigned the system, so when I know which version you have I will know what I can do for you.
ExtremelyAverageDude
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/6/2011 7:42:37 AM EST
It's the smaller photo on the right, with the shark's dorsal fin on one end.
ExtremelyAverageDude
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/19/2011 6:57:11 PM EST
Hey Mako- any plans on getting back to me....?
(emailed techhelp@makosecurity.com a while ago and didnt get a response- was that the right address to write to?)
MakoDefense
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/19/2011 9:23:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/19/2011 9:30:23 PM EST by MakoDefense]
Yes, I am trying to find out if we still have one of the older styles that we could switch out for you. If you want to email about anything technical, you can email me through the address listed at AR15.com or IM me, and I will respond. I don't want to send you another of the current ones, because you will have the same problem. Improvements are in the works. The current one is OK but it is not an outstanding design.

I can also check to see if we can give you a discount on one of our high-end rail systems, like the NFR. (In other words, the difference between the price of the two.)
ExtremelyAverageDude
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/20/2011 4:20:23 PM EST
Okay great because I was worried that after our dialogue slowed that the issue was forgotten about. Definitely check into the discounted deal on your NFR model, because with great one-on-one customer service like this I'm not about to give up on Mako products.
MakoDefense
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 2/20/2011 4:43:38 PM EST
I'll let you know. The NFR is really nice.
ExtremelyAverageDude
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/2/2011 4:32:25 PM EST
hey there, any word yet?