Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 12:41:58 AM EDT
I'm new to ARs, but fairly versed with an M16A2.  That said, I'm trying to cost-effectively build up my new S&W M&P 15 sport II. I want both grip and bi-pod functionality for various reasons. The Grip Pod and T-Pod are both appealing, but having little experience with grips or bi-pods, I'm hoping to get some experienced advice. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Both are heavy. The surplus gripod is cheap. The Mako is not, but it's well build with metal legs and heavy duty polymer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both are heavy. The surplus gripod is cheap. The Mako is not, but it's well build with metal legs and heavy duty polymer.
View Quote
A real Grip Pod isn't cheap and it is well built from metal.  The cheap plastic gun show Grip Pods are just knock offs.  You can sometimes get real Grip Pods pretty cheap that fell out of government property somehow.

They are not that great a grip or as a bipod though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I suspected some definite sacrifices going this route, but with the size of the rifle (and my wallet), thinking might still be my best bet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Best option is no bipod and a rifle light enough to not need it, followed by a Larue QD Harris S-BRM, used as needed.

Grip pod is a heavy vertical grip, which won't help you do anything, and a poor bipod that does not handle uneven ground well.

Really a bad item for 99% of users.

I have used literally every type of vertical grip and bipod over the years. The VFG only helps when your rifle has too short a rail or is too heavy. Eliminating that is better than adding more crap.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. Honestly, A simple 2 point sling provided plenty of stability back in my M16 days, but all these other gadgets looked possibly helpful. I'll check out your recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO, a Grip Pod is nice if you want something that primarily serves as a VFG with the occasional usage as a bipod.  

If you've got a longer handguard that really doesn't necessitate a VFG, I'd skip it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer neither. If you need to shoot supported, the magazine makes a damned fine monopod. Or rest the rifle in the crook of the magwell& foreend against whatever cover you're behind.

Of the two, the Mako is heavier but provides an actual functioning bipod with independently adjustable legs, and stable feet.

The Grip Pod is completely worthless Both as a bipod and as a VFG. As mentioned, it is actually surprisingly unstable, unless you're shooting off a pool table.

If you're going for a precision build, go all the way with a Harris or Atlas bipod that you can fold up. If you're going for a GP gun, get out to the range and shoot more. It is a better use of money in terms of accuracy
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top